What modern Sci-Fi should I read?

RandomWords

Registered
Reaction score
I was going to say Cherryh but I've been reading her for 30 years so wasn't sure if it counted as modern :D Her style I think influenced many -- she really pushed the very limited deep third in a lot of books (Maybe why I did not get on with Downside Station was it?) But she is fab at really getting into heads. For some different perspectives, Merchanter's Luck, Cuckoo's Egg, Pride of Chanur and...crap...40,000 to (somewhere Gerhanna?). The last in particular partially takes the viewpoint of a clone who has been brainwashed. But I wouldn't call any of them modern. However, the Foreigner series (which I have yet to start) is ongoing.

Really delving into a different perspectives is her greatest strength imo (and her SF masquerading as fantasy, Chronicles of Morgaine, is why I took up writing. I wanted to do to other people what she did to me. The second of those books I thought I hated. Then I realised that she'd shown the world so well it was the crapsack world I hated, not the book)

I know CJ Cherryh is one of the towering figures, but I feel like every time I see one of her books on the shelf, the cover art looks like fantasy / romance genre that's a bit off-putting to me. Any thoughts on the best entry point for a Cherryh virgin? <--failed pun attempt

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For decades fantasy and sci-fi has been, no offense, costumed soap opera. They have long since stopped taking the reader on a fantastic journey of the imagination, but instead provide repetitive bloated serials which sooth the nerves as surely as another episode of Dallas (at least for those whose nerves are thusly soothed). Scheming barons, love-struck princesses, noble apprentices, geeky 'magic systems' on one side, on the other--relentless recycling of galactic marines whose recruits discover the value of comrades under fire, of plucky earthmen outwitting technologically superior invaders, of feudal empires re-inacted in space...

It's like for most sci-fi writers the genre peaked circa 1954 and the only thing left to do is to produce endless variations. And I don't want to talk about most fantasy writers. Moorcock was an aberration, not a herald of new genre vistas about to open up.

I think to some extent you're falling prey to "survivor bias". It's the same thing that causes some people to bemoan that "they don't build houses like they used to", pointing to some surviving example from a past century. Given enough time, the "bad houses" fall down, and so the well-built and well-cared-for survivors become the iconic examples of "good houses" that supposedly all houses of that era were built like.

Not so, and I would argue also not so for SF/F. There was an awful lot of pure drek written in the 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, <insert your favorite nostalgic decade here>. But what we tend to remember are the award-winners that are still in print. Well, of course those are good! They won awards!

And I'd be willing to bet that fifty years from now, people will be ignoring / unaware of much of the drek being written today. It will seem like an age of creative giants.

It's up to all us new writers to re-introduce the old feeling of awe and wonder into fantasy and sci-fi, but until that happens--The New Wave of Space Opera is where epic really resides today. This is where the reader goes on a fantastic journey and returns enriched by the experience, not simply having lost some more time via banal love triangles and evil wizards and ancient swords and saddled dragons and alien barons--if a book is the equivalent of a TV serial, not better, not different, then why bother...

Well, yes, that's an excellent thing to strive for. But writing truly original plots is hard. Perhaps impossible -- on some level, we're probably all recycling classic Greek tales.

There's also the matter of what markets are willing to buy. Truly original stuff is sometimes rejected as being "unmarketable". Tom Clancy's "The Hunt for Red October", Margaret Mitchell's "Gone With the Wind", Alex Haley's "Roots" -- all rejected many dozens of times before finally finding a publisher, because they were "different". (Yes, they all did sell eventually, and reap acclaim -- but how many novels don't have authors that keep sticking their ego back into the buzzsaw after such treatment, and die quietly as a result?)

Whereas, write another bloated Tolkein clone, or Star Wars rip-off, and at least the literary market knows how to sell that, what cover to put on it, etc etc. "There's a market for it" is probably why we see so many familiar works. That, and we're not all creative giants (speaking for myself, anyway). :D

Also, Dan Simmons, who is mostly known to some as a horror or a crime noir writer, has a splendid contribution to epic space opera through Hyperion.

On that we agree. :)

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Not so, and I would argue also not so for SF/F. There was an awful lot of pure drek written in the 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, <insert your favorite nostalgic decade here>. But what we tend to remember are the award-winners that are still in print. Well, of course those are good! They won awards!

And I'd be willing to bet that fifty years from now, people will be ignoring / unaware of much of the drek being written today. It will seem like an age of creative giants.

Even award winners fade to obscurity of they’re not good enough.

Jo Walton did a great series of posts at Tor.com revisiting each year’s Hugo* nominees and winners from 1953 to 2000. Here is the index to those posts. She talks about staying power (or not) of the winners, which books that year are still popular and a lot of other meaty stuff.

Oh, heck, just go look at all her posts at Tor.com. She’s one of the best book bloggers out there. The latest two entries are talking about exciting SF and Fantasy books from the last decade. OP will be interested in that.

There's also the matter of what markets are willing to buy. Truly original stuff is sometimes rejected as being "unmarketable". Tom Clancy's "The Hunt for Red October", Margaret Mitchell's "Gone With the Wind", Alex Haley's "Roots" -- all rejected many dozens of times before finally finding a publisher, because they were "different". (Yes, they all did sell eventually, and reap acclaim -- but how many novels don't have authors that keep sticking their ego back into the buzzsaw after such treatment, and die quietly as a result?)

In that vein, I also HIGHLY recommend you add Rosemary Kirstein to your list. There are four so far with three more planned. The Steerswoman, The Outskirter’s Secret, The Lost Steersman, and The Language of Power. Stick with them. They may or may not be what you think at the beginning. I don’t want to spoil anything by being more explicit.

If you don’t mind being a bit spoiled, here is Jo Walton’s take on them. (They are now only out in e-book format or at used book stores as far as I know.)

I will state that there are only TWO authors whos books I collect in both paper and e-editions, and will pick up multiple paper versions to give to friends. Kirstein is one of them. Lois McMaster Bujold is the other.

* The Hugo awards are voted on by members of the World Science Fiction Society—everyone who has a supporting or attending membership to that year’s WorldCon. (Members of Sasquan, the 2015 WorldCon, will vote on works produced in 2014. Get your membership before January 31 if you want to nominate.)

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
It's like for most sci-fi writers the genre peaked circa 1954 and the only thing left to do is to produce endless variations. And I don't want to talk about most fantasy writers. Moorcock was an aberration, not a herald of new genre vistas about to open up.

Of course, this ignores the work of John Brunner, Frank Herbert, Philip K. Dick, Roger Zelazny, Samuel Delany, Connie Willis, Ursula LeGuin, Thomas Disch, James Tiptree, Larry Niven, Gene Wolfe, Norman Spinrad...and the list goes on.

Last edited: