Canadian soldier shot at war memorial in Ottawa and shots fired in Parliament Hill

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Shots also reported near Chateau Laurier. But shooter is reported dead.

Last edited:

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Three suspects now.

One shot dead.

One running away on foot.

One fleeing on motorcycle.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
I remember reading yesterday that Canada had raised it's terror threat level - wonder if this is a coincidence?

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Nope. Connected most likely. Connected as much with the two soldiers run over in Montreal two days ago.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
A sad day for Canada.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Some good news: the soldier shot at the war memorial will make it.

Parliament staffer has been wounded.

Actually two: a guard and a groundskeeper.

Last edited:

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
:( I saw that he'd died on some less than reliable feeds a while back and was hoping it wasn't true.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
So what is known:

Shooting at the War Memorial. Soldier fatally wounded.

Gunman runs to Parliament Hill through the front entrance of the Centre Block. Front entrance is not main entrance, so little physical barrier for officers on guard at those doors to prevent the gunman storming.

Gunman is shot inside the Centre Block, near the Library, by the Seargant-in-Arms Vickers. (Which I must admit, it is a humourous image because he is most often known for walking around with a giant mace and a sword in the House of Commons.)

Shooting at Rideau Centre is rumoured but later confirmed not to have taken place. Initial reports of there being a second or third shooter have been investigated but now there are doubts whether there are any such shooters.

Faye-M

Registered
Reaction score
I've been glued to the TV all day. So sad and infuriating.

*is Canadian*

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Apparently cell phone service is down for a lot of people too. At least according to friends of mine posting on FB from there. Rolling blackouts as well.

Last edited:

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
This is The Big Thing on the news today. The press conference this afternoon was carried live by local news radio, at least until they started talking in French.
Apparently cell phone service is down for a lot of people too. At least according to friends of mine posting on FB from there. Rolling blackouts as well.
I have to wonder if that's some unrelated crisis, something unintentional but related (like the overloaded phone system as happened on 9/11), or even something intentional such as an attempt to cut off terrorists' communications to help prevent more attacks.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
RIP, Cpl. Cirillo :( He seems like he was so nice, too.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
I'm appalled by how the media here are hyping the 'terrorist' angle when everything points to this being a random nutjob/loser taking his frustrations out on complete strangers. Then again, I can't stand any form of politicising when families are now grieving (unless it's at the scale of the 9-11 attacks or something). Apparently he was a single dad, which makes this all the sadder.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Xelebes and other Canadian members, my sympathies.

A questioning observation: my impression is that the Canadian press isn't quite as obsessed with the shooter as the American would be, but I freely admit that could be filtered by the internationality of the event. But what I'm seeing down here hasn't talked nearly as much about the shooter as I would have heard had this happened in the US. By now, we'd know where he was from, what high school he went to, and everything about the weapon, too. Is that happening domestically and it's not getting out, or what? Just curious, more than anything else.