Status
Not open for further replies.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Watching my grandma enter her 90's has been hilarious. When she was young she was, in her own words, a "very naughty" girl - an adventurous tomboy who pranked everyone. (The first time she met my grandpa, she exchanged the cherry tomatoes in his salad with radishes. He ate them.) Then she got married and had kids and assumed a perfect facade of womanhood. She's just now reaching the point in her life where she seriously doesn't give a f*ck what anyone thinks, and her true self is showing through. She is SO funny. Who knew?

SelmaW

Follow your heart; take your brain
Registered
Reaction score
Jo I about died laughing at that first grandma story. "Well, not very closely!" That is hilarious.

The plague seems to have passed by me. I'm very grateful to be able to breathe out of both nostrils. It's the little things.

Dragonfly45

Purveyor of the Sparkly
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colbymarshall.blogspot.com
HAPPY B-DAY DRAGONFLY!

So... how do you know you're a mother of a small child, pregnant, and attempting to manage a career as a novelist? When you flake out on someone for the second time in a week, and then realize you've been out and about and it's noon and you never brushed your hair.

Brushed hair is SOOOO over- rated ;-)

Thank you all for the birthday wishes- I'm still going through and repping, but I appreciate you all. I've also got an announcement for you guys if I haven't told you already--I signed with a new agent! So, that was a nice birthday present ;-)

Little1

Hakuna Matata
Registered
Reaction score
(((Caleb)))) I am glad you are doing better

Happy birthday dragon:)

Lil, when does your book come out? I erm downloaded it and am reading it now from amazon...

Blond, I can't wait to see the cover of 3:59 :)

Uuggghhhh to those deleting posts :p

Please send good vibes and prayers an thoughts to a 4 or 5 yo girl named josilyn in my nephews class. They just got a call that a heart is available. And she will be prepped at 10pm eastern tonight for the transplant. Pls also do the same for the doners family :(

JennW

Hangin' with my writing peeps
Registered
Reaction score
Little - thoughts and prayers to both children. hope it all goes well.

lily - prelim congrats on your release. must order my copy soon!

guys i am driving myself crazy second guessing every little thing i work on. ahhhhhhh.

charmingbillie

Are we there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
Good evening!

Repped as I went, though I'm pretty sure I missed several things. Oh, wait, no, that stuff was all deleted :D

It rained this morning and now it's 30 so the roads are fine, but the sidewalks are icy, icy, icy. Ugh. I couldn't walk dogs this morning and only a short terror-filled walk for Blue tonight which means they are determined to annoy me (they have a yard, but it is muddy and, apparently, boring). Also, of course it means not much exercise for me.

Fun thing for the day: I took two of my cover flats in last week to get framed. When I picked them up today the young woman showing me the results said--"I hope you don't mind, I shared your covers with a group I'm in on F@ceb00k of P@tricia Br!ggs fans. Because if she recommends it, we all want to read it."

So, yeah, you never know what's good publicity.

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
Billie, AWESOME!

Happy Birthday, Dragonfly!

Jo, honey, I'm not preggo anymore and I do that at LEAST once a week. I blame the children. They cost us brain cells, I think. ;)

Maer and GJB, Tweeted!

Lil, did I miss a tweet for you today? I did the one yesterday.

Blondie, I can't wait!! :)

Also, Jo, I want to be like your grandma when I grow up. :D

Cindy, a friend of mine who does criminal forensics in LA just sent me the guy's manifesto. If half of it's true, they still have some SERIOUS issues out there. Not that it's an excuse for murder, at all, but my goodness.

I was on Mysterist@s talking about the new contract today, among other things, if anyone's interested. :)

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
LynDee, there was one today and there's one more scheduled for tomorrow. *snorples*

Dragon, I shared yours on FB.

ETA: I'm tired and doing nothing constructive. I should write, but it'd be wasted effort. Going offline to read. Sleep tight, all!

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Lwalker, you mean you want to hook your grandkids up with each other? I'm sure the great-grandkids will come out just fine... :D

I read that dude's manifesto all the way through. It was... I dunno, sad and amazing and scary. He's obviously depressed (he admits it) and hopeless, but he doesn't seem out of his mind at all. It's horrible to think the system has failed to such an extent that someone who seems like such a decent person feels he has no other recourse.

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
I haven't read it, does anyone have a link?

I mean, we are talking about the LAPD here. There are some good officers, to be sure, and in some ways, it seems like the department has come a long way, but there's a very long history of abuse there. I've had both great and horrible encounters with them, personally.

And, I concur. If I live to be 90, I hope I have your grandmother's attitude, Jo. Hell, I think I want to start having it now!

JennW

Hangin' with my writing peeps
Registered
Reaction score
Billie - that is awesome!

jo, love your grandma story!

okay, i'm all about the exclamation marks tonight, apparently!:p

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Wow...just...

Wow...

I'll never understand why he took it out on those two kids though (the young couple). I mean, I don't understand killing at all. But that one's hard to justify on any level.

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
That's just...yikes.

Happy (late) birthday, Dragonfly! Hope it was a fabulous day! And yay new agent news!

All the yays for Lily's book!

Glad that there are good things happening. :) I came home from school and just had to veg on the couch for an hour before taking an impromptu nap. School's wearing me out, but it's also really rewarding. I think one of my favorite things aside from learning something new every day is making connections to my students and getting to know their stories.

My student teaching friends and I vent a lot about how ridiculously busy we are, especially with university making us do all kinds of unnecessary stuff, but it's been a great experience so far.

Flip side though, I barely get to read anymore, because I'm so tired. Must change that!

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
Jo, I was leaning more to the the "say whatever the f$&k you want" part. ;)

And I agree. While I can't justify vigilante killings, he didn't sound crazy to me. I've read and heard plenty of crazy. This guy sounds depressed, desperate, and resigned to the fact that he won't survive this thing. It's sad. Once upon a many moons ago time, I had a reason to do some research on the way they used to do things in the LAPD. They claimed to have overhauled it, but it looks like they might still have a ways to go.

Anyway. Sad, sad story all the way around.

Lil, done!

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
i havent read. i just don't want to.
it's not like i don't know corruption
racism sexism and bigotry exists. is
institutionalized. but the minute he
murdered that innocent couple--he lost
my ear amd sympathy.

i am only praying this ends as non violently
as possible. but this guy has nothing to lose
and wanting to go down in a blaze of glory. =(

southern cali puglets, be safe out there.
police are jumpy and riddled two old asian
women's truck with dozens of bullets. amazing
they are alive...

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Actually "blaze of glory" is not at all what he seems to want. The letter is really quite fascinating. He's pro-gun control, for one thing. He basically feels like his name has been tarnished by the corruption of the dept and the police are now so corrupt that they're the "enemy." He apologizes to all of his relatives and such. He is not at all your typical mass shooter stereotype, if that's a thing. He even speaks out against them. Anyway, I was quite surprised. I do hope this ends asap, and that at the very least this will prompt a serious look at the LAPD command structure.

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Yeah,what Jo said. It's really pretty remarkable. Not justifiable, what he did. I mean, no way. But remarkable.

I really have to wonder if he's suffering from the TBI condition (I forget what it's called) from playing football.

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
jo, from what i understand, he is
targeting (so far, for now) cops.

fairly certain if he continues this
mentality--gruesome outcome.

i very much doubt LAPD will come
with a bull horn to say we exonerate
you, we were wrong.

i'd love to be surprised by either party.

and you know what?

action speaks louder than words.
pro gun control my ass.
what a fucking hypocrite.

Status
Not open for further replies.