Ok. Um... wow.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I didn't expect this.

Using strikingly open language, a new Vatican report says the church should welcome and appreciate gays, and offers a solution for divorced and remarried Catholics who want to receive Communion.

At a press conference on Monday to present the report, Cardinal Louis Antonio Tagle of the Philippines said Catholic clergy meeting here have largely focused on the impact of poverty, war and immigration on families.

But the newly proposed language on gays and civil marriages represents a “pastoral earthquake,” said one veteran Vatican journalist.

“Regarding homosexuals, it went so far as to pose the question whether the church could accept and value their sexual orientation without compromising Catholic doctrine,” said John Thavis, a former Rome bureau chief for Catholic News Service.

The Rev. James Martin, an author and Jesuit priest, called the report's language on gays and lesbians "revolutionary."

I know it doesn't go as far as most of us would like, but I never thought I'd ever see something as far as this.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
And here's something I never thought I'd say --

I think the current Pope is pretty awesome, and an amazing breath of fresh air in the Catholic Church (which sorely needed it, IMO).

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
"come to the church and even eat the cracker, but don't try to get married here."

also love how the big, bold statements actually take the form of questions:

“Homosexuals have gifts and qualities to offer to the Christian community. Are we capable of welcoming these people, guaranteeing to them a fraternal space in our communities? Often they wish to encounter a church that offers them a welcoming home. Are our communities capable of providing that, accepting and valuing their sexual orientation, without compromising Catholic doctrine on the family and matrimony?”

it's like when the news teaser asks, "is your washcloth killing you? tune in and see..."

so. tune in and see.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
2 things.

1, it seems like this pope is pushing the church in small, painful shoves to accept gay rights. I don't know if equality is his end game. I hope it is, but still.

2, and I can't stress this enough both as a lapsed catholic, a former alter boy, a christian and all of that. Let me pose this question. What in holy hell happened to Cassie's AV?

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
obviously turned inside-out.

and we'll see if your god protects you when the washcloths come.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Well, this IS the Catholic Church we're talking here. Given the history of the church, I share Vince's astonishment that they went this far.

And maybe I'm reading too much into his "who am I to judge?", but I get the feeling Pope Francis would (and I hope will) go further.

I'm severely and hopeless lapsed, but from a very Catholic family. It has entertained me to no end to hear my family members discuss Pope Francis. Half of them share my view that he's a cool dude, and the other half think he's the antichrist. I suspect there's a similar division among the bishops.

ETA -- yeah. I don't have a lot of control over my avatar. This looks like cray's work to me, but it could be any number of mods, really.

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
an alternate take on the pope's much ballyhooed "who am i to judge" quote.

http://wdtprs.com/blog/2013/09/pope-francis-comments-on-homosexuality-in-the-big-interview/

Well, perhaps. I'm choosing to be optimistic about this guy for now. For two reasons:

(1) Bitter people apparently go to hell. And as a dirty-dancing, alcohol drinking, evolution-believing, prideful-scoffing whore, I have enough problems.

(2) Pope Francis has been bucking church traditions left and right since he got in.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Damn it. No one's going to pay any attention to anything I say as long as I have this throbby, blobby, pink avatar. Is that about right?

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Damn it. No one's going to pay any attention to anything I say as long as I have this throbby, blobby, pink avatar. Is that about right?
Maybe that was the mod's intent?

Where's my prize for solving the puzzle?

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
Spotted earlier:

Wanted: Exorcist. Apply to CassandraW. Must be very talented at removing multiple gremlins through multiple layers of complexity. Rate negotiable depending on skill level.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score

I'm sorry, what was that? I was too distracted by that throbby, blobby pink thing.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Maybe that was the mod's intent?

Where's my prize for solving the puzzle?

Do I look like I have any prizes to give out? If you hadn't noticed, I don't have pockets.

Tell you what. You can have this avatar when I'm done with it.

Now. What were we talking about?

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
also love how the big, bold statements actually take the form of questions
Open-ended questions with no hard "yes/no/maybe/ask again later" answers that are going to be left to the current cardinals and bishops, anyway.

Call me a cynical old poop, but it's going to take another 25 to 30 years before the Catholic Church makes any sort of progress similar to where we are in basic civil rights. I plan on being dead by then, so I'm not going to see any seismic shift in liturgical thinking and doctrine.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Open-ended questions with no hard "yes/no/maybe/ask again later" answers that are going to be left to the current cardinals and bishops, anyway.

Call me a cynical old poop, but it's going to take another 25 to 30 years before the Catholic Church makes any sort of progress similar to where we are in basic civil rights. I plan on being dead by then, so I'm not going to see any seismic shift in liturgical thinking and doctrine.

Thank you, Ben, for ignoring my unfortunate appearance.

I think you're right that change isn't going to come overnight. But I hope it's coming sooner than in 25-30 years.

I don't plan to die, so whenever it happens, I will be around to see it.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
et des boyaux du dernier prêtre serrons le cou du dernier roi.

Yeah, I was thinking maybe that's what her avatar is, too. With an unfortunate spastic condition, looks like.

Eta: Ha! Cross-posted.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like a desperation play, what do they call it in the NFL? A 'Hail Mary' pass? :D

If they're bleeding members to the point that they're putting ads on TV asking lapsed Catholics to come back, maybe they're desperate enough to try to get the gay and divorced/remarried people back in the tent.
Because that 'no divorced/remarried' thing is also a big and old problem, although I suspect blind eyes are turned (as they are to 'good Catholic' families with only one or two children).

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
For a faith that is theoretically unchanging and led by someone infallible, even saying there are unanswered questions is pretty radical.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Men are sooooo shallow. Can't you look beyond my squishy throbby blobby avatar and see the beautiful soul beneath it?

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
There is much imagination on this site...............but I don't know. You're asking a lot, especially when it keeps morphing. Shape shifters are different.