Space Marine and Dragonwrangler Bar & Grill

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Good evening Cantina! I had a wonderful day off. The weather was fantastic and shopping as equally great. I actually bought things that weren't a necessity and didn't feel guilty spending the money! :hooray:

Before I go on to my mult-quote, hugs for all those who need them. :Hug2:

The difference here, I think, is that I've never been in love, or in a long term relationship. So I honestly don't know what my emotional reaction would be like - I'm just going on how I would respond logically.

This is why I feel silly talking to my friend sometimes about her bf troubles - all the advice I give is going to be logical and straightforward. It's got "but you don't understand" written all over it, because I just don't, through lack of experience.
I'm in the same boat. I haven't had anything resembling a bf since high school. Thankfully, all my friends are single, so there's never asking of advice. But girls at work will occasionally ask me, and I have to decline on grounds of inexperience.

And if Mr. K passes I'm marrying rich. Already married for love so I can afford to marry for money. ;)
:ROFL:

Kricket wants a
sugar-daddy.gif

Anyway, long due but here there are my Machu-Picchu pictures!
Awesome picture Max! I can actually see them this time. I thought Machu-Picchu was closed off to visitors now.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
And I am ready to reply in white text:

My doctor is pretty good about it, it's just that at the most I can probably hope for slightly below-average health and longevity if I'm really, really dilligent about like getting enough calcium, weightbearing exercise and vit D and avoiding heart-unhealthy foods and cutting down on stress and shizz. Which is depressing, feeling like I have to be so vigilant for comparatively little reward and all. Which as you said, makes forgiving and moving on and whatnot really freakin' hard.

I made homemade pepperoni rolls. They're really delicious! Anybody want one?

Oh mah gods. I do!

I"m late to this conversation, but, oh well. I've done knitting and crochet, Embroidery I can do for about three days before I'm ready to find my rifles and a nice tall clock tower. Lacemaking is my thing.

I also do beading on fabric, which is more finicky than embroidery but also very fun.

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm... I think I need a new name for the group my MC is in. Might just be me but "Crown's Riders" sounds too... ordinary.

Also should probably come up with a name for the evil cult at some point too.

Naming things is difficult. :(

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, random question:

Would the idea of an ex-government agent becoming a freelance spy be absolutely ridiculous?

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, random question:

Would the idea of an ex-government agent becoming a freelance spy be absolutely ridiculous?
Of course not. I'm pretty sure that kind of thing's happened before. It'd probably be difficult for a person to do, but I imagine it can be done.

unruley700

save us from sleep and what we are
Registered
Reaction score
You guys are making me want a boyfriend with all this talk. Or at least a hypothetical boyfriend. I'm not too sure I'd be capable of handling the actual thing.

Remember 2 years ago when I briefly mentioned getting a drunken love letter (read: email) from a guy who was a bit weird anyways? He was dating a woman who was battling nasty lung cancer (she was still able to work at times, but kept relapsing). He mentioned something about loving her but needing to move on once she died, and she was okay with him looking now. It was too crazy to read the whole email.

People do strange things.

PSA: Unruley700 29/m/s - Likes samiches and cleaning things with bleach. Does own laundry. Enjoys writing all the things. Very little emotional and actual baggage. Willing to relocate.

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
Like Michael Westen in Burn Notice?

Go for it.
That's what I was thinking of! I knew I'd seen a show where this happened but I couldn't think of the name.

That show was awesome, I really should catch up with past episodes and start watching again.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Hmm... I think I need a new name for the group my MC is in. Might just be me but "Crown's Riders" sounds too... ordinary.

Also should probably come up with a name for the evil cult at some point too.

Naming things is difficult. :(

Anything distintive about them? Like uniforms, colors, habit, etc.?

Awesome picture Max! I can actually see them this time. I thought Machu-Picchu was closed off to visitors now.

Depends on the season. It's closed off during the rainy season because the paths become slippery.

Probably true. Just lucky that this time it diverted me to Sky Pirates it also did it in such a way that I can finally move past the "how do the ships fly?" question.

Though it's also given me a new idea that I'm trying to integrate into what remained from the last time I tried to do a Sky Pirate story.

