Unconventional Actor Crushes

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
Jimmy Smitts in The Tommyknockers. The poet thing played a part, definitely, but it was a great book and movie.

There are loud drunkards outside our apartment at this time. They need to tone it down a bit, but at least they sound happy. Now they can be happy somewhere else.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
A lot of the old time actresses. Some that maybe wouldn't be considered conventionally sexy like Barbara Stanwyck (to be honest, that's more like true love).

See my avatar, which is a studio portrait from the 1930s, when she was in her twenties - born in 1907.

As for me, Sissy Spacek and Isabelle Huppert, for over thirty years each.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
She really was something else. Obviously, it was about a lot more than just looks, That tough Brooklyn thing, partly. But what was that other movie she did with Gary Cooper, not John Doe, gotta google... Ball of Fire, she was absolutely, excuse me fellas, adorable in that!

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Definitely had a thing for Jeff Goldblum for a while. And the guy in The Wire who played Cedric Daniels, Lance Reddick. Haven't seen him in much else as I recall and he kinda looks like a personified praying mantis, but every time he was on screen, I couldn't look away. He's beautiful and Daniels' pissed off face and stride was epic.

K.L. Bennett

A floopy flolloper
Registered
Reaction score
I had a friend in high school who was *in love* with Jeff Goldblum. She had pictures of him on her bookshelves, along with pictures of David Bowie and someone else I can't remember (Alan Rickman, maybe). She even made me watch the absolutely atrocious movie "The Man Who Fell to Earth" just because Bowie was in it. I'm scarred for life now.

I thought of another one of mine last night: Jason Segel. He's like the tallest, sexiest teddy bear there ever was.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Steve Buscemi. For years and years. I love that guy.

Maryn, sure he loves her right back

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
First of all, there's April Hong. This is an unconventional choice because I've never actually seen her performing on TV or in a movie! I only know who she is because I saw her in a video interview alongside her father, legendary character actor James Hong. From the interview I learned that April has a small resume of TV guest appearances, and is an instructor at her dad's acting workshop. If I ever meet her I'll say, "I love you, April...for reals, I'm not acting!"

Also, Amy Adams and Becki Newton. I think Amy is a great actress and I think Becki always stands out above the crowd in her many TV sitcom gigs. This time the unconventional thing is that I prefer very dark hair -- black or very dark brown. So it's unusual that a redhead or blonde would catch my eye and make me swoon, or whatever it's called.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... greer garson too. sorta have a thing for intelligent women. plus she's pretty too in her own way.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely had a thing for Jeff Goldblum for a while. And the guy in The Wire who played Cedric Daniels, Lance Reddick. Haven't seen him in much else as I recall and he kinda looks like a personified praying mantis, but every time he was on screen, I couldn't look away. He's beautiful and Daniels' pissed off face and stride was epic.

I can understand both of them. It's been awhile since I've seen The Wire, though...I definitely remember him. He never really smiled, did he? He was...the guy in charge at some point?

I thought of another one of mine last night: Jason Segel. He's like the tallest, sexiest teddy bear there ever was.

I don't find him sexy, but I definitely agree that he is a tall, warm, cozy teddy bear. :)

A lot of the old time actresses. Some that maybe wouldn't be considered conventionally sexy like Barbara Stanwyck (to be honest, that's more like true love). Mia Farrow, probably considered beautiful, but not obviously a sexpot, I don't think. Carolyn Jones, I once met her much younger husband in a bar and I and the buddy I was with had a drink with him. When he told me whom he was married to, I asked him if she slept in a casket. I hadn't heard that she had passed years earlier. I was relieved to find that he was a good-natured guy. Ouch.

I love this. That you crush on actresses from longer ago. :) I can't believe you said that to Jones' husband! Ouch is right. I'm thankful - for your sake - that the guy took it in stride. Talk about foot in mouth!

I thought of another one, though the crush isn't nearly as strong as my crush on Goggins.

James Spader. It wasn't until Blacklist and his character in that show - the hat, his devotion to his daughter and loyalty to those who deserve it.

I like those bad boys...

