Scottish insults

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I have a passing familiarity with English and Irish colloaquialisms, some of which I use probably too often for the comfort of my American colleagues.

However one of my characters is Scottish, an area I'm not as familiar with. I have, of course, looked up lists of Scottish slang online, but never having spent any time with a geniune Scotsman, I don't know which of those are too old-fashioned, or simply wrong.

The character is from a middle class Catholic family from the Edinburgh area, and in his mid 30s.

The specific terms I'm looking for at this time are: a term for crazy, and a colloquial equivelent of a Brit calling someone a "wanker" --in the sense that he's a jerk, not actually in reference to masturbating.

Any input would be appreciated.

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
Scottish is not entirely one language, in that there are local variations in what might be considered insulting (in the same way that insults in England vary hugely by region).

That said, one term equivalent to wanker that my Edinburgh friend is fond of using is bawbag.

Numpty would be a loveable idiot. If you want unlovable crazy try nutjob.

(While I'm English, I lived in Scotland for nearly 10 years so I have some familiarity with the language).

Last edited:

Steve Collins

Registered
Reaction score
Having watched numerous episodes of 'Taggert' He used to call everybody a "Dinderhid" which I guess translated into English is a "Dunderhead"

snafu1056

Registered
Reaction score
I think they still use "cadger" for a bum, right?

Matchu

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.drysailorboy.wordpress.com
I always liked 'he's got a big schwally...' as in a grand capacity for alcohol....'line them up barman.'

Not such an insult I suppose. Also the second Scottish person I met had never heard of this expression...so, so. I use it on my wife, she reels every time eggc...

Otherwise there is 'bampot' and oh I dunno Scots authors always bang on about their special dialect, I'd leave them to it.

Nothing beats 'Oor Willie.' God bless Scotland, <sniff>.

D. Cameron, esq

Los Pollos Hermanos

Craving the next chocolate hit...
Registered
Reaction score
Until a year ago I used to work with a bloke originally from Edinburgh, who was in his late 30s/early 40s. He generally didn't come out with too many Scottishisms (a shame, as I also regularly declared my undying love for his accent!) as most Sassenachs at work would just look at him and think ?????

For idiot he'd sometimes say bampot or heid the bawl (head the ball) or tube for stupid. Numpty has been rife in northern England for a fair few years now so he was safe with that one. He'd also refer to a contemptible person as a wee jobby (jobby = poo).

Mind you, I know he went to university in Glasgow, and their slang is the best ever (I wanted to go to university there, but didn't revise for my A levels so ended up at Manchester). Some of his occasional tartan lingo (absolutely brilliant words/phrases, but not what you're after) might therefore have been from the other end of the M8.

Last edited:

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
Fanny
Fannyballs
Fud
Bawbag
eejit
bampot (usuay said as fucking bam)
dead banger
bang tidy slut

You can also watch a few episodes of Chewing the Fat.

Last edited:

Koschei

eternally screaming
Registered
Reaction score
oceansoul beat me to it.

Another suggestion for crazy, though, would be "mental." Or "Off your/their nut."

Foolonthehill

Registered
Reaction score
I'm half Scottish. I would stick with wanker, totally- Crazy would be "nutter" or if you want to make it extreme "off his or her heed"

Los Pollos Hermanos

Registered
Reaction score
I had to google the spelling, but glaikit means stupid/idiot. I remember that one from watching Rab C Nesbitt, so it might be a Glaswegian-ism instead.

My perfect man is Nestor Carbonell with Rab C Nesbitt's accent, btw. :D

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
Two I was told by someone who lived near Edinburgh was

Stitch that Jimmie/pal (Can yer mither sew? <headbutt> Well stitch that Jimmie)

Or "See you pal" (As in see you later/outside to settle this with fists.)

Not for wanker but for general threats - might come in useful somewhere else.

And in Edinburgh women tend to be address as "pet" or "hen" by strangers - so bus drivers, taxi drivers etc.

cat_named_easter

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I practically AM your main character. I'm 30, come from middle-class family and used to live in Edinburgh, now just an hour away.
For crazy I'd just use "mental" or "total nutter" or "nutjob".
For wanker you could just use that word, people use it in Scotland as well as England. Or if you want something particularly Scottish you could use "fanny" or "fud" as suggested above. Hope this helps!

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
Fanny
Fannyballs
Fud
Bawbag
eejit
bampot (usuay said as fucking bam)
dead banger
bang tidy slut

You can also watch a few episodes of Chewing the Fat.

All of the above plus

Heidthebaw
numptie

They might also say 'Yer heids fu' o' mince.'

for younger kids, they might call somebody a jobbie or a shite

Interrobang

Registered
Reaction score
I'd vote for 'bampot'.

The best Scottish insult I ever heard was 'He'd eat the poultice off a scabby boy's head'.

Los Pollos Hermanos

Registered
Reaction score
Any insult sounds good in a Scottish (preferably Glaswegian) accent.

Swoon...

Incidentally, as a Sassanach I've never encountered anything other than a friendly welcome north of the border. (North) Wales was a whole different matter, and on more than one occasion. Saying that, my cousins are from South Wales and say they get the same treatment in the north.

Last edited:

Craig McNeil

Sitting in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CraigMcNeil.com
Pop onto YouTube and have a look for Chewing the Fat, Burnistoun and Still Game. All are comedy shows but there are plenty of insults in them to keep you ticking over.

While it's a bit more lower class than middle class, have a skim through Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh for a good idea of the vernacular. 'Cunt' can be used a lot (both as an insult and as a term of affection) but I understand that despite HBOs best efforts, that's a step too far for American audiences.

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Read Trainspotting or Flith by Irvine Welsh. Basically every phrase uttered is an insult.