What are you reading?

David Poellot

Registered
Reaction score
Finished Another Fine Myth by Robert Asprin. Moving on to Myth Conceptions, because it is a two book set. I enjoy the humorous way he writes.

dreamcatcher

Registered
Reaction score
Just started The Last Unicorn by Peter S Beagle. It is so beautifully written. If you loved the movie as a kid, you'll love the book even more.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
Just started The Last Unicorn by Peter S Beagle. It is so beautifully written. If you loved the movie as a kid, you'll love the book even more.

I always loved that movie. Introduced it to my daughter a year ago, and she loves it as well. Never knew it was a book. Thanks!!

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Edmond Hamilton, The Haunted Stars (1960 hardback edition). I first read that science fiction novel fifty years ago in mass market paperback (I still have my copy). When I saw a used hardback some time ago, I bought it, and have now finally decided THIS is the day I re-read it. It was entrancing when I was 14 and still is good reading. (The hardback is lots less crumbly and yellowed than the paperback.)

--Ken

TCnKC

Registered
Reaction score
Tropic of Cancer - Henry Miller

God, I had to read that for a creative writing course a few years ago. The instructor loved it. I hated that damn book and it had little to do with the vulgarity that banned it for so long. There was no story whatsoever and I hated the narrator/MC.

I know it's suppose to be a book about the "human condition" but it made me want to bang my head against the desk(I guess that's one condition.)

I'm not someone who usually detests any book(even those I don't enjoy) but I found TOC be utterly depressing and without any value.

HarryHoskins

Straw-fed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
God, I had to read that for a creative writing course a few years ago. The instructor loved it. I hated that damn book and it had little to do with the vulgarity that banned it for so long. There was no story whatsoever and I hated the narrator/MC.

I know it's suppose to be a book about the "human condition" but it made me want to bang my head against the desk(I guess that's one condition.)

I'm not someone who usually detests any book(even those I don't enjoy) but I found TOC be utterly depressing and without any value.

I'm currently a quarter of the way through and I think it is definitely compelling, although I haven't worked out whether I like it or not. (Though I think I'm erring towards the two thumbs and one phallus up.)

It's making me read it like it has no punctuation and the hundreds of strong images and ideas are just rolling over me.

Verdict at the moment - an alive stream of consciousness like talking to a smart dirty drunk at a bar five hours in to a lock-in. Funny and disjointed.

Oh, and it's made me hungry, too.

Not sure I'd want to analyze it too much, I'm getting the feeling it's just gotta be read.

You didn't have a woman named M as your creative writing instructor by any chance? :)

Darkshore

Stranger
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Hammered by Kevin Hearne (Cliffhanger!) and now I'm tearing through A Shot in The Dark by K.A. Stewart.

TCnKC

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently a quarter of the way through and I think it is definitely compelling, although I haven't worked out whether I like it or not. (Though I think I'm erring towards the two thumbs and one phallus up.)

It's making me read it like it has no punctuation and the hundreds of strong images and ideas are just rolling over me.

Verdict at the moment - an alive stream of consciousness like talking to a smart dirty drunk at a bar five hours in to a lock-in. Funny and disjointed.

Oh, and it's made me hungry, too.

Not sure I'd want to analyze it too much, I'm getting the feeling it's just gotta be read.

You didn't have a woman named M as your creative writing instructor by any chance? :)

I think that's a pretty good analysis(stream of consciousness.) I don't know, for me it just got on my nerves but I'm glad you're enjoying it. I think the class was split on like/dislike. Maybe the problem was we spent weeks discussing it.

And my instructor was a male :)

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished: Jennifer Hillier's CREEP. A serious page-turner. It's all I can do not to shake the author and say, "Give me another one, STAT."

Now reading: Kate Atkinson's BEHIND THE SCENES AT THE MUSEUM. It's a quieter novel, but beautifully written.

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com

Me too. Sometimes you have to read a book just to see what all the fuss is about.

Right now I'm struggling with Lord Jim.

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still reading Moby-Dick. Only 75 pages to go! :Thumbs:

lacygnette

Sucked in by AW again
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.terrilewis1.com
Busy Monsters by William Giraldi. If you love language or crazy love stories (not romance or women's fiction), this is the book for you

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
The Ghost Map by Steven Johnson.

First heard about it on this site actually, though I don't remember what thread it was in. Maybe one of the Uncle Jim threads. Picked up a lot of AW recs over the years.

At first just from reading the summary I had unpleasant flashbacks to The Hot Zone, a book I was assigned in high school but remains the only book I could not finish due to the squick factor. Apparently I can read about anything except the ebola virus. But anyways, this one's about cholera and I find it to be quite compelling nonfiction. If nothing else it's a great real world example of the ripple effect on both a large and relatively small scale.

Satsya

slow and steady
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished the first book in the Bartimaeus trilogy by Jonathan Stroud.

I'd been pestered to read it for a few years, and finally got around to it. It didn't immediately capture me, but to my surprise I found myself reading it nearly nonstop over the course of a couple of days (I'm a slow reader, yes). It was great fun. I'm glad I've got another two books in the series to read (and apparently a prequel, as well).