Reaction score
Rose that is adorable and awesome.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
When my sister was young, my maternal grandfather got a kick out of offering her a tomato in one hand and a chocolate bar in the other. She'd always take the tomato.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Oh, the usual. Pinworms and hornworms eating my tomatoes and jalapenos, aphids and ants on my melons, black swallowtail larvae eating my parsley and dill, squash and zucchini not setting fruit, mildew all over my cucumber vines. Hooray for organic gardening--the cycle of life is certainly in full swing.

At least the cucumbers are producing more than I can eat.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I have something digging up my garden, two onions, a raddish, two carrots, and two potatoes. There's a dog that's running loose as well as a raccoon and a skunk in the area so I'm not sure which or if perhaps all of them are involved.

2Wheels

Anachronista
Registered
Reaction score
I have so far frozen about 4 lbs of raspberries, made 4 pots of raspberry jam, eaten at least a lb or two, given away a lb or two, have about a lb sitting in the fridge and I'm still not done picking. Up next: freezer style raspberry and pineapple jam.

The asparagus is over 6 ft tall. The little butter beans are ... gorgeous!
Will have oodles of purple and yellow beans ready this week. Parsnips are going strong as are the carrots and beets. Oh, and so are the weeds.

All organic too!

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
That's fantastic. I love raspberries. Those have to wait until I have a garden of my own. I plan on lining the entire fence line with plants like raspberries, with walk around room for a full 360 degree picking room when I get my own place.

2Wheels

Anachronista
Registered
Reaction score
Just be careful what you wish for! I started with only 3 canes about 3 years ago. I now have a dense patch that's about 10 ft by 5 ft, and it would be three times that size if I wasn't ripping out new shoots on an almost daily basis!
(But they are delicious!)

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah raspberries will multiply very quickly, but I want to give them plenty of room. I hope I can someday.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mmm, the raspberries are going crazy here, at my grandmother's in Czech. They are already telling me to pick more when I've made almost 4 jars of no-sugar-added jelly. And that stuff doesn't keep very long.

But raspberries are awesome. Having them along the fence is smart as I have to wade in to get them all, and they have a plant here that will BURN you INSTANTLY with the slightest touch.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
help! i am awash in a sea of eggplant. it never did well for me before, i was expecting maybe a couple of eggplant parmesan dinners but this must be a banner year for it! i have long, skinny eggplants, gorgeous purple eggplants, lavender and white speckled eggplants. anyone know any recipes that don't involve frying? --s6

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
i printed off the ratatouille. i thought i needed lamb to do that one but no. i'll have to use canned tomatoes because i don't have enough ripe ones for the recipe. my neighbors on either side at the community garden do have lots of ripe tomatoes and they are not too quick about picking them(-- lead me not into temptation) but i have everything else down to the garlic and my sweet peppers are beautiful--my brother specializes in home grown garlic and onions. i'm not much of a cook but i'm giving it a try--s6

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd take some eggplant off your hands, but I can't digest the stuff for some reason (maybe cuz it's a nightshade?). That and I'm currently on another continent ofc :D

The raspberries are starting to go bad so I'll be picking the ones that aren't overripe tomorrow for a bit and my grandmother can make sugared jam to her heart's content.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Half the garden is a jungle! No one weeded while I was away. And the rabbits or something like to eat whole pepper plants. Luckily my personal three are in pots and yielding a ton of banana peppers at the moment. I have enough for daily snacking (in the toaster oven for 15-20 minutes. Add cheese of various sorts, +/- basil and tomato). Mmm.

Question: My old varieties of basil, from the time of apartment living, have all gone to seed nicely. I looked at them and they don't seem to have actual seeds yet. What am I looking for so I don't have seeds dropping to the ground?

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
the seeds are in the little papery discs at the end of the stalks. don't bother taking the seeds out. save the whole stalks in an envelope or baggy. you might have time for a second crop--depending on location--s6

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kewlies. We already have some different age basil coming up, but I might plant a last batch just to see how it does. The parsley has gone to hell so we can free up those pots :D

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
And the rabbits or something like to eat whole pepper plants.
I've heard people say this before. I'm convinced it's actually hornworms, which are just as happy to eat peppers as tomatoes and tobacco. They eat leaves, stem, fruit, everything, and one worm can do an entire plant in a few days.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hm, I will look for worms, but the tomatoes are jammed in with the peppers and totally untouched. My first guess was a deer b/c the plant was stripped from the top down and then left alone.