Occupational Licensing vs. Privacy

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
AKA: Government assistance: stalker and anti-sex nutjob edition.

Here's the story.
Dancers and managers at a Washington state strip club are now suing to stop their county from releasing their names, photos, and other identifying information to a man who has filed a public records request for it. The complaint, filed in U.S. District Court in Tacoma Tuesday, says the Pierce County Auditor's Office received a request from David A. Van Vleet for copies of all adult entertainment licenses on file for Dreamgirls at Fox's. Why does this man want identifying info on current and former dancers at the Tacoma-based strip club? Nobody knows. (I reached out to Van Vleet yesterday but haven't heard back.) But because strippers in most areas of Washington must obtain an "entertainer's license", their identities are a matter of public record.
The attorney involved points out the problem:
Attorney Gilbert H. Levy acknowledged that the information was technically fair game under the state Public Records Act, but said the privacy and safety interests of strip club workers necessitates keeping their real names and identities confidential.
No one knows if Van Vleet is a crazy stalker, an anti-sex nutjob, a blackmailer or a 4chan-er. OTOH, it's hard to imagine a benign reason for his request. In any case, the licensing requirement and associated database threatens to bring some form of grief down on a group of otherwise-innocent women simply because of their occupation.

I wonder if clowns, comedians and musicians are required to have an "entertainer's license?" What about writers, for that matter? They're entertainers. How many clowns, comedians, musicians and writers are subject to random search and photography of their tattoos?

What possible legitimate reason could there be for maintaining a database of strippers? I guess if it's legitimate to license hair braiders, horse masseuses, and costumed superheros, it's legitimate to license strippers.

I wonder if they have to pass a licensing exam? Where do I go to apply for a job as a stripper examiner? Is the exam pass-fail, or are there grades? What separates a Grade-A stripper from a Grade-B stripper? Or are the rankings more beef-like; Prime vs. Choice?

Last edited:

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
Is the license is another tool for the county to collect more money, or are there requirements to obtain it? That would be the test to figure out if it's another form of taxation, or something that shows skill. And, if there are skill tests involved, I nominate Don to be the licensing examiner.

If they have to have regular testing for health reasons, then I'd think the information would be private. (That's why I'm leaning towards a tax collection scheme, rather than any real proficiency in pole-dancing.)

As for their privacy, I'm all for that. Who knows what kind of trouble they might have with family, or stalkers, or any other off-the-rails person that might take an interest. While you should be aware that this sort of job will expose you to a higher risk of crazies, (and the possibility of coming into contact with people that aren't squeaky clean as far as the law in concerned), I would defend their right to some sort of privacy. There are a lot of single mothers that fall between the cracks as far as legitimate government assistance is concerned. They may be desperate enough to do this to keep their kids fed, and housed, in a decent neighborhood. Putting mom's name out there to satisfy someone's cheap thrill isn't worth it.

Last edited:

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
Here's the actual code info for Tacoma: http://cms.cityoftacoma.org/taxlicense/regulatorylicense/6b.30 info.pdf

It seems to me as if the registration and background check info might be an effort to weed out the criminal element in adult entertainment.

When I was a massage therapist in Seattle in the mid-80s, there was a statute requiring anyone who wanted to operate an office for massage treatments to get a 'Massage Parlor' license. When I went to the city offices to get the form and pay for the license, they couldn't find the form (this was before computers were available everywhere to do stuff like this). In fact, they told me, I was the first person in the memory of anyone working there to have ever applied for a massage parlor license.

I also had to give the city of Bellevue my fingerprints to practice there. At the time, no other health care workers had to give fingerprints in order to work. I don't know if that's changed. That clearly was an effort to track possible criminals, since massage has not always been a squeaky clean profession in some places.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
I would guess that's the reason, too. To try to deter criminal elements that might want to get into the adult entertainment business there.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
That clearly was an effort to track possible criminals, since massage has not always been a squeaky clean profession in some places.

You mean all those shady neon-lit walkups with names like "Osaka Spa Massage Parlor" might not be entirely legitimate establishments administering therapeutic shiatsu?

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if clowns, comedians and musicians are required to have an "entertainer's license?" What about writers, for that matter? They're entertainers. How many clowns, comedians, musicians and writers are subject to random search and photography of their tattoos?

What possible legitimate reason could there be for maintaining a database of strippers?
He's opening a new club and wants to hire the best in the business?

