Advice for Earth-like Sci-Fi?

CuddlyClementine

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, need a kick up the butt/a little advice - would you be so kind?

My current WIP is about a planet similar to earth. Newborn babies start to display abnormal gifts and abilities after a catastrophic explosion (and some acid rain for good measure.) Somehow it's ended up with elements of politics, even though I have no interest in that at all.

So, I decided to start off with a pre-election interview on a chat show with the soon-to-be world leader. I have no idea what kind of questions the interviewer could ask, aside from the obvious - are you nervous? what does your family think? how has it been juggling normal life and this campaign?

I also wanted to have a Q&A where the public could ask him questions, but I'm coming up fairly short on that as well.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Katharine Tree

Þæt wæs god cyning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
katharinetree.com
I'm dubious about this starting point. It smacks of a device for infodumping/As-You-Know-Bob-ing. Unless the world leader and the interviewer get into it on-camera, there won't be much tension or conflict. Even worse, from my own perspective: everyone will have their tight public faces on, so we won't see any characters being open, vulnerable, honest... lovable.

Going from what you've told me, a more grounding, humanizing opening might have something to do with a small child displaying its powers for the first time. Possibly frightening its parents while doing so.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
I think before coming up with questions, you need to figure out what issues are important to the voters.

Health care? The rising price of oil? Pay rates, parental leave, reproductive health, marriage equality, police brutality?

What are *their* concerns?

CuddlyClementine

Registered
Reaction score
I'm dubious about this starting point. It smacks of a device for infodumping/As-You-Know-Bob-ing. Unless the world leader and the interviewer get into it on-camera, there won't be much tension or conflict.

There will be quite a lot of tension. The world leader does not want to be there and has openly stated his plans of imprisoning all the gifted children/killing those seemed 'too dangerous' to hold.

(probably should have mentioned that, my bad)

Going from what you've told me, a more grounding, humanizing opening might have something to do with a small child displaying its powers for the first time. Possibly frightening its parents while doing so.

I was thinking of having one of the characters watching it while out with her gifted granddaughter. The kid runs off and changes the gravity in a shop or something. Do you think that would work better?

I think before coming up with questions, you need to figure out what issues are important to the voters.

Health care? The rising price of oil? Pay rates, parental leave, reproductive health, marriage equality, police brutality?

What are *their* concerns?

The biggest concern is the gifted children - most of the public is in desperate need of the problem to just go away. They have been a fairly peaceful planet until this - now they have to lock their front doors at night! Can you imagine? :tongue

Last edited:

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
To be completely honest, I find politics mind-numbing boring and amazingly horrid to watch. If you ever studied the depths of politics--or touched on them--I think you can understand what I mean.

Let me explain: Most interviews and Q&As with the crowd are highly structured and the person being interviewed have base answers that they throw up. These answers are soft, have little to no meaning, and barely skim the surface on the topic while giving as much of a show the speaker can give. They're not exactly answering, but appearing like they are. This is what makes up the upper-tier of politics for a lot of democratic (and republics like the US) countries, although in your world that might be different as your system of government and voting can be different.

You can study real interviews and such... but:

For fiction, especially in the opening, I'd want something that completely overturns what I'd expect to see. I'd want to see this happen within the first page--the first paragraph to start off. Have something that doesn't make me roll my eyes at the first page. What about him revealing that he prefers imprisonment, the crowd's positive reaction, and the MC's negative reaction (if there is one)?

CuddlyClementine

Registered
Reaction score
Why are they called gifted children instead of mutants? Do I smell X men here?

Many reasons... I don't like the word 'mutant', just makes me think of the hills have eyes. Secondly, In the world it's impolite to talk about what other people can do, considering most have to hide it for many years, it's become like a social-norm not to talk about it openly. Also my MC calls it her 'gift' - she believes the Gods gave it to her for a reason. I just call it gift automatically now. :D

To be completely honest, I find politics mind-numbing boring and amazingly horrid to watch. If you ever studied the depths of politics--or touched on them--I think you can understand what I mean.

