Wire Router Issue or Something Else?

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com
I'm a bit frustrated, so I am going to try to explain this best I can. There may be multiple issues here, so maybe that is why we're having a hard time finding a solution.

Background: We have always had internet troubles in my house. Any device wirelessly connected has abysmal speeds. I have cable, so you'd think we'd have decent speeds. (I get about 1 Mbps for speeds on my PC on the wireless network.) The connection often drops: we'll lose the signal on whatever is connection to our wireless network (wired devices are fine). Then it will reconnect. Then it will disconnect again. Sometimes hours would go by. Other times it would happen every few minutes. Usually my connection would show poor or fair.

Our cable modem and router are in the same room. Unfortunately, when it was original set up, it's all at one side of the house, not a central location. So our wireless devices, which we use at the other side of the house, struggle to connect. (That said, our most recent issue has wireless devices dropping right near the router, so I don't know what to make of that.)

We decided we couldn't take it anymore and replaced our router last spring. That seemed to help. My connection would normally show Good and we stayed connected for more the most part.

Then, about a week ago, we started having problems again with the wireless dropping off and reconnecting. My brother reset the router and played with some of the settings - changing channels, etc. - and we noticed an initial big bump in speed. He also started playing with them to see if he could connect my ipad, which I had received for Christmas, but was having massive wifi issue. My connection went to excellent. However, it would only last an hour or so before the internet would bottom out again.

Today, I'm losing connection multiple times an hour. In fact, it's almost impossible to type up this post. My brother is losing connection in the middle of gaming.

I just don't know what to do anymore. We should have good speeds and a reliable connection. Obviously, something is wrong, but we're having a hell of time troubleshooting it. So hard to work from home when your internet drops so much.

ETA: I notice the title is wrong. It should say Wireless, not Wire. That would be because my internet hiccuped as I was typing it.

Last edited:

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
1) make sure you are not getting interference from another piece of equipment in the house or nearby. Stuff like alarm systems or electronic power counters (the counter hooked to the hydro) can sometimes wreak havoc on connections. Landline cordless phones often share the same range of frequencies with wi-fi. A nearby busy airport can also be a cause for concern.

2) Distance from the router should be minimized. Check into buying a range extended if this is the case. Make the range extender use the better 5G frequency range (see # 3).

3) Change the router band from 2.4GHz to 5GHz and make the 5G one the main access point. More and more, modern routers are sold as dual bands with the 5G connection the better. Open up the 5G mode and make sure your phones and tablettes and computers use THAT instead of the 2.4G access point.

4) Make sure your router access passwords are less than 64 characters. Some routers and associated equipment accept 64-char strings although the specs specify 63. It may sound odd, but there was an issue with Win8.x where network access was governed internally by multiple pieces of code, some enforcing the 63-char limit, others not.

5) Some router models are sensitive to AC power fluctuations. If you have frequent brownouts, you may want to check on a standby battery power unit.

Hope this helps.

-cb

Last edited:

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com
1) make sure you are not getting interference from another piece of equipment in the house or nearby. Stuff like alarm systems or electronic power counters (the counter hooked to the hydro) can sometimes wreak havoc on connections. Landline cordless phones often share the same range of frequencies with wi-fi. A nearby busy airport can also be a cause for concern.

2) Distance from the router should be minimized. Check into buying a range extended if this is the case. Make the range extender use the better 5G frequency range (see # 3).

3) Change the router band from 2.4GHz to 5GHz and make the 5G one the main access point. More and more, modern routers are sold as dual bands with the 5G connection the better. Open up the 5G mode and make sure your phones and tablettes and computers use THAT instead of the 2.4G access point.

4) Make sure your router access passwords are less than 64 characters. Some routers and associated equipment accept 64-char strings although the specs specify 63. It may sound odd, but there was an issue with Win8.x where network access was governed internally by multiple pieces of code, some enforcing the 63-char limit, others not.

5) Some router models are sensitive to AC power fluctuations. If you have frequent brownouts, you may want to check on a standby battery power unit.

Hope this helps.

-cb

1. This is something I've been concerned about. Our router and modem are in a room next to the kitchen, and it's possible we're getting interference from the kitchen. Haven't figured out how to minimize it.

2. I've been looking into range extenders as a possibility. I think that is likely our best bet if we don't have to replace the router.

3. We do have a dual router, so we do have a 5GHz. It doesn't seem to show up on our list of wireless connections. I'll have to see if there's something we need to change to make it show up. I hope it's not a matter of our computers, etc, unable to connect to 5GHz.

4 and 5 aren't issues.

Thanks for your feedback. I'll see what I can do. :)

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
You're using cable for your ISP.

How many houses are near you using the same cable provider?

In terms of the WiFI, is the cable router and the WiFi router the same device?