Do you prefer regular land only with airships or all airship-based nations like Last Exile or the Jasper Morello movie?

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
PSA: Unruley700 29/m/s - Likes samiches and cleaning things with bleach. Does own laundry. Enjoys writing all the things. Very little emotional and actual baggage. Willing to relocate.

I see potential here for a lasting relationship :D wanna move into my unfinished basement?

unruley700

save us from sleep and what we are
Registered
Reaction score
I see potential here for a lasting relationship :D wanna move into my unfinished basement?

Hahaha. Sometimes I think you don't know me at all. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
Anything distintive about them? Like uniforms, colors, habit, etc.?
I'd never really put too much thought into it (just hoped that when I started writing it would come to me) but I'll tell you what I've come up with for them so far:

Their primary purpose within the military is not so much for outright attacks but for stealth-based assaults and guerilla-style warfare. For this reason while the rest of the military have advanced on to using firearms and military-grade vehicles this group still use swords and bows and arrows, with some people going so far as to use crossbows, and they primarily use horses for travel. Basically anything that makes them quiet. Enemies would hear a truck loaded with soldiers coming but a few people on horseback? Less likely to be heard.

In terms of uniforms it's pretty basic stuff. Nothing too complicated. Simple leather armour, bracers, some of them choose to wear helmets too. Over the armour they wear sleeveless longcoats in order to discern their rank and status at a glance. New recruits wear plain grey with no decoration of any kind, more advanced members move on to green, then up to blue. They earn the Red when they get Named.

See, every one of them who gets to a certain point gets their Name. It's like a nickname for them. So, for example, Captain Vitoria Cain's Name is "the Saber", in an example of a more serious one. Most of them are serious, but some of them have more joking, ironic ones. Like Master Borraki, one of the most badass remorseless killers they have, is "the Angel."

Anyway once you become a Captain you get the Black overcoat. The leader of the group wears really elaborately-decorated White.

That's pretty much what I've got. Like I said, I've not put as much thought into the specifics of the group as I should have done before I started writing.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
The Crimsom Riders? (Or scarlett or burgundy or whatever shade of red do you like? Or perhaps an animal? The Royal Foxes? You know, after all they sneakily "gallop" in the woods? Or what about, The Midnight Riders?

Don't worry for not settling this stuff during the first draft. :) Lots of things comes and goes while re-writing and editing... I didn't even have a satisfying for the WIP I have been plotting for over a year until last week.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
Crown's Riders would work as a formal name; perhaps they could be informally called the "Longcoats" for their distinctive dress.

(Also, Google Images, y u no do a better job at filtering inappropriate fanart? :S

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Like Michael Westen in Burn Notice?

Go for it.

That's what I was thinking of! I knew I'd seen a show where this happened but I couldn't think of the name.

That show was awesome, I really should catch up with past episodes and start watching again.
:e2smack:

I completely forgot about that show, and I've even seen it a few times. The slightly campy style is exactly what I'm seeing with this new story idea that's been nagging me since yesterday.

Thanks so much for the advice!

Depends on the season. It's closed off during the rainy season because the paths become slippery.

Hmm. I swore I heard they were closing it off to tourists for good because they didn't want the constant foot traffic to wear away the stones. :Shrug:

ION: There are fireworks going off right now for the nearby Fall Festival. *goes to watch outside the window*

Goodnight :)

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
Alright. I lack the energy for a proper multiquote so I shall just use "on [insert subject here]:" and bolded user/names. And I'm potentially going to split it up so's my posts aren't LONGER THAN JORMUNGANDR THE WORLD SERPENT OOOOH NOES!

we're all happy to make sure you exceed the daily recommended limits of :Hug2:s. :3

D'AWWWWWWWWW. :Hug2:s to you and everyone who said things like this!

Except you, Stanley. Stern frowns and finger wags to you. Drop and gimme 20, then go clean the latrines. You know what for :D

On remarriage after being widowed: As much as I want my wife to be happy (and continue to have a sex life) after I die, if I were only taking myself into account I'd like her to pine for me forever. I hate selfishness and strive to eschew it at every turn, so in practice I'd probably be like, "Sure. Your time is limited, as the fact that I'm currently dying clearly proves, so get a head start now, love." Having a second wife is one thing- being as close to the second wife as she was to me, that would be the sour lump to swallow.