Thank you all for the help, I think I will let the character glimpse part of the interview before realising her granddaughter has just removed gravity from a nearby shop. :D :D

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but whenever I see a plot where society is locking away people with superpowers, I always wonder if comic books don't exist in that universe. Which it looks like they don't in your universe, but still. When will people learn that treating superhumans like animals never ends well?

LOTLOF

Registered
Reaction score
One thing I have noticed about politics is that each side chooses its terms with very deliberate care. A politician you support who always pushes the same issue is 'committed.' A politician from an opposing camp who does the same? Well he's 'fanatical.' The difference between a 'trend setter' and an 'extremist?' Your point of view.

The children would be gifted if this leader wanted to support them. If he wants to lock them up they'll be referred to as diseased, non-normal, or unfortunate. And I'm sure he has no intention of imprisoning them at all. They'll be placed into treatment centers and given 'comprehensive care.'

Like writers, politicians are very aware of the power of words and the need to control their image.

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
Well, you could try watching some political interviews. Google is your friend, as usual.

But I'd echo what others have said about not starting here. Political interviews are generally quite tedious. There is - usually - little sense of tension or threat. How about a heated political rally, a demonstration, an assassination, police brutality, a jailbreak, an argument?

CuddlyClementine

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but whenever I see a plot where society is locking away people with superpowers, I always wonder if comic books don't exist in that universe. Which it looks like they don't in your universe, but still. When will people learn that treating superhumans like animals never ends well?

It's based on a different world but still with humans, no comics though. The plan is that the world has never had much tragedy or crime. They are peaceful people, and all of a sudden their entire world turns upside down. I am trying to avoid making it samey, have some twists and unexpected directions taken.

But no, this will not end well. :D

The children would be gifted if this leader wanted to support them. If he wants to lock them up they'll be referred to as diseased, non-normal, or unfortunate. And I'm sure he has no intention of imprisoning them at all. They'll be placed into treatment centres and given 'comprehensive care.'

Like writers, politicians are very aware of the power of words and the need to control their image.

I've used words like 'creatures', 'deviants', 'saveages', 'monsters' in most of his speech, and he is a foul man, if I do say so myself. But the world is slowly falling apart and the public don't know what to do. Eventually the mutants have electronic IDs implanted (thanks for Obama skin-chip rumours for that!) which have comprehensive files on how dangerous they are and their bios, as well as GPS tracking so if they escape they have to cut it out or be captured. Lovely.

But I'd echo what others have said about not starting here. Political interviews are generally quite tedious. There is - usually - little sense of tension or threat. How about a heated political rally, a demonstration, an assassination, police brutality, a jailbreak, an argument?

I started it off with a glimpse of the interview, but it focuses now on a grandmother with her granddaughter - the kid runs off while grandma is watching the interview and causes mayhem.

The president does get assassinated later on, at his election party in front of cameras - do you think I should start with that instead?

Fuck me, why are the first few pages so hard?

Last edited:

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Make it a "live" interview televised in real time. In the midst of the aspiring leader's deliberately vague response to a pointed question, have an undetected "terrorist" shouting some appropriate zealotry burst onto the set, and dramatically botch the assassination attempt. Panic ensues; the cameras keep rolling. As the leader's security detail wrestles the assailant to the floor, the interviewer wets his pants.

(See? Politics can be entertaining... I know I'd keep reading.)

CuddlyClementine

Registered
Reaction score
Make it a "live" interview televised in real time. In the midst of the aspiring leader's deliberately vague response to a pointed question, have an undetected "terrorist" shouting some appropriate zealotry burst onto the set, and dramatically botch the assassination attempt. Panic ensues; the cameras keep rolling. As the leader's security detail wrestles the assailant to the floor, the interviewer wets his pants.

(See? Politics can be entertaining... I know I'd keep reading.)

