Questions about writing programs

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
My computer runs great. It's only OpenOffice that is being slow.

Just downloaded LibreOffice and it's working perfectly, can load the doc and it runs so smoooooth!

Ah, somehow missed that salient point. But I had the same problem with OpenOffice. I suspect it's arguing with certain video drivers and is struggling to refresh the screen. LibreOffice incorportated Novell's fixes which made a big difference.

CuddlyClementine

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, somehow missed that salient point. But I had the same problem with OpenOffice. I suspect it's arguing with certain video drivers and is struggling to refresh the screen. LibreOffice incorportated Novell's fixes which made a big difference.

No worries! That could make sense though - I updated my drivers a few days ago (the whole screen was starting to flicker, I figured it was time :ROFL: )

When I opened LibreOffice at first I thought I'd somehow managed to fix open office... nope! It seems exactly the same so switching over seems like a possibility! (I'm not one for change - she says, moving countries in less than a month)

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
No worries! That could make sense though - I updated my drivers a few days ago (the whole screen was starting to flicker, I figured it was time :ROFL: )

That's not usually drivers, it's usually video memory starting to go. However, if OpenOffice was running its launcher thing all the time, it might have been interfering. That horizontal 'tearing' of the screen happens when it's overloaded and can't refresh the screen in a timely manner.

When I opened LibreOffice at first I thought I'd somehow managed to fix open office... nope! It seems exactly the same so switching over seems like a possibility!

It is the same, just slightly different under the hood -- lots of bugfixes, including performance fixes.

(I'm not one for change - she says, moving countries in less than a month)

You're lost :eek: :D

CuddlyClementine

Registered
Reaction score
All I know is I updated my drivers and the screen fixed, then Office went kaput!

Ah well, LibreOffice is amazing, seems like it's all sorted now.

You're lost :eek: :D

Not yet, I will be, though!!! :D

Taejang

Why not?
Registered
Reaction score
An open source program named StarOffice was acquired by Sun Microsystems back in 1999 for internal use. They later renamed it OpenOffice and released it to the public. Sun was purchased by Oracle in 2010, and most of the developers left.

Oracle sat on Open Office and in mid-2011, they laid off the remaining staff and ceased development altogether, then donated the whole thing to Apache, who combined it with IBM Lotus Symphony code (another story there) and renamed it Apache Open Office. The current crop of developers working on it are mostly ex-IBM employees.

This whole process shut down development for the better part of two years (between acquisitions, few developers, no developers, or new developers). I have nothing against the Apache/ex-IBM team now running it, but they are behind on basically everything as a result.

LibreOffice should be preferred over OpenOffice for virtually every situation, every computer, and every OS. At least until the Apache team has another year or so to try and catch up.

Last edited:

CuddlyClementine

Registered
Reaction score
This whole process shut down development for the better part of two years (between acquisitions, few developers, no developers, or new developers). I have nothing against the Apache/ex-IBM team now running it, but they are behind on basically everything as a result.

LibreOffice should be preferred over OpenOffice for virtually every situation, every computer, and every OS. At least until the Apache team has another year or so to try and catch up.

I had no idea about any of that. I used to use Word 03 as I have a disc that doesn't need a code, then switched over to OpenOffice once it became useless. I didn't even know LibreOffice existed until last night. I'm enjoying it so far, and I really don't want to have to pay out for a proper program, hoping LibreOffice will stall it for a while.