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Senta Berger, the European Raquel Welsh, only better. She's still stunning at 74, and hardly anyone knows about her vast film history. Only one way to describe her...insufferably adorable.

tri

Well, I don't know if I'd call that unconventional unless you're talking about crushing on her now at her current age. I Googled her, and she was...you're right. Insufferably adorable, cute, and beautiful. She still is today...just older. :)

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I love this. That you crush on actresses from longer ago. :) I can't believe you said that to Jones' husband! Ouch is right. I'm thankful - for your sake - that the guy took it in stride. Talk about foot in mouth!

I like those bad boys...

Yeah, I can't even claim drunkenness as an excuse; we'd just gotten there. That's exactly what he said to me, "You put your foot in your mouth now."

Barbara Feldon from Get Smart. Paula Prentiss from the old beach movies. Molly Ringwald. The girl who works the evening shift at my market; don't know if she's an actress, but it wouldn't surprise me. I'm sure studies have been done, but I wonder just what sensory triggers are in play here. For me it's there or it's not there, and there's really no predicting it; is that how it is for everyone? Some of the most beautiful women, by most guys' standards' leave me cold. And some who most might call plain, I find incredibly attractive. There could almost be a spin off thread, Sex Symbols that Don't do it for you.. My entries might be women like, ready, believe it or not, Marilyn Monroe, Elizabeth Taylor, Gina Lolobrigita (though I love Sophia Loren). Who else? Angelina Jolie, (late night, mind going slowwwwly today.. I tend to go for the ones who aren't so obvious. Ava Gardner for instance, in my estimation was not nearly as sexy as Ida Lupino.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure studies have been done, but I wonder just what sensory triggers are in play here. For me it's there or it's not there, and there's really no predicting it; is that how it is for everyone?

I think it depends on the person.

I'm not even sure it's the same all the time for each person. I'm looking back on my IRL crushes...and they were across the board in high school. There was one guy who wasn't physically attractive at all, but man could he make me laugh! He was goofy and funny and at times obnoxious, yet I had a mild crush on him.

There was one guy - an actor who shall remain nameless - who also wasn't what you'd think "hot" at ALL. Short, round face, cute maybe but looking about 12 when we graduated. Yet he had major talent (singing and acting) and was majorly smart, and all that turned me on.

There were also guys that were conventionally attractive, but even in real life, those aren't ALWAYS the ones that smack me upside the head.

My ex-husband had nice dimples when he smiled and pretty eyes, but he carried a good 25 pounds more than he should have (at least by the time we divorced). His dimples and outgoing-ness got me (too bad I realized too late exactly how outgoing he was...if you get my drift).

My current husband, when we met, was just plan tall and gorgeous. He's put on some weight now, but he's working to lose it. But what really got me was his love for his daughter, his loyalty to his family and close friends, and his dedication to providing and protecting us.

So sorry for the long ramble, but you got me thinking. :) And I think best out loud. On a writing forum, out loud = typing on the screen.

I don't think I really answered your question. :Shrug:

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it's a simple question to answer. Yeah, some conventionally gorgeous women grab me as well, but there's usually something else going on; like brains, soul, vulnerability (I tend to like the wounded types, want to save them of course).

I do get your drift. Gregarious, wasn't he?

A couple others, Amy Winehouse and Sarah Silverman.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it's a simple question to answer. Yeah, some conventionally gorgeous women grab me as well, but there's usually something else going on; like brains, soul, vulnerability (I tend to like the wounded types, want to save them of course).

I do get your drift. Gregarious, wasn't he?

A couple others, Amy Winehouse and Sarah Silverman.

Agreed.

Gregarious. That is too kind a word, my friend. LOL

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I'm not sure how unconventional they are:

Clark Gregg -- deadpan sexy
Simon Pegg -- nerd sexy
Jon Stewart -- just plain sexy

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard other women say, Jon Stewart. Also Steve Buscemi and Jeff Goldblum who were also mentioned. A lot of men might hear these picks and say, "Whaaat?!" I wonder if women say the same thing when they hear Ida Lupino and Barbara Stanwyck? Maybe not, since, and I'm sure I'm going to get in trouble here, but women seem to often be less shallow when it comes to these things.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I guess the definition of "unconventional" is really up for debate, different for everyone. But I think yours count.

I think of conventional as...the typical Hollywood "Hotties" - Scarlet Johansson, George Cloony, Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie...all the actors/actresses that nearly get paid to be beautiful.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm sure there is some subjectivity in what's conventional and what's not. And yet, I think many of us would agree on an awful lot of them.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, Dino was too cool. I'm straight, and I got a thing for him!