Pop-up ad when I click on AW threads?

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Do you have an account with a photo hosting website such as Photobucket or Flickr?
Interesting question. Every time I go to Photobucket I get a popup that wants me to click here to fix my vista problems. I simply ignore it. But maybe it's one of them damn communist spamination thingies.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
dadburn those dadburn newfangled communistic spamination thingies.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Does photobucket use google adsense? If Locke is correct, it sound like the problem most of us are seeing is some kind of hack on adsense.

Or maybe you really do have vista problems.

Or something.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Well, Vista always has problems, but...

It could be adsense. I've just avoided it by clicking out of it.

Locke

Lost the instruction manual
Registered
Reaction score
Is that something you've only had to start doing very recently, in the last couple of days? If not, then it's probably just Photobucket being annoying and not caring too much about what sort of ads are being foisted on their free members.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Yeah, it's a local thing stored on your machine, picked up from an adsense ad -- whether one here or elsewhere. Google says they're working on it.

It's essentially a case of a badly behaved Google ad elsewhere hijacking AW's JavaScript.

It's tied directly to a user's own settings on Google's opt out system

1. Log off of AW
2. Clear your browser cache, history and cookies.
3. Completely Quit, including closing all open browser windows, your browser.
4. Log back in

You will have to do this again, because this particular adware is tied to a number of sites using Google services, ranging from Amazon, to Facebook to Zappos.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I take it we don't even have to click on a Google ad for it to happen? (I never click on ads, here or on any other site.)

I did opt out of interest-based ads in my settings. I guess I need to block that irritating lemode site specifically.

So annoying! Let's hope they get a fix soon.

Last edited:

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Naw. You don't have to click anything. Just the fact that the frame for the ad exists is all it needs to hijack your browser.

The cold, hard fact of it is, though, that without ads, we wouldn't last another quarter. I just couldn't afford it. We manage to break even, most months -- but even that's starting to slip pretty badly, with more and more users using adblockers.

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Worth the annoyance, then. And time for me to send a contribution. :D

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
By the way, if we click on an Amazon ad on AW and make a purchase, does AW get a percentage? I know a lot of blog owners participate in an arrangement like that.

Last edited:

atthebeach

In my happy place
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. I had no idea the site would struggle from Adsense with this type of traffic! But it makes sense as I think about it, if most of us just ignore the ads.

I have clicked on them some just to view (and because I know the benefit to AW), but I know we cannot do that too often or google notes a pattern and it would be a problem for AW.

As times go up and down I will look at possible contributions, on the up times. Please be sure if it gets too difficult to break even you consider telling what numbers are needed to catch up. Or, if this just isn't what you would do (I know I have never seen that here so I get that), at least be sure to give warnings so we could not let this site go. I would feel pretty stupid just donating a small amount, but if I knew we all did that and it helped...
I am more grateful for this site being here than any embarrassing small donation amount could show.

Anyway, sort of off topic, so back to it---glad Google Adsense is fixed. Fwiw I never saw pop ups yet - fingers crossed.

atthebeach

In my happy place
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cross posted with you CassandraW.

If we click on an ad they get money, depending on the arrangement. Sometimes if is just how many views the ads have, sometimes if we click, and with Amazon, it used to be only if we make a purchase (I don't know AW specifically, their arrangements, just blogging in general).

In 2007 before I shut my blog down, I was making about $1 average per click, and with 10,000 visits per month, some click throughs, averaged about $100-$200 a month Google Adsense. I figured I could do that again another time. Oh to turn the clock back and have kept it going... Haha

But I understand it is much lower now, at least what I hear (I have not added Adsense again yet to my new website blog). I know it can be just ten cents per click even.

Anyway, no answer about AW specifically, but yes, viewing, clicking and/or purchasing from the ads helps AW somehow depending.

ETA: but I had Amazon in 2007 and made zero dollars in profit, mine was all Adsense. I wonder now with all I purchase from Amazon if it is better for blogs? I have not looked for it here, but happy to purchase through here if I can.

Last edited:

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
The "Buy Books by AWers" ads that run at the top of the forums bring us a small percentage per sale, through the affiliate program, yes.

The Adsense ads bring us a few cents per click. The direct ads bring a fair bit more, unless we run them at a cut-rate, or for free -- which we do especially for non-profit organizations, if it seems like something you guys would benefit from.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Good to know. I'll push past my fear of clicking on things, for AW's sake. The least I can do is buy a book from a fellow AWer.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Please be sure if it gets too difficult to break even you consider telling what numbers are needed to catch up. Or, if this just isn't what you would do (I know I have never seen that here so I get that), at least be sure to give warnings so we could not let this site go.

Yeah. Could we do a pledge week like on PBS and NPR? No, I'm kidding. I hate those. But, they're necessary and remind me to renew.

I have no idea what it costs to run this huge place. So I don't know if my little $15 or $20 donation helps really.

(And FYI, I asked a question in the FAQ about donating for someone else.)

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
This lemode hack is driving me nuts. When are they going to fix it? It must be the worlds most hated site. How to piss off the whole internet in one easy lesson.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Agreed, miranda. I've actually never had it happen on AW, but plenty of other places.

Thanks Mac for the link to Google ad settings. I wasn't aware of that page - appreciate the heads-up.