The Oscar Pistorius trial.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't seem as if South Africa is talking about anything else except the Oscar Pistorius trial. That cliche 'media frenzy' comes to mind. :D Our satellite tv provider has put on a new channel devoted exclusively to trial.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...ar-Pistorius-murder-trial-as-it-happened.html

Are you watching this 'drama' unfold? What do you think about it?

One of our news people called it the "trial of the century", which made me laugh. So.. the next 86 years are going to be boring? :ROFL:

Last edited:

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I found it morbidly ironic that Micki Pistorius (famed SA criminal profiler) is related to the accused.

GailD

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I found it morbidly ironic that Micki Pistorius (famed SA criminal profiler) is related to the accused.

Ironic, indeed. I've seen her on television a few times and she seems like a very genuine person. I've got a three of her books, too.

When one sees the documentaries made of Oscar P's life, there are warning signs of trouble ahead - his temperament, repressed anger, love of guns etc., are all there. Would a criminal psychologist in the family not have noticed this?

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Depends on how involved she was in his life at all, I'd wager (or how involved his parents wanted her to be, given her own fame and profession).

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like South Africa's version of the OJ trial. People more concerned with celebrity than justice for the murder victim.

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
I feel sorry for the victim's family. They've been through hell.

GailD

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like South Africa's version of the OJ trial. People more concerned with celebrity than justice for the murder victim.

Yep. It's our 'OJ' trial, without a doubt (reasonable or otherwise). And utterly addictive watching. I'm not allowing myself to even turn the TV on during the day because I won't get any work done. So I'm watching the re-runs in the evening. :D

I feel sorry for the victim's family. They've been through hell.

So do I. There's a Discovery Channel documentary in which Reeva's mom talks about their terrible sense of loss and how she just can't understand why it happened. What a tragedy!

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
In case Gail, or anyone else in South Africa is wondering, this story is making news in the U.S., and has been since the incident happened. And comparison to the OJ Simpson incident (my God, 20 years ago now) is inevitable.

caw

GailD

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
GailD, what's the general consensus there? Will he get convicted?

In the court of public opinion here, Pistorius is as guilty as sin.

If you go on the evidence presented at the bail hearing, it certainly looked as if a conviction was inevitable. But now I'm not so sure.

Like OJ Simpson, Pistorius has a 'dream team' defense. His lawyer is brilliant and has managed, so far, to cast doubt on the veracity of every witness's testimony - at least, in my mind. Did they really hear a woman's screams, or did they hear his hysterical shrieks and think it was a woman? The timing of the cell phone calls makes it impossible for them (the witnesses) to have heard the gun shots but what they may well have heard was the cricket bat striking the meranti door. Is it possible? Yes. Is that what really happened? I just don't know but I can't wait to hear what the forensic people are going say.

:D

Lady MacBeth

Registered
Reaction score
I thought it was a bit of a stretch to suggest that his screams sounded like a woman's voice.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering how they can still say he thought he was going after an intruder when he hit her with the cricket bat? Didn't he see who he was swinging at?

GailD

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering how they can still say he thought he was going after an intruder when he hit her with the cricket bat? Didn't he see who he was swinging at?

No, he didn't hit Reeva with the cricket bat, he broke down the (meranti) toilet door with the cricket bat.

If I recall correctly, in the movie Platoon, there were some agonized screams that were so high-pitched they could have been mistaken for a woman's.

We should start a poll here: Do you think a man's screams can sound like a woman?

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
No, he didn't hit Reeva with the cricket bat, he broke down the (meranti) toilet door with the cricket bat.

If I recall correctly, in the movie Platoon, there were some agonized screams that were so high-pitched they could have been mistaken for a woman's.

We should start a poll here: Do you think a man's screams can sound like a woman?

I think in theory they could. I can imagine any hysterical person's screams could be so high-pitched it would be difficult to tell if it was a male or female doing the screaming. Still, I don't know if I buy it in this case.

GailD thanks for the information on this case. I have wanted to know, even if he is found not guilty of murder, isn't he charged with some kind of gross negligence for shooting into a door and killing someone? Will he go to jail regardless?

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com

Dear heaven...you're going to make me introduce a Simpsons reference in a thread about a murder trial.

We're getting quite a bit of coverage of the trial here in Australia, but I have only been picking up bits and pieces from ABC radio news. The snippets I've heard make me think that he's guilty, but obviously that's based on a tiny subset of evidence.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
In the court of public opinion here, Pistorius is as guilty as sin.

If you go on the evidence presented at the bail hearing, it certainly looked as if a conviction was inevitable. But now I'm not so sure.

Like OJ Simpson, Pistorius has a 'dream team' defense. His lawyer is brilliant and has managed, so far, to cast doubt on the veracity of every witness's testimony - at least, in my mind. Did they really hear a woman's screams, or did they hear his hysterical shrieks and think it was a woman? The timing of the cell phone calls makes it impossible for them (the witnesses) to have heard the gun shots but what they may well have heard was the cricket bat striking the meranti door. Is it possible? Yes. Is that what really happened? I just don't know but I can't wait to hear what the forensic people are going say.

