Update Google Chrome

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I keep getting messages to update Google Chrome. Is this normal?

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
Go to the settings menu in chrome--at the top right, the three horizontal bar button--and click "About Google Chrome". In that page, you should see either something about an update is available or "Google Chrome is up to date.".

Chrome updates in the background when it needs to, though I've heard for some it doesn't. Never heard Chrome alerting you to update though, so that might be a pop-up or something.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Did that. Thanks. Message as below.

Version 34.0.1847.137 m

Update failed (error: 3)An error occurred while checking for updates: Update check failed to start (error code 3: 0x80040154 -- system level).

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
Found a few things:

Run Google Update. It'll probably be in C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update. So open My Computer, C drive, Program Files (x86), Google, then the Update folder and run Google Update (as admin, so right click the .exe and choose "Run as Administrator").

Then there's this: www.howtogeek.com/186330/how-to-fix-and-adjust-automatic-updating-in-google-chrome/

But I think a uninstall and reinstall of Chrome would fix everything.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
It's a permissions error Bufty. Are you running as Admin?

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Appreciate the help, guys. Am I running as Admin? Not sure. Yikes. So far no more reminders.

Balthagor

New Fish; Testing the Waters
Registered
Reaction score
Often software updates are optional. My Chrome has been complaining about requiring an update for some time now, same with Windows. As a software developer, I can tell you that an update can sometimes break as much as it fixes.

Key question - is the browser still letting you do everything you need to?

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Sometimes software updates break things. I have three different Java apps at work, each of which breaks with a different version of Java. Fun.

But, as is sort of pointed out in this story at CNN, having up to date software can also be more secure.

The attack appears to have only affected people running Windows PCs using outdated browsers, including Internet Explorer 8 -- the most-used version of Microsoft's IE browser. Modern, updated browsers such as Internet Explorer 11, Google Chrome and Mozilla's latest version of Firefox were not susceptible to the malware.

As always, it's a balancing act.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Key answer? Yes, so I leave everything alone and offer thanks to everyone.

Often software updates are optional. My Chrome has been complaining about requiring an update for some time now, same with Windows. As a software developer, I can tell you that an update can sometimes break as much as it fixes.

Key question - is the browser still letting you do everything you need to?