The Oscar Pistorius trial.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Just because he's eligible for parole in such a short time doesn't mean he'll get it... right?

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just because he's eligible for parole in such a short time doesn't mean he'll get it... right?

Right. There are a number of conditions attached to obtaining parole and his application could be denied.

Our prison system (not quite as bad as it is reputed to be) has brought in new aspects to the granting of parole and is now, I think, very close to the system used in the U.S. For example, this is relatively new...

In another significant departure from past practices and in a deliberate attempt to empower complainants and victims of crime, the complainants or relatives of the complainants of certain specific serious crimes now may make representations to the Board and they may even be allowed to attend sessions of the Board.
http://www.dcs.gov.za/Services/CorrectionalSupervisionandParoleBoards.aspx

The State could, of course, oppose parole as could the Steenkamp family.

In an interesting new turn of events. It's being discussed here that the State, unhappy about the leniency of the sentence, may launch an appeal. We'll know more in a week or two.

Last edited:

GailD

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And on a final note.

This entire trial has been both interesting and educational for me. What's made watching it, live on television, even more worthwhile is being able to chat to you about what was happening.

Thank you all for sharing your views and opinions here. It's been great to see how people around the world have perceived Pistorius, the trial and our justice system in general. I think you're awesome. :D

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Gail, you have been so helpful and no matter how well justice was or wasn't served, this was very educational.

Thanks for your knowledge and your patience to explain it!

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gail, you have been so helpful and no matter how well justice was or wasn't served, this was very educational.

Thanks for your knowledge and your patience to explain it!

Absolutely. It was great having someone there who could explain it all to us.

MM

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Gail. I've looked forward to your explanations during the trial, as well as everyone's viewpoints.:Hail: You rock!

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I read there might be a round 2. Some legal experts think the judge misinterpreted the law.

GailD

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Yes, I read there might be a round 2. Some legal experts think the judge misinterpreted the law.

So, just when we thought it was all over.

There were rumors that the state would appeal the sentence, but that they are going appeal against the verdict, is interesting.

The appeals process, however, is quite long and won't be made public until the Supreme Court of Appeals makes a ruling. This could take up to a year or more, though some cases can be fast-tracked. Mmm. Pistorius's sister could be right when she said, "This will never go away."

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
So is there no double jeopardy in S. Africa?

GailD

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So is there no double jeopardy in S. Africa?

No, not in the way I understand it's applied in the U.S. (Once a jury has found you not guilty, that's it.) Here, either side may appeal a verdict. We follow, more or less, Roman Dutch law. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_South_Africa

Once the Court of Appeals has made a ruling, however, that's usually it - unless someone takes it further, to the Constitutional Court but that's very unlikely in this case.

Interesting point though, kaitie. Thanks for raising it. :)

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
So, murderer after all?

Gail, in South Africa the prosecution can appeal? Will this be a carousel of appeals or is it one-and-done?

Oscar Pistorius has been found guilty of the murder of Reeva Steenkamp after South Africa's Supreme Court of Appeal overturned the previous conviction of culpable homicide.

State prosecutors appealed the verdict of culpable homicide, seeking a conviction on more severe charges.

The original court judgment had been "fundamentally flawed," Leach said.

Pistorius shot girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp, a model, four times through a locked toilet door on Valentine's Day 2013, saying he mistook her for an intruder.

His jail term hasn't been decided, but he faces up to 15 years in prison.

Milenio

Registered
Reaction score
My faith in our judicial system has been somewhat restored. Now we wait for the sentencing, which I hope is going to follow suit.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I'm listening to the appeal judge's ruling and am amazed at the quote from Masipa that she accepted Oscar's distraught behavior at the scene (as reported by his doctor friend) as evidence that he didn't know (and couldn't have known) that it was Reeva in the toilet cubicle.

Oscar's begging God to save her, and railing about how sorry he was, is only evidence that he was very upset. It didn't bolster or undermine any narrative presented. If it had somehow been asserted that he'd been coldly stoic at the scene, then testimony to his praying and crying might have been important, but that the judge in the first trial found his in-the-moment-horror in any way compelling as a matter of verifying his story is weird to me. His upset is neutral in the truth of his defense narrative.

ETA - I should note that the above observation does not seem to have played into this judge's ruling. I just found it interesting. The appeal judge did find that the original court's satisfaction that Oscar didn't know it was Reeva doesn't get him out of the soup for murdering an indeterminate someone in the toilet cubicle. That seems to be the first sticking point of his ruling.

ETA2 - Finished the judge's commentary. That was most enjoyable. He didn't believe Oscar at all, but he was careful to support the original judge's professional diligence under the bizarre circus atmosphere of the first trial. The points of law that hooked in this new verdict were subtle, but well-diagrammed in this appeal. South African jurisprudence is, at least in this example, fascinating and admirably thorough.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The murderer is FINALLY being sentenced.