Any close neighbor likely to have a baby and thus a baby monitor?

Are you using microwave devices, short distance radio transmitters (CB or similar?)

How far is the cable connection box from you?

Have you tried cycling the power to the cable modem? (This has the virtue of flushing the error buffer, among other things).

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com
You're using cable for your ISP.

How many houses are near you using the same cable provider?

In terms of the WiFI, is the cable router and the WiFi router the same device?

Any close neighbor likely to have a baby and thus a baby monitor?

Are you using microwave devices, short distance radio transmitters (CB or similar?)

How far is the cable connection box from you?

Have you tried cycling the power to the cable modem? (This has the virtue of flushing the error buffer, among other things).

1. I don't know who for sure is using the same cable, but at least half should be the same. My city only has one cable service provider. Both of my neighbors use it for a fact. Across the street is actually another state - yeah I know, crazy - so they would have another cable provider.

2. The cable and the WiFi router are separate devices.

3. A couple across the street do have a baby.

4. No.

5. Opposite sides of the house. It's a problem.

6. Yes, we've cycled the cable modem.

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
We had a heat problem (too much heat in the "server closet."). Attached a small fan blowing all the time. Solved that particular problem. Problem quit, so we assumed it was heat buildup.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(I'm following this closely. The whole neighborhood's on the same cable service, with a dozen or so connections detected at any given moment. Both wired and wireless connections slow to a standstill many times an hour, even in the middle of the night when traffic should be low. Router must be located in the basement to serve the wired connections. We see improvement with a reset, but it never lasts.)

Maryn, not intending to derail, but keen on answers

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com
(I'm following this closely. The whole neighborhood's on the same cable service, with a dozen or so connections detected at any given moment. Both wired and wireless connections slow to a standstill many times an hour, even in the middle of the night when traffic should be low. Router must be located in the basement to serve the wired connections. We see improvement with a reset, but it never lasts.)

Maryn, not intending to derail, but keen on answers

Go right ahead! I figure other people are having issues similar, so the more people that can get help, the better :)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
We replace our router every year or two: our power system is a bit peculiar (we live off-grid) which is probably what's causing our problems but we know when the router is going to have to be replaced because we start having to reboot it frequently to get a connection.

Our house is quite big, with heavy stone walls: we couldn't get wireless to most of the house at first, so we bought a set of Devolo range extenders and they're brilliant. They work very well and are easy to set up. They're relatively cheap online, and are well worth trying.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Although 5GHz is a stronger signal, it can be worse at penetrating walls and other solid objects, so if you're having trouble on the other side of the house and there are several walls in the way, switching to broadcast at 2.5GHz only may actually help. Worth a try at least.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't dismiss out of hand the possibility that your issue may be with your cable. I had a problem very similar to yours (we just moved into a new house last year).

After eliminating everything else, I phoned Shaw and talked to them about the situation. They did diags on their end and determined that my cable signal was weak and was dropping out. They sent a tech who spent all afternoon on the issue. He ended up completely replacing the cable junction box (where it comes into our house). Since then, not only has our wireless been bulletproof, but our Gateway system has stopped dropping out.

You may have some difficulty getting them to take you seriously and send someone to your house, but it's worth the effort to do so. Even if there are multiple issues, this may be part of the problem.

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com
Thanks for the replies. I've been buried with work, so I am only looking at the rest now.

I'll double check with the cable company, though our wired hookup is fantastic.

I'm currently thinking about updating to a newer, more powerful router. We've tried all the usual system settings and power cycling, etc. and it's just getting worse. My computer drops and now all my devices are dropping, not just my ipad.

Anyone have any suggestions for a really powerful router with good coverage?

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
> our wired hookup is fantastic.

If only the wireless part is wonky, then extenders might be the only way to go short of running Ethernet wires through the ceiling. Extenders come in either wireless or AC power-based flavours.

An alternative would be to ask the cable company to move the modem/router to another location and closer to your wi-fi equipment. This involves running a coax outside the house and making a small hole inside a window frame to get the coax back inside. The cable guy can do this at a minimal cost.

> Anyone have any suggestions for a really powerful router with good coverage?

Alas. Routers have to follow FCC rules and thus their output wattage is limited. Besides, a wi-fi router with an extremely long range is an open invitation for pirates.

-cb

Last edited:

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Are you seeing any other electrical issues on any other appliance or device? I'm wondering about a ground issue.

Have you talked to any neighbors to see if they're seeing similar issues? That would be semi-helpful toward figuring out if it's an ISP issue or not.

Do you have a friend with a router and/or modem you could borrow, to eliminate that issue? That way you're not spending money on a new device that you might not need to spend.

Google your router to see if there are any known issues, too. Might do the same with the modem, just for kicks.