I wonder if they have to pass a licensing exam? Where do I go to apply for a job as a stripper examiner? Is the exam pass-fail, or are there grades? What separates a Grade-A stripper from a Grade-B stripper? Or are the rankings more beef-like; Prime vs. Choice?
Perhaps they watch them while also watching the movie "10" starring Bo Derek.
Is the license is another tool for the county to collect more money, or are there requirements to obtain it?
Surely there are SOME requirements, otherwise there's no plausible deniability!
I would guess that's the reason, too. To try to deter criminal elements that might want to get into the adult entertainment business there.
I am shocked to hear that there might be criminal elements in the adult entertainment business! #goldclub

Dommo

On Mac's double secret probation.
Registered
Reaction score
Here's the actual code info for Tacoma: http://cms.cityoftacoma.org/taxlicense/regulatorylicense/6b.30 info.pdf

It seems to me as if the registration and background check info might be an effort to weed out the criminal element in adult entertainment.

When I was a massage therapist in Seattle in the mid-80s, there was a statute requiring anyone who wanted to operate an office for massage treatments to get a 'Massage Parlor' license. When I went to the city offices to get the form and pay for the license, they couldn't find the form (this was before computers were available everywhere to do stuff like this). In fact, they told me, I was the first person in the memory of anyone working there to have ever applied for a massage parlor license.

I also had to give the city of Bellevue my fingerprints to practice there. At the time, no other health care workers had to give fingerprints in order to work. I don't know if that's changed. That clearly was an effort to track possible criminals, since massage has not always been a squeaky clean profession in some places.

I imagine that's the purpose of the licenses. I know in certain places I've been strip clubs and massage parlors have basically been fronts for brothels and human smuggling. I can't really see someone with a license doing those acts since it makes it allows law enforcement to much more easily keep an eye on things.

I am kind of surprised that they'd make everything public in this case. The nature of the businesses isn't exactly the type that you'd want just any random person to be able to get personal information. There's a reason why strippers often have stage names.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Obviously we should "let the market handle it".

caw
Very insightful, bb. I couldn't agree more. This is one place where the unintended consequences of regulation pose a real threat to women engaged in lawful employment. A free market would let them keep their privacy and appear under whatever stage name they chose. There would be nobody with shiny badges demanding their "real" names and no FOIA forcing that list to be released to any stalker or anti-sex nutjob who wanted it.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
A free market run by guys with names like Tony Soprano will surely be much safer.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
A free market run by guys with names like Tony Soprano will surely be much safer.
Free markets don't preclude the necessity of a legal system to enforce prohibitions against the initiation of force, fraud, and the resolution of contractual disputes. AAMOF, markets where the initiation of force, fraud, or the willful one-sided abrogation of contracts are par for the course could hardly be called free, given the "might makes right" environment that would produce. Some form of protection of basic rights is necessary for free markets to exist; whether those protections are provided by government monopoly or agencies offering their services to members of society through contract might be an interesting topic for discussion.

OTOH, if the initiation of force, fraud, and one-sided abrogation of contracts is reserved for the enforcing agency, I guess we could call them "regulated markets." But by that point, the difference between Tony Soprano, King George or whoever else might hold that monopoly of power is simply a matter of whose side you're on.

If Tony or George are your buddy, you might even call that government.

Last edited:

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
So, are clowns, musicians, etc made to get entertainment licenses? I mean I'd guess with like clowns and magaicians and anyone who might get hired out to a b'nei mitzvah the licensing requirement might be "to protect the children" (i.e. a registered sex offender would not be able to get one). But, you know, strippers on the job tend to not have close contact with children.

Karen Junker

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
I didn't see any rules about clowns, magicians, etc.

The thing about strippers (and owners, etc.) is that there is no test involved, except filling out the license forms, given them your money and your fingerprints, and passing the background check.

The massage license now requires that you pass a course -- because some of the owners of the schools got together and lobbied for that. When I got licensed, the classes were about 30 hours, taught over the course of a month. Now, they're almost 8 months, full time and cost thousands of dollars.

I think it's no coincidence that certain people in an industry can use health and safety as justification for getting the government to require regulation that will drive people to their business.

Guess what? Even shady people can go to school, get a license and pass a background check.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Well, ID on file with a picture would be nice, because of the human trafficking angle. Checking back in often is also probably a good idea.

I don't think the information should be public, but I do think that the government needs to make an effort to fight slavery. Regulation and inspections of businesses known to be fronts for it are one of the most obvious ways to do that. They need to do it more with agriculture and manufacturing workers, too, imho (in the US).

It has to be well thought out, though. If it's just bureaucratic BS, that just adds problems, I think.

Karen Junker

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
What I think is even more of a problem is when women use drugs/alcohol to avoid feeling the feelings involved with sex work -- and they get those substances from their employer/pimp. Most of the time they still have to pay for them or work them off. But if anyone tried to make rules/laws about that, they'd probably just start with drug-testing the workers -- in the same way that prostitutes are made the criminals and not much is done about their customers or pimps.