And boo fucking hoo, the insufferable twatwaffle is a "broken" man suffering from depression. Hmm, maybe he shouldn't have killed Reeva.

Ironic isn't how men who commit unspeakable acts of violence against women make themselves out to be the wounded party.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The sentence will be given on July 6. Pistorius was deemed unable to testify at the sentencing by a psychologist, but apparently had no issues when it came to giving a television interview. According to the murderer, Reeva, wouldn't want him to rot in prison. I'll give him credit, he is staying an insufferable fucking twatwaffle throughout this entire trial.

link

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
He's repulsive, and somehow pitiful. I'm sure his panic right now is boundless. And I actually believe he's very sorry for having killed Reeva. Unfortunately for him, you can't get a freebie. There can never be a provision to forgive one murder as a wake-up call for someone to get his temper under rein. Our pursuit of justice cannot calculate into its processes how sorry anyone is after the fact. There's nothing special about regret.

It's terrible, for everyone, that Oscar Pistorius was inattentive to how out of control he got when offended or angry. It's too late for tears and barfing over the seriousness of his inability to control himself. I don't take any particular joy in how terrified he must be, but I can't help but feel a grim satisfaction that such a dishonest and intelligence-insulting defense performance will not be rewarded.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pistorius has been given a six year sentence, less than half of what the prosecution asked for.

this has me shaking my head.

"Public opinion may be loud and persistent but it can play no role in the decision of this court," Masipa said. "I am of the view that a long term in prison will not serve justice."

Link 1

GailD

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Agh! All this great chat here and me stuck in a 42-hour power outage!!! With no radio or TV, I missed out on all the drama!! (The mini substation on our street malfunctioned and we, along with our neighbors, sat in the cold and dark for two days. :( )

But I'm back! And yes, it does seem like a very lenient sentence. A lot of South Africans are saying that this a typical example of white privilege, but I don't agree with that. I think the sentence is too lenient, but I understand that the state could not prove intent. That's what makes the difference. And he can get parole after serving half to three quarters of his sentence. 3 - 4 years. They will probably count last year's prison time as time served, too. Doesn't seem fair, does it?

ETA: I don't know if you saw this documentary made by ITV. It's the first time Pistorius has spoken to the media since his arrest in February 2013. It was broadcast here a couple of weeks ago. The way I see it, it's the same self-pitying claptrap he offered in court. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WQ02x8pcV4

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I won't watch the video. If that murderer was "too traumatized" to testify at his own sentencing hearing than I am uninterested in what he has to say in an interview he wasn't too traumatized to give.

I'm not surprised by the sentence. American athletes and celebrities rarely face the same legal penalties for their crimes as the rest of society, so it does not shock me when the same thing happens with athletes and celebrities in other countries.

Last edited:

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I think the sentence is too lenient, but I understand that the state could not prove intent. That's what makes the difference. And he can get parole after serving half to three quarters of his sentence. 3 - 4 years.

This is interesting. I remember back in the beginning when we were comparing the SA justice system with the US process and you told us that there is only one murder charge, not degrees of it. (Roughly, 1st degree murder here in the US is a premeditated act, 2nd degree is spontaneous, the "crime of passion". The sought murder classification is stated from the outset of the trial.) What you've said here makes me think that the "degree" of the act doesn't come into play until sentencing. Is that right? If so, that makes a lot of sense. I've been very impressed with the logic and methods of the SA judicial system.

In the US, 2nd degree murder will almost always carry a shorter sentence than 1st degree. The murder of Reeva Steenkamp, in my opinion, would be a hard sell as a premeditated act. The most believable descriptions of the incident always made it sound like Oscar just blew up, that he lost control of his temper in a late-night fight and impulsively pumped bullets into the bathroom door in fury and frustration. In all but the crucial moment, I don't think Oscar Pistorius wanted to hurt Reeva Steenkamp. Not physically, anyway. And even then, it's plausible that he was so far into the red mist of inarticulate rage that he was beyond the reach of the calculations of the consequences to Reeva. It's no excuse, but I think it puts it squarely into what we'd call 2nd degree and what the SA judicial system does in sentencing by weighing intent.

Six years seems light, but I know that 8 to 12 years is not atypical here in the US for some 2nd degree murder convictions.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
UPDATE:

An appeal in the sentence of Oscar Pistorius has been adjudicated.
A South African court has increased Olympic athlete Oscar Pistorius's jail sentence for killing his girlfriend to 13 years and five months.

Prosecutors had argued that the six-year term for murdering Reeva Steenkamp was "shockingly light".

A spokesman for Ms Steenkamp's family said the ruling "verified there was justice".

Link