The 2014-2015 Sekrit Solstice Sci-Fi/Fantasy Story Swap

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Two years ago, I didn't start writing until about three weeks from the deadline, but then did 9300 words in twelve days.

Last year, from prompt to 6000-word first draft was ten days.

This year the story is coming out at crawling pace. I think my batteries are a bit flat.

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
I have a good first draft. Now to tighten and flourish. Which I'm procrastinating with my other project–hard. I like this story, I just have a tendency to obsess on my novels, even though pumping out a few dozen short stories would probably be amazing for my skills.

I know I can do it. But, Ah, the laziness of me.

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
After about three and a half restarts, I'm finally starting to make solid progress. I think it's more like a chapter of a novel than a short story, though, so I'm still worried about how to come up with something conclusion-shaped.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
This year the story is coming out at crawling pace. I think my batteries are a bit flat.

Don't think about the past Eye. That's probably not going to help. Just think about today. You'll do it.

I know I can do it. But, Ah, the laziness of me.

Perhaps it's just your brains way of working. Maybe you prefer endurance to sprinting.

Go! Go everyone. You can do it.:e2cheer:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Aaaaaaaaaaaa, 8000 words and it just keeps growing! I've either got to do a serious bit of pruning when I've actually finished, or hope my giftee likes novellas. What's the actual limit, again? I'll try my best to keep sensibly under that. Damn it, why do all my short stories try to mutate into novels?

tianaluthien

What I do is not up to you
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
:e2cheer:

Albedo said:
Aaaaaaaaaaaa, 8000 words and it just keeps growing! I've either got to do a serious bit of pruning when I've actually finished, or hope my giftee likes novellas. What's the actual limit, again? I'll try my best to keep sensibly under that. Damn it, why do all my short stories try to mutate into novels?

There is no limit. Which may or may not help you... :D As to the second part...I can't answer that. I've been there and I will undoubtedly be there again. I feel your pain. *passes over the cookie plate*

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
*comes in with peppermint fudge and pom-poms*

It's February 1st and what does that mean?
Our pens are scribbling,
Our shoulders are hunched,
Our hamsters are running, and
Our editor's eyes are squinting.
Yah for SSSFFSS plot bunnies!
So write! And write! And edit, edit, edit. Until you've got a happy grin and "The End," my friend.
Give me an S-S-S-F-F-S-S! Go, writers!

(I'm getting ready for the Superbowl, sorry...)

:TheWave:

P.S. And for anyone that is thinking "whoa, I have a lot of words, is that too long?" Well, my story ended up growing to 14K so um, er...short it is not.

*erupts into coughs, hides behind pom-poms, slinks off field*

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
*looks at story, then at deadline*

This will either go well or go very badly.May need to set a personal dealine of the 4th in order to get it done.

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
Wait! What?

I thought it was the middle of February. *Panics*

Oh, wait I have a frog for that.

over-enthusiastic-kermit.gif
Yes, the mid of Feb - apologies. Still better than the 1st :D
*looks at story, then at deadline*

This will either go well or go very badly.May need to set a personal dealine of the 4th in order to get it done.

I may also have to do something like this. I start work on the 9th and it's going to be pretty much all systems go.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We are now just under the two week mark and I wanted to check to see how everyone is doing. Do you all feel you're on track? Need some help? Need more time?

Just let me know.

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score

There is no limit on words. :D Some people last year wrote something like 15k. Don't worry too much about word count. As long as that's what the story needs. :)

As for me, I've tried two ideas already. Got about 1k into each of them before tying them to a rock and throwing them into the ocean. But idea #3 is flourishing. I'm at 2k so far and I really think this is the one! Working on it right now.

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
I might need more time. I either need to finish and send in a truncated version I can expand on later, or time to finish. OR just default to talking heads for the last few pages... I'm not sure.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What file formats are you accepting MrC?

Word, PDF, rtf, LBJ, CYA, WTF, papyrus, etc

If your giftee has an issue opening it, we can always reformat.

Didn't someone the year before last actually write a novel?

I think one or two were around the novella mark. And hey, if they were inspired to expand further, then all is wonderful in the world.

I might need more time. I either need to finish and send in a truncated version I can expand on later, or time to finish. OR just default to talking heads for the last few pages... I'm not sure.

The due date is carved in orange Jell-O, so if you guys want another week or two, that is absolutely doable. People can always submit early, but I'll hold off delivering the goodies until all stories are in.

Anyone else need an extension?

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
We are now just under the two week mark and I wanted to check to see how everyone is doing. Do you all feel you're on track? Need some help? Need more time?

Just let me know.

I may need more time. I'm having this little problem where I'll start as soon as I finish this other thing...which I haven't finished. *is all the cringe*

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Mine is almost done. Just need to work the emotional parts. *plays sad, touching music*

Btw, I'm dying to know who's gifting me...I hope they wrote an epic. *hint* *hint*

tianaluthien

What I do is not up to you
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Word, PDF, rtf, LBJ, CYA, WTF, papyrus, etc

If your giftee has an issue opening it, we can always reformat.

re: WTF :ROFL:

Re: Word .doc or .docx ? I'll probably stick with PDF, but just in case: I can open both, but my automatic save is .docx

Layla Lawlor

Registered
Reaction score
*sob* Mine wandered off into territory that is nothing whatsoever like the request AND showed no signs of having an actual ending. Back to the drawing board!

J. A. Rama

Master Plot Hydra Conqueror
Registered
Reaction score
Website
phractalreality.blogspot.com
After two restarts I'm still chugging away at assembling my third try, which resembles The Monster Book of Monsters, into something that doesn't bite when opened. More time would be nice if we get it. I could definitely use it to do extra cleanup, or actually leave enough time to get it beta'd. :-D

*flail*

Last edited:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I've picked a helluva time to start a new job.

I promise I'm going to try and marathon-finish this on the weekend. Still, a bit of extra time might be some breathing room and allow it to be critted if our dear betas aren't already snowed under.