So what's for dinner?

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Beef stew with French bread. It's very tasty, despite the fact I didn't make it to the store for turnip to put in. However, I make stew like I make soup - copious quantities which we will be eating for days.

auzerais

I like puppies.
Registered
Reaction score
My wife is cooking, which is unusual...I'm the family chef. The noises coming from the kitchen are hilarious. "OHMYGOD. I ALMOST LOST THEM." I think we're having melodrama for dinner.

harmonyisarine

Registered
Reaction score
Some pretty amazing chicken soup, especially considering it was made with store-stock (Better Than Bullion, at least), frozen pre-cooked chicken and veggies softened in the microwave, and all combined only 30 minutes before eating.

I am looking forward to the end of February. I'll be in the house alone for a week and a half, and I'm going to make all of the wonderful fish and veggie-based meals that I used to cook when I lived on my own, that the parents aren't huge fans of.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Tonight, we're having Reubens with homemade Russian dressing from last night's most wonderful tender, melt-in-your-mouth corned beef brisket. I've never had boiled brisket that I know of, and using the slow-cooker wasn't cutting it (heh) for me. Braised is absolutely the way to go for us from now on. :)

Last edited:

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Made the italian meatloaf and it was pretty good. Recipe I pulled Facebook as follows. The usual disclaimer that I only loosely follow recipes applies.

Italian Meatloaf
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 lb. ground mild Italian sausage
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 C. chopped bell pepper (I used orange, it was all I had in the freezer)
1 tsp. olive oil
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp. parsley
1 egg, beaten
3/4 C. Italian bread crumbs
2 slices white bread, crumbled
1 T. milk
8 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese, reserve 3/4 C. for topping
1/4 C. parmesan cheese
1 C. marinara sauce, plus 1/2 -3/4 C. more for topping
In a small skillet, heat the olive oil over med. high heat and sauté the onion and bell pepper for 3-4 minutes, remove from heat. In a large bowl, add the meats, onion and peppers along with all remaining ingredients reserving 3/4 C. mozzarella cheese for topping. Now, dive in there with the best tools God gave you, your hands and combine everything really good. Once it has all come together, place and mold the mixture in a baking dish of your choice. I used my oval Portuguese stoneware for ours. Spoon 1/2 to 3/4 C. of the marinara sauce on top and spread around. Place in a 400 degree oven for 50 minutes. Remove from the oven and top with the remaining cheese and sprinkle a little dry basil over the top. Return to the oven for 10 more minutes. Make sure the meat is not pink before serving, baking time will vary depending on the thickness of your loaf. Mine was about 2" thick
Courtesy of Janet at Janet's Appalachian Kitchen

Neegh

Banned
Reaction score
I'm just about to pull the leg of lamb out of the oven to rest, before carving it up.

Mmmm...

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Essentially a snack tonight, as both me and the wife had eaten late lunches. But:

Five or six small potatoes, from my last year's garden, still in excellent condition, stored in the garage in a pot under a black garbage bag (and there are more). Chopped into bite-sized pieces, tossed with a little sesame oil, ground pepper and ground garlic/herb mix, spread on a cookie sheet, baked for ~20 minutes in the oven at 400 degrees. Very simple, and excellent for a side dish for almost any kind of meal.

You can't have none of my garden potatoes, but if you buy potatoes from the store, don't use the big brown russets, which are great for baked potatoes, but a bit flaky for this kind of cooking. Get the smaller red or white ones. You can also add onions or some other veggies to this kind of dish.

caw

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
That's my favourite way to do potatoes Blackbird. I use various seasonings - sometimes garlic, lemon (both rind and juice) and rosemary, sometimes a commercial seasoning for chicken or Montreal steak spice. However, I always make sure to use my glass baking dish though and to add a blob of butter along with the oil. The butter and the glass make the potatoes golden and very crispy.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Food at this point. That's all I know. I need something quick and easy.
Same here!

I might throw a box of pasta into a pot of boiling water, then when it's cooked, toss it with extra virgin olive oil, garlic, and basil. Simple and good. I might even add a box of defrosted (and microwaved) peas.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
However, I always make sure to use my glass baking dish though and to add a blob of butter along with the oil. The butter and the glass make the potatoes golden and very crispy.

I have a non-stick roasting pan (Calphalon, I think) that I like to use for roasting potatoes & veggies & things -- it has miraculous powers of caramelization & turns things delightfully brown & crispy even with minimal fat in the pan.

Last week I baked a load of butternut squash in the magic roasting pan along with a duck leg. The squash went into the pan ias plain dry chunks, dusted with some herbs & maple pepper. 45 min. later, it was a pan of beautiful brown-bottomed squash candy! (And the duck was pretty good too. The fat had all rendered out and spread a thin slick across the pan but mostly was NOT absorbed by the squash, just added a bit of flavor and crisp.)

Last edited:

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
I'm getting hungry. :)

Right now, I have a big pot of taco meat simmering on the stove. There's a bunch of corn tortillas in the fridge right now, ready to fry up. Tomatoes are diced, lettuce is chopped fine, and the block of sharp cheddar's been shredded. Oh, and I whipped up a batch of homemade guacamole.

I can hardly wait.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Something with chicken. If I can gather up the ambition, maybe fajitas.

MM

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
I'm getting hungry. :)

Right now, I have a big pot of taco meat simmering on the stove. There's a bunch of corn tortillas in the fridge right now, ready to fry up. Tomatoes are diced, lettuce is chopped fine, and the block of sharp cheddar's been shredded. Oh, and I whipped up a batch of homemade guacamole.

I can hardly wait.

You just made my mouth water! :tongue

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
High Tea!

Cucumber sandwiches, curried egg salad sandwiches, Sugar Plum Spice Cake, strawberries stuffed with cream, cookies, "slices", scones, tea at a friend's house.

Then we had Chinese take-out for dinner. Lots of fun!

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
High Tea!

Cucumber sandwiches, curried egg salad sandwiches, Sugar Plum Spice Cake, strawberries stuffed with cream, cookies, "slices", scones, tea at a friend's house.

Then we had Chinese take-out for dinner. Lots of fun!

Years ago, I stayed at a hotel that had high tea. Wonderful!

Tonight--a friend's house for a Super Bowl party.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Making a roast beef, though the husband won't have much due to a Super Bowl party later tonight (the rest will be lunch for the week for him).

M.S. Wiggins

"The Moving Finger writes..."
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tofu. I eat it all the time (when someone else cooks it), but tonight I've decided to try cooking it myself. Right now it's marinating in a teriyaki(ish) sauce. I'm either: grilling it; searing it; stir frying it; or throwing it away.