Swedish Translation

DanWendelstein

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys.

I need this sentence translated into Swedish (as a newspaper headline):

"New resources/natural reserves found in Northern Canada."

And can this sentence contain the word "fick" or a derivative thereof? (It's for the sake of a pun)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Sofie

Registered
Reaction score
"Nya resurser/naturtillgångar funna i norra Kanada" or "Nya resurser/naturtillgångar hittade i norra Kanada".

I really can't think of any way of squeezing "fick" into the sentence as written. You'd have to write a completely different sentence, and even then I can't think of anything that wouldn't sound odd and contrived. If your natural resource is oil, gas or anything else that could conceivably be found in a pocket, I suppose you could try something like: "Ny oljeficka funnen i norra Kanada" ("New pocket of oil found in Northern Canada").

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Sofie, I want a man to propose in Swedish. I have only two words in this one of my three mother-tongues, and neither will work.

Got this off google: Gifta sig med mig?

Is this accurate? I've got this sense it should be "dig" instead of "sig" but I know nothing.

Tusen tack!

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
"Nya resurser/naturtillgångar funna i norra Kanada" or "Nya resurser/naturtillgångar hittade i norra Kanada".

I really can't think of any way of squeezing "fick" into the sentence as written. You'd have to write a completely different sentence, and even then I can't think of anything that wouldn't sound odd and contrived. If your natural resource is oil, gas or anything else that could conceivably be found in a pocket, I suppose you could try something like: "Ny oljeficka funnen i norra Kanada" ("New pocket of oil found in Northern Canada").

Its funny, but with English and having done a bit of German, I can almost understand Swedish in a parlais franglais sort of way - they kind of manage to look alike - providing you have the English to compare them to. :) Nice to try it on something other than the copyright statements at the beginning/end of films. :D
Suspect my mental pronunciation is absolutely awful.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I watch a lot of Nordic Noir and it's funny how often you can pick words that are almost English.

But then, Old English very nearly is Norse so it's not that surprising.

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
Sofie, I want a man to propose in Swedish. I have only two words in this one of my three mother-tongues, and neither will work.

Got this off google: Gifta sig med mig?

Is this accurate? I've got this sense it should be "dig" instead of "sig" but I know nothing.

Tusen tack!

"Vill du gifta dig med mig?" is the correct way to ask the question "Will you marry me?" in Swedish. It's the regular way to phrase a proposal. What you wrote basically means "To marry me?"

Last edited:

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score

The pun might lay with the word "vik." You just have to nail the phonetic part so that the pun becomes clear. I don't know how you would do that in Swedish.

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
The pun might lay with the word "vik." You just have to nail the phonetic part so that the pun becomes clear. I don't know how you would do that in Swedish.

Though vik and fick don't sound at all the same in Swedish. V is never pronounced as f and the i in vik is long whereas in fick it's short. So vik is pronounced "veak" (like you 'weak' only with a 'v') while "fick" is pronounced as you would do it in English (like 'fit' only with a k). So unless you have a non-Swedish speaker mispronounce the sentence, it wouldn't make sense.

If you could write the sentence about how someone got something, it would work since 'fick' is the past of 'få', 'to get' or 'to recieve'.

I don't know how you want the pun to play out, but there are several Swedish words that have funny/unintentional English meanings if that's what you are going for.