The Dark Side Wins Again

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear that, Karen. It's easy for a celebrity's passing to be mourned in passing, as few of us every really know the people in question beyond what we see of them in print and on screen. Losing a friend is something completely different. I hope her family has a support system to help them through this. :(

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I'm sorry for your loss, Karen. This is really sad. I hope they find the person responsible.

The article mentioned that she might have had problems with depression. They don't say if there are any signs to indicate cause of death... terrible, whatever the cause.

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
I'm waiting to hear. There was her issue with mental illness mentioned - that's why her folks were so concerned. But there was also a mention of a possible disappearance due to someone with bad intentions.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Just to confirm (sorry, Karen):

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29654857

Her father, Charles Upham, confirmed her identity to the authorities.

And:

Police Commander Steve Stocker said there was presently no evidence or information "to believe there is foul play."

At the time of her disappearance, her father expressed concern that the actress was off her medication and may have been suicidal.

However, film-maker Tracy Rector - a long-time friend and spokesperson for the family, said: "The family has stated that, after seeing the body, they still do not feel that Misty Upham committed suicide."

onuilmar

(w)ride like the wind
Registered
Reaction score
Ah me, so very sad Karen.

A friend of mine experienced a loss like that last year, around Halloween. Her friend, someone she had known for 30, 40, 50 years (hard to say, they are/were both in their 70's), disappeared on Halloween. She lived alone, so it was up to her friends to alert the police. The body was found in the Potomac river several weeks later.

That too was so very sad. I had met the woman and liked her enormously.

So, I am truly sorry for you, Karen. It hurts to lose a friend.

Karen Junker

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
I don't know if there will be an autopsy -- I'll find out and let everyone know, although it will probably be in the news.

I hope the tribe will rally around her family and friends. My heart goes out to the whole community of people who knew her and worked with her.

Karen Junker

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
There is some talk of an investigation as to why the police did not try to find her. Her parents told the police that she was medically fragile, but police deny that (they even posted about her mental health issues on her Facebook page, so why wouldn't they have told the police?). There is a history of tension between the tribe and the local police -- and I hope that someone looks into why they did not act right away when her parent reported her missing and told them how imperative it was that she be found.

Her father says after viewing her body, that is does not look as if she took her own life.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Misty Upham's father says she fell to her death trying to flee police
In the statement Charles said his daughter suffered from mental illness and had been poorly treated by the local police department.

"Misty was afraid of the Auburn PD officers with good reason," he said. "In an incident prior to her disappearance, the Auburn PD came to pick up Misty on an involuntary transport to the ER. She was cuffed and placed in a police car. Some of the officers began to taunt and tease her while she was in the car. Because it was dark they couldn't see that we, her family, were outside our apartment just across the street witnessing this behavior."

"They were tapping on the window making faces at her. Misty was crying and she told them, 'You can't treat me like this. I'm a movie actress and I will use my connections to expose you.' Then another officer walked up to her asked, 'Are you a movie star? Then why don't [you] complain to George Clooney!'"

The day she disappeared police were called to her apartment because she may have been suicidal, but when the officers arrived Upham was already gone.