Get Yer YA Recommendations Here!

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
For #2 - I'll throw Proxy out there by by Alex London. The second is coming out soon-ish I believe, but I really loved the first one.

Agree on PROXY rec.
The first one was pretty good. Pace was a bit fast, but ok. And with that ending, I'm bound to read the follow-up too.

Alienmermaid

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I hope I'm in the right place.

I'm looking for a comp title to read, so I thought I'd ask here. Are there any fantasy/horror YA books with an ancient evil twist? :Shrug: I've read most of the Mortal Instruments, but it's not quite hitting the mark. My ms. has more of a horror, secret society ancient evil thingy going on. Or maybe I've posted in the wrong spot, if so would someone mind directing me to the correct place. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
Readalikes to MTV's TEEN WOLF?

Can anyone recommend me any good YA books in the vein of the MTV series Teen Wolf?

Me and my flatmate are HUGE fans - although still only halfway through series 3 so no series 3 spoilers in this thread please! - and I would love to find a book similar to read. Like, I love the humour and the characterisation, but also how it plays with different mythologies and ideas, and how the writers aren't afraid to make things dark and confusing.

I also love when the paranormal ability/trait is shown as a weakness as well as a power, a curse instead of a blessing - like in Maggie Stiefvater's SHIVER.

ETA: No mysterious dangerous agressive alpha-male LIs please!

Thank you! :)

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
Summer Beach Read recommendations?

Also, can anyone recommend me any summery YA contemps? Something by the beach or somewhere sunny, with or without romance. Basically I just want something I can get lost in and pretend it's not raining buckets outside!

Or, even better, something that's summery but also dark and moody - perhaps in the vein of THE SUMMER OF SKINNY DIPPING or AMELIA ANNE IS DEAD AND GONE?

Thanks!

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
Looking for some YA Sci-Fi recommendations. I would like some recent novels, maybe last ten years, so I can get a feel for what is out there currently. My next WIP is going to be sci-fi, but I don't really read it much. I know, that sounds weird, but anyway. I want things that are a little more mainstream and not way-out-there sci-fi. My story will have sci-fi elements, but I probably won't make the world building over the top. Also, this will have a touch of dystopian sci-fi, I guess, so looking for that. I've already read UGLIES series and CINDER. Something like those but more sci-fi, maybe. Thanks for any suggestions.

Periwinkle

Registered
Reaction score
Most of the YA sci-fi I've read is a crossover with something else. I'd recommend:

Across the Universe trilogy - Beth Revis
The Fifth Wave - Rick Yancey
The Chaos Walking series - Patrick Ness

jtrylch13

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the book recs Periwinkle! I've already read THE FIFTH WAVE, forgot to mention that one, but I'll give the others a try. I think I'm looking for crossover sci-fi with other things, like you mentioned.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Surely someone has a summery YA contemp recommendation? :)

Almost any Sarah Dessen novel. I'm pretty sure most of them take place in the summer, and they all have a summery feel to them even if they don't. They aren't as light as they look, either. I've cried buckets through most of her books.

Christabelle

Registered
Reaction score
A friend of mine is looking for a book set in the southwest after a nuclear meltdown. She thinks there's a traffic jam in it.

I told her I'd never heard of it, but I'd check around.

Sleepysara

Registered
Reaction score
Recommendations for gritty YA

I want to read some realistic, gritty, contemporary YA. I liked Paul Griffin's Stay With Me. Any suggestions?

jtrylch13

Registered
Reaction score
Jay Asher's 13 REASONS WHY

Mindy McGinnis' NOT A DROP TO DRINK is pretty gritty, but it's post-apocalyptic.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
And we are here. But, sadly, I have no recs for you because I don't read much contemp

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
I want to read some realistic, gritty, contemporary YA. I liked Paul Griffin's Stay With Me. Any suggestions?

I haven't read STAY WITH ME. How gritty are we talking? Like Ellen Hopkins/Elizabeth Scott gritty or softer than that? My No. 1 rec for gritty contemp would go to any book by Laurie Halse Anderson. That said, NOBODY BUT US by Kristin Halbrook is sort of a gritty, sad love story and pretty recent, so that may be more along the lines of STAY WITH ME.

LivingDork

the zompocalypse is coming
Registered
Reaction score
YA Novels for Male Readers

Hi all! I need suggestions for good YA books with male protagonists/written for a male audience (ie not YA romance)? Any genre/QUILTBAG themes are fine, but horror suggestions particularly appreciated. :)

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
As much as I hate to say it: The Maze Runner

Off my bookcase:

Hannah Moskowitz: Break (YA contemp - most anything from Hannah will work)
Jennifer A Nielsen: The False Prince (magic-less fantasy, YA, maybe MG?)
Holly Black: White Cat (YA fantasy)
Sarah Rees Brennan: Demon's Lexicon (YA fantasy)

Periwinkle

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all! I need suggestions for good YA books with male protagonists/written for a male audience (ie not YA romance)? Any genre/QUILTBAG themes are fine, but horror suggestions particularly appreciated. :)

THE MONSTRUMOLOGIST series by Rick Yancey - literary horror, exellent writing but not for the squeamish

CHAOS WALKING series by Patrick Ness (sci-fi not horror). The first book is THE KNIFE OF NEVER LETTING GO.

I haven't read this one but I AM NOT A SERIAL KILLER by Dan Wells falls in this category, I think.

Last edited:

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for some darker books, along the lines of THE SIN-EATER'S CONFESSION, where people are the monsters. Any ideas?

Sleepysara

Registered
Reaction score

Griffin's Stay With Me alternates between a male and female narrator; I think it is meant to appeal to both male and female audiences. A love story is a major plot line, but it's also about poverty and dog-training and violence.