:D

There's a Jose Chung's From Outer Space joke lurking too - anyone who gets that ref without looking it up is my pal.

Sounds aside, I don't see how his story holds up. There's no logic to it at all (if you're sleeping with someone you're used to sleeping with, in a room with an adjacent bathroom, a noise from said bathroom doesn't indicate 'intruder' so much as 'other person went to the bathroom,' considering he claims he didn't so much as glance over to see if she was in the bed); it's filled with contradictions and there's basic science, last I heard, that shows him a liar (the angle of the shots vs. when he said he put his legs on, which was important to his basic claim, etc.).

Of course, OJ's story didn't hold up to a five-year-old's scrutiny either and look what happened there, though that was the doing of a jury.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Oh, I thought I had heard he did hit with with the bat after shooting her.

I think if a man is seriously wounded or terrified he can shriek and sound like a woman. A man screaming in anger or grief, not so much.

I also give a great deal of weight to the testimony of the ex-girlfriend who apparently he had no problem screaming at. She'd know what he sounded like.

Lady MacBeth

Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't make sense that he didn't wake his girlfriend before investigating the supposed intruder. He went to the bed to get his gun. Would he not notice that she was gone?

GailD

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think in theory they could. I can imagine any hysterical person's screams could be so high-pitched it would be difficult to tell if it was a male or female doing the screaming. Still, I don't know if I buy it in this case.

GailD thanks for the information on this case. I have wanted to know, even if he is found not guilty of murder, isn't he charged with some kind of gross negligence for shooting into a door and killing someone? Will he go to jail regardless?

If Pistorius is found not guilty of murder, it will mean that his 'self defense' (against imagined intruders) theory has succeeded and he will get off - no jail time. He might get nailed on the negligent/reckless use of a firearm, but the evidence I've heard so far is, imo, so close to hearsay that I doubt the judge will do more than give him a fine for that. :(

Dear heaven...you're going to make me introduce a Simpsons reference in a thread about a murder trial.
eeeeeeeeeeeeee! :roll:

There's a Jose Chung's From Outer Space joke lurking too - anyone who gets that ref without looking it up is my pal.

Sounds aside, I don't see how his story holds up. There's no logic to it at all (if you're sleeping with someone you're used to sleeping with, in a room with an adjacent bathroom, a noise from said bathroom doesn't indicate 'intruder' so much as 'other person went to the bathroom,' considering he claims he didn't so much as glance over to see if she was in the bed); it's filled with contradictions and there's basic science, last I heard, that shows him a liar (the angle of the shots vs. when he said he put his legs on, which was important to his basic claim, etc.).

Of course, OJ's story didn't hold up to a five-year-old's scrutiny either and look what happened there, though that was the doing of a jury.

You're right. There doesn't appear to be any logic to it. But then again, I don't think we're dealing with a very 'logical' person here.

Consider this: Oscar Pistorius rose from relative obscurity to become an overnight sensation in the sporting world. Due to a congenital deformity, his lower legs were amputated when he was a small child. One has to wonder what the psychological effects of that might have been. Maybe he was bullied at school? Who knows? But documentaries in which close friends were interviewed show a man with a penchant for firearms. He loves guns. He loves firing guns, shooting at things. Then, along comes all this fame, people revere him, women are throwing themselves at him, the world is at his feet blades and he feels invincible. He gets away with pushing people around and dishing out verbal abuse with no consequence. Other people cover up for him. He can do anything and get away with it.

Imho, this man has probably been wanting to fire a gun at somebody for a long time. If he thought there were intruders, his first thought may have been, 'At last, I get to shooting someone'. So, no checking up on girlfriend's whereabouts. No calling out to ascertain if there really was an intruder. No grabbing the phone and calling security. Just get that gun out and shoot.

Logical? To you or I? Hell no. But to Pistorius, yeah.

PS. The X-Files were easier to figure out. :D

Oh, I thought I had heard he did hit with with the bat after shooting her.

I think if a man is seriously wounded or terrified he can shriek and sound like a woman. A man screaming in anger or grief, not so much.

I also give a great deal of weight to the testimony of the ex-girlfriend who apparently he had no problem screaming at. She'd know what he sounded like.

That's correct. I listened to her testimony and she said he screamed at her in anger. What I'm wondering though, is does a scream of anger sound exactly the same as a scream of terror or horror? I don't think so.

It doesn't make sense that he didn't wake his girlfriend before investigating the supposed intruder. He went to the bed to get his gun. Would he not notice that she was gone?

I agree. It doesn't make sense not to look around and see where your partner is before you go rushing off to shoot someone. But as I said to Cornflake, I don't think this man has been operating on what you and I would consider logic - or what passes for consensus logic, anyway. :D