Not that I currently have a wife, and like I said, I doubt in my lifetime I will ever meet a woman who loves me enough to put up with me working paramedic hours for paramedic wages. I mean for starters, if I want to spend time with her at all she'd have to be a housewife, because 9-5 shifts and paramedic hours just don't overlap. We wouldn't even get to sleep in the same bed at the same time half the time.

On names: I never went by my legal first name (Sara) at any point in my life. I am so used to hearing and thinking of my second name (Jade) as my first that when people in like government agencies just go by the first thing they see on my birth certificate, I don't always realize it's me. I have three given legal names, so dropping my first name still leaves me with a middle name. I'm very proud of my middle name because it belonged to the only one of my grandparents' ten children who isn't alive today. Marilyn died in infancy of SIDS and my dad never forgot it. He waited two decades to have a daughter so he could pass that name on.

Now that I've said all that I may as well tell y'all my surname. I'm Jade M. Gardner, yo. Please to be refraining from using this knowledge to strangle me in my sleep? :D Pffft. Not like you couldn't find me in Nova Scotia without my name anyway.

I'm pretty sure I've ruined my real name for publishing use because I posted writing online under it (before I knew how important first publication rights are), and most of those works suck so much they'd turn off any potential new readers. Will have to pick a penname instead of being like, "*SPARKLE SOUND EFFECT* THE NEW AND IMPROOOOVED Jade Gardner! With 15 PERCENT MORE PEANUT BUTTER!" I would love to use my real name though, as I'm 1) not a very private person by any stretch and 2) very proud of my family ties despite having pretty much no family support. Lol.

And on names in spiritual practice, I am some sort of eclectic-ish Pagan... thing. I have what is called an Other Name, and that is kept tightly under wraps. Used pretty much only for healing done in the Other World, which is the core of my practice. It mostly is to mark me in some personal way as a devotee of my patron goddess.

It's weird as hell thinking of you as Jose, Max. I am so used to thinking of you as Max. I'd love to know the etymology behind the term maxmordón though. I know it's totally not, but I keep imagining that it's related to the French merde and therefore something like max(as in maximal, maximum, all that Latin-derived crap) merde- Grand Shit. Sounds like the kind of name people would call some chubby, balding, megalomaniacal dictator in a military uniform behind his back: "Shoot me in the face, the Grand Shit is on TV again."

Last edited:

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score

D'oh. Well now I feel silly, I should have figured that one out.

It's a deep freeze! Er... That's what everyone I know calls 'em. When I hear chest freezer I picture like, some kind of tiny precision freeze ray used for cardiac surgery. "Quick, he's bleeding out, hand me the chest freezer!!"

... Wait, that still works with a deep freeze, and is rather more sinister that way. :D

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
It's weird as hell thinking of you as Jose, Max. I am so used to thinking of you as Max. I'd love to know the etymology behind the term maxmordón though. I know it's totally not, but I keep imagining that it's related to the French merde and therefore something like max(as in maximal, maximum, all that Latin-derived crap) merde- Grand Shit. Sounds like the kind of name people would call some chubby, balding, megalomaniacal dictator in a military uniform behind his back: "Shoot me in the face, the Grand Shit is on TV again."

Merde is related to Spanish "Mierda" and yes, we say "La gran mierda" to say "the big shit", generally in that sense (a person who believes himself more than what he is) "Don't you start thinking you're the Big Shit around here, asshole!"

Nonetheless, the Royal Academy of the Spanish Language dictates it's one of dubious origin and I don't think it comes from "Shit". No idea where it comes.

So far, the only place I know the word "maxmordón" has been used is on a XIVth Century Castilian compendium: The Book of Good Love

Likewise, it's weird to think on you as Jade. :) I think I will use "Gardner", would you mind? Though it happens to be the surname of my MC on my WIP (Though I'm considering change his name from Gary Gardner to Walton Walden)

Also, and this is weird, would you believe you're the second AWer I have befriended whose's given name is Sara and is a Lesbian? Well, it's actually Sarah, but it's still quite an odd coincidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.