Can first person work in Sci Fi or Fantasy?

emax100

Banned
Reaction score
I was suddenly wondering if there is a consensus here on whether or not first person narration can work in this genre. Who thinks it can certainly work, who thinks it never works and actively dislikes it and who thinks it can be enjoyable if it is not done too much and the writers have enough finesse in doing it?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
The answer is yes, it works just fine. Can I ask why you don't think it could?

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
The three books in my sig are all in first, as are the Dresden Files, Sandman Slim books (those are in present too), Rothfuss's Kingkiller books (mostly anyway), Hobb's Assassin series, Morgans' Altered Carbon, Heinlen often wrote in first, Neuromancer, the Stainless Steel Rat books, Oryx and Crake, Left Hand of Darkness, I'm certain some of Cherryh's stuff...

So, er, yeah I think it can be done :D

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
A bit late to the consensus, but yes, of course it can work. More to the point, why would you think that first would not work as a valid POV in these genres? I thought of most of the examples Flibble mentioned, and a few others besides - all published, reasonably successful books.

Like every other factor in writing, it's all about the execution.

emax100

Banned
Reaction score
The answer is yes, it works just fine. Can I ask why you don't think it could?
I guess I just have heard a series of complaints before in writing, often in discussions about things we're sick of, and it seemed to be like first person narrations is in the list of things that get boring and irritating quickly. Maybe that is because too many people use first person in a way such that it is too obvious they are trying to be clever in their execution.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Then that's on them. I tend to ignore, or at least discount, the opinions of readers with inflexible rules of 'I only read X and never Y'.

There are fads in certain genres (especially YA genre fic, for whatever reason), but that's even less reason to follow the trends. Trends burn out. Good writing doesn't.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I get the impression that this advice exists because new writers often fall back on 1st person, especially 1st person present, thinking that the 'immediacy' of it makes it easier, when in fact it's hard to do well. As Mr F points out, there are plenty of examples of 1st person in the genre.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Yes, and it often does. Why wouldn't it?

I guess my befuddlement over this question pretty much gives my opinion :D

Seriously, I've read a bunch of SF and F stories that are in first person. It's a particularly popular pov for urban or contemporary type settings, and for YA, but it crops up in adult secondary world fantasy (and in SF) too.

Ann Leckie's Ancillary Justice is written in first person, and it swept the "big" SF/F awards last year. Scalzi's Old Man's War is very popular, and it is in first person too.

Some recent fantasy titles that are in first person include books by Kate Elliot, NK Jemisin, Robin Hobb, Jones/Bennett, and Jay Lake.

Whether or not a reader likes any or all of these examples? That's a matter of taste, I think, not a statement of whether or not the approach works (or is marketable).

The problem with pet peeve threads is that they quickly devolve into lists of things that we personally don't like, rather than things that are bad writing.

Last edited:

caracy

Expert on Absolutely Nothing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.francinezane.com
Just wondering why you would think it wouldn't. There was a time when it was recommended that beginning writers use third person because it was supposedly easier, but I think it really depends on the story and the writer. If you can stay in character as you write, you can be just as successful either way.

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
I'm guessing it has to do with the explanations -- a first-person narrator can only tell you what they saw/know about while a third-person narrator can fill in blanks, switch to other PoVs, etc.

Recently all of specfic I've read is third-person, but that's because I prefer the distance. As the examples above show it's fully possible to write scifi first-person well.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I'm guessing it has to do with the explanations -- a first-person narrator can only tell you what they saw/know about while a third-person narrator can fill in blanks, switch to other PoVs, etc.

Recently all of specfic I've read is third-person, but that's because I prefer the distance. As the examples above show it's fully possible to write scifi first-person well.

Well, it's more complex than this, because third person can be very immediate and in the head of the pov character (i.e. deep limited third), while first person allows the narrator to step back and tell the story from some future point in time, when he/she has already figured a lot of things out.

Or maybe they're lying to the reader, or completely wrong about something >.>

And I've read multi first person novels. It can work quite well, actually.

So many choices writers have. Sometimes it's just a matter of style or preference, and sometimes it's because a given story just works best in a certain pov or narrative distance/depth.

Last edited:

Sumi Long

Registered
Reaction score
Why do you think 1st person wouldn't work? I've read many Sci Fi and Fantasy novels in the first person. If you were asking about the second person than that would be a different story.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Yes, of course it can.

Hell, you can write a book in three different second person present tense points of view...and have your book nominated for a Hugo.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
As with your previous thread, the fact you asked this makes me wonder whether you read widely in these genres.

The current content of bookstores answers your question.

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
Hell, yes. Why not?

I've written in first and third, fantasy, science fiction and contemporary. I've just finished a 3rd person fantasy; I'm about to start a first person sci fi. It's a case of mix and match. Whatever suits the story and the audience.

There are some wrinkles when writing science fiction and fantasy in first person. You have to find a believable way of explaining world-related issues to the reader. For example, how does your first person narrator explain how your world has managed faster than light travel? What do you assume that your reader knows?

But those are minor wrinkles and there are similar issues with 3rd person fantasy and sci fi stories.

Sorry, can't see a question here.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Of course. Why wouldn't it?

I get the impression that this advice exists because new writers often fall back on 1st person, especially 1st person present, thinking that the 'immediacy' of it makes it easier, when in fact it's hard to do well.

All writing is hard to do well.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
All writing is hard to do well.
This.

The Harry Dresden books are among my absolute favourites and I reread them periodically because they're just so much fun. They're first person. And they're done very well.

If you think first person is a problem, I'd suggest you go through the first person books mentioned in this thread and read them all. Then find some more that are first person and read those. Then ask yourself that question again.

Usher

Registered
Reaction score
I wrote my first fantasy in first person present tense. I've had enough agent to know it wasn't the reason it didn't get taken on. A couple did grumble about the present tense but none mentioned the first person as a barrier.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
The first truly modern SF novel, by the Godfather, H.G. Wells, is The Time Machine, and it's a framed first-person narrative.

caw

And Frankenstein, also considered the first science fiction novel (possibly by different people), is also in first person. Also, the majority of YA SF/F would probably like a word with people who say it can't be done.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I was suddenly wondering if there is a consensus here on whether or not first person narration can work in this genre. Who thinks it can certainly work, who thinks it never works and actively dislikes it and who thinks it can be enjoyable if it is not done too much and the writers have enough finesse in doing it?

Not really sure I understand the point of this thread... are you writing by consensus, or by what works for your story?

As has been said here, first-person SFF stories are nothing new. They have been, and continue to be, successful... not because of the POV alone, but because the stories told by them engaged readers. Some stories work better in first. Some work better in third. Some (few) even seem to work in second. Some authors are also better at using one or the other POV. But I've yet to read (or hear of) a book where everything else was great, but it bombed because readers didn't like first-person POV in their sci-fi or fantasy.

I second the question jjdebenedictis asked: how much do you read in sci-fi/fantasy? A simple skimming of the shelves at your nearest bookstore would tell you what POVs are "in" right now.