What's worse than being a drug user? Being an atheist drug user...

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
Nope.

Upthread, I mentioned that I had been clean for 18 years before I worked the steps. It was totally my choice to do it. I know people who had been clean for over 25 years and still not worked the steps, at the time that I did.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
No, you aren't forced to do 12 things. The steps are guidelines. Not requirements. You could literally walk in and say nothing. Do nothing. Follow no steps. But maybe you like the support? Maybe you like being around people who understand what it's like to be an addict.

I feel like this has been implied numerous times. The bottom line is: if it doesn't work for you, do not employ it. If someone refuses to try and understand it, then simply say as much and we can all move on.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
"It is SUGGESTED that you take the 12 steps in the same way that if you jump out of an airplane wearing a parachute it is SUGGESTED that you pull the ripcord."

AA meetings AND the literature are full of how this is an "incurable, progressive and deadly disease" and how AA offers a solution, and you're free to take it or to die a miserable, horrible, drunken death - or worse, become a wet brain.

"There are people dying in cancer wards EVERYWHERE where they wish they had disease like THIS one, where they could spend an hour drinking coffee and talking with friends, and then get to go home."

http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-bait-switch.html

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
You hear all kinds of stuff -- and no one is holding a gun to your head.

I'm sorry if you had a bad experience. Sincerely sorry. I have also got some pretty horrific stories -- but to me, it's like anything else -- you can take what you can use and leave the rest, or you can avoid it all together.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Geesh, this thread is just.... stressful. I don't even know what the point is anymore.