I would, too. This gives me hope! Although I still can't decide whether I should start with the assassination. It's quite a gruesome scene and it would dump the reader in the middle without much context. I'm just worried it will be too much all at once.

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
If the assassination is the inciting incident, I'm assuming it'll be in the blurb on the back? If so, I would read through the interview just to see him get killed. That would hook me.

And you don't have to make the interview dry if you don't want to. This place doesn't have comic books; who says their interviews can't be witty and tension-filled?

CuddlyClementine

Registered
Reaction score
If the assassination is the inciting incident, I'm assuming it'll be in the blurb on the back? If so, I would read through the interview just to see him get killed. That would hook me.

And you don't have to make the interview dry if you don't want to. This place doesn't have comic books; who says their interviews can't be witty and tension-filled?

Thank you. Yeah I'd say it is. After the president gets killed in front of the entire world the Government decides to start a war.

I'm trying to figure out questions that would get under the presidents skin, but since he's willing to kill endless amounts of people I don't think he would get bothered by much an interviewer could say.

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe the interviewer keeps asking inane questions of the stereotypical tabloid kind? And when the president tries to make the interview serious again, she asks what kind of fried food he likes best. :D Probably not the best for the tone of the story, but hey...

So the gravity-bending girl is a main character? Or her grandmother is? I do like the idea of a kid running off and causing trouble. Always leads to something interesting.

Last edited:

CuddlyClementine

Registered
Reaction score
That's brilliant! Even though it's bloodthirsty I have added some jokes. Can't all be blood and guts.

Sort of. Her older brother Noel is friends with the MC. There's 3 kids living with the grandmother, Jas Noel and Harriet (the little girl). Jas and Noel decided to leave home when the arguments about them being gifted got too bad. Just as they were leaving they see Harriet in the front room and everything is in the air. So they take her too. The grandmother decides to hide them because the streets aren't safe. Harriet likes to run off and they end up getting shipped to Longleaf (guarded mutant living place-ish) aaaand introduction to mutant world.

Last edited:

Michele AKA Twig

Lurking In The Corner...
Registered
Reaction score
One thing that could get under his skin is to make it personal. Maybe the president has a relative that has powers and he is either trying to hide that fact so he can 'take care of it' or something similar. Maybe his own kid? Such personal questions almost always get under a person skin, especially if they're trying to hide it.

CuddlyClementine

Registered
Reaction score
One thing that could get under his skin is to make it personal. Maybe the president has a relative that has powers and he is either trying to hide that fact so he can 'take care of it' or something similar. Maybe his own kid? Such personal questions almost always get under a person skin, especially if they're trying to hide it.

This is interesting! He could have left his family because one of his kids is mutated. Interviewer could ask how his family are handling the new fame, what they think of him running for president... Thank you! :D

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
I think you need to be even-handed on this. If these are a "nice, peaceful people," what is it about the children that scares them so badly? People don't usually turn against their children unless they're facing a catastrophe.

Are these children a real and constant danger to others? (E.g. if everyone who touches one spontaneously combusts.) If they are, then taking some sort of action to protect the public is not so reprehensible. Does tolerance mean not doing anything while non-mutants are dying?

This can build up some genuine moral tension. How does society react when faced with a situation where all alternatives seem to inflict injustice on some group?

CuddlyClementine

Registered
Reaction score
I think you need to be even-handed on this. If these are a "nice, peaceful people," what is it about the children that scares them so badly? People don't usually turn against their children unless they're facing a catastrophe.

I agree.

If anyone is interested: The Government are intent on keeping the planet peaceful. What causes the kids to be born with extra abilities is a mining catastrophe. There's a huge explosion, with terrible storms and acid rain. Many people die and the people mourn.

When the Gov. hear about babies burning down houses and kids disappearing one place and appearing in another, they see a future of them getting picked for jobs over non-mutants because they have additional skills or threatening society to get what they want. They consider them a security risk. They do tests on the children and for years and release a steady amount of propaganda.