Seeking Horse/Rider Info

TwoTrees

Registered
Reaction score
Is it feasible to transport a person feigning unconsciousness on horseback? The person, who has been kidnapped, is slumped against the horse’s neck/shoulder with their wrists tied together around the horse’s neck and a rope passing under the horse’s belly to secure their feet. There is no saddle and the horse is being led behind another horse. This situation might last for several hours. I understand that it would be very uncomfortable for the character. Also, perhaps also problematic for the horse.

This is a serious question and I’m interested in whether it’s plausible and also any other considerations I should be aware of. Knowledgeable horse folk, can you help me explore the issues realistically?

Thanks!

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
IMO, a limp body would eventually be joggled off balance and (unless the person stopped faking it) would end up hanging sideways/upside down alongside the horse's shoulder/belly.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
I'd think you'd want to lay them crossways across the horse's back, head on one side and feet on the other, with hands joined to feet by a rope. The problem you'd face with anyone who's even slightly obese is positional asphyxia, where their own weight suffocates them.

ETA: Terrain might be an issue, too. Are we talking backwoods, trail-breaking kind of stuff, or leading the horse along an established trail or road?

Last edited:

thedark

Weaving through the night.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd think you'd want to lay them crossways across the horse's back, head on one side and feet on the other, with hands joined to feet by a rope. The problem you'd face with anyone who's even slightly obese is positional asphyxia, where their own weight suffocates them.

I concur. Not that I'm a horse person, but I've explored this same problem for past storylines, and if they truly must be on the horse solo, this is the way to go. It's not comfy, and they'll get bruised as all hell, but it'll work.

Of course, there's always the "heavily loaded pack horse" approach, but you're shooting for no saddle, and just rope.

I really feel for your kidnap victim here. Wince.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Crhbob has the right position. You load the limp person from the near (left) side, with the head going over the horse's back. Weight has to be balanced so that it's even on both sides. You then tie feet and hands together, tight enough to secure the load. Captives could be transported for miles this way, at various gaits.

To describe it as uncomfortable is being optimistic. Your victim is going to be in pain, lots and lots of pain. Circulation loss in the limbs, bruising, face being battered, asphyxia, muscle cramps, you name it and it can probably happen.

Your victim will probably not fake unconsciousness for long. Your victim will probably actually be unconscious.

The horse won't be happy, but will be able to tolerate it.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, draping the body over the horse with head/arms on one side and legs on the other is more what I would expect. Especially because, in the position described in the OP, if the person woke up they could theoretically control the horse, so only very stupid kidnappers would risk it; in cmbob/jclarkdawe's position, the person is helpless whether awake or not.

As noted above, the person isn't likely to fake it for long. Agree to ride, or be pummelled into oblivion -- few people will choose the latter.

Editing to add: if the kidnappers truly believe the victim is unconsious, and if the kidnappers want to keep the victim alive and in fairly decent condition, one of the kidnappers will ride with and support the victim's purportedly unconscious body.

Last edited:

Aerial

There is no spoon.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm no history expert but I would think most of the time, the injured/unconscious person would be dragged on a litter unless terrain simply won't allow it.

Aerial

TwoTrees

Registered
Reaction score
Wow - Great quick responses and you good folks have told me exactly what I needed to know. I see some serious re-writing in my future! LOL

hillcountryannie

Son, you ain't kiddin'.
Registered
Reaction score
To get a sense of this read The Son by Philipp Meyer. The first few chapters from Eli McCullough's perspective would be helpful. Meyer really did his research on this novel and the details are incredible.

Eli is captured by Comanches as a child and tied to a horse and taken from the Texas Hill Country all the way up to the Llano Estacado. He talks about the awful sores and blisters all over his body.

The other thing that Eli brings up is that the Comanches changed mounts often, since the horses were ridden hard.

Lironah

Space Cadet
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joanalbright.net
Also, perhaps also problematic for the horse.

Specifically, the burden would be 'dead weight' for the horse. A live rider with properly positioned stirrups can react to the horse's movement, reducing the strain on the mount. Unless the horse is used to being used as a pack animal (not all of them are) the shifting burden can actually cause it emotional distress as well as making it tired faster. Think of wearing a heavy backpack with all the straps loose versus one properly adjusted.