Two quick English to Latin translations please :)

smellycat6464

Registered
Reaction score
Hi hi,

So, in my story, there's a crime syndicate, and I would like to have their motto in Latin, because everything tends to sound more badass in Latin I suppose.

I'm deciding between two phrases:

"The price of progress"

and

"Create a problem, become the solution"

Now, the linguistic god that is google translate reports that those are "Profectus pretium," and "Inconveniens, factus solutio," but I learned the hard way in middle school Spanish to not trust translators.

Also, while my experience with Latin is limited, I know that their rules for grammar are quite different than English's, so I understand if these phrases do not have a direct equivalent.

Thanks a bajillion, and happy writing :)

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
"Create a problem, become the solution"

I like that phrase in English. The Latin translation isn't right. I believe that problemam crḗtis; explicatum fī́tis is a little better, but I'm not sure which ending creo should get. There are several alternatives.
I looked up the verbs to improve the endings, and they probably are not incorrect.

Last edited:

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
This would have to be the first time ever, I've seen an example of Google Translate getting some Latin right.

As long as you're using 'price of progress' as a subject or as some sort of motto, rather than as a direct or indirect object, progressus pretium and profectus pretium both work.

"Inconveniens, factus solutio," is hopeless though. It pretty much means, unsuitable solution was made.

Here's a possibility.
si problema creaveris - if you created a problem,
explicationem fias - you should become the solution (using the subjunctive)
or
explicationem fi - become the solution! (using the imperative)

Last edited:

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I like that phrase in English. The Latin translation isn't right. I believe that problemam crḗtis; explicatum fī́tis is a little better, but I'm not sure which ending creo should get. There are several alternatives.
I looked up the verbs to improve the endings, and they probably are no incorrect.
Problema's a bit deceptive. It looks like a first declension nominative so you'd assume the accusative is problemam.

It's actually third declension neuter so the accusative looks exactly the same as the nominative.

Cretis can be the dative and ablative plural of several nouns and perfect passive participles of a couple of verbs but creo is not one of them.

Last edited:

Nualláin

Registered
Reaction score
The semantic-range-nerd in my head would probably avoid problema in this case, although it would depend on the OP's requirements. In practice, the word usually means something like a riddle, a puzzle, or a problem in maths -- that is to say, a problem which is to be examined and solved rationally, rather than a trouble or a difficulty. I'm not sure if this Latin crime syndicate would necessarily be going around setting and answering quadratic equations for people (although that's probably a book I would read!).

Likewise with explicatio, it forms from ex + plico ('out' + 'fold'), so it properly means an unfolding or unfurling, and by extension an explanation or exposition of a problem rather than a resolution -- like English 'explicate'. But like I said above, I'm obsessed with Latin semantic range, and a staggeringly small group of your potential readers would know or care about these details. The most important thing is that the grammar is good and it sounds nice to you.

I'd need to ponder the implications of the English for a bit to come up with a good try at the Latin. If anything good bubbles up, I'll be back.

Last edited:

smellycat6464

Registered
Reaction score
I must say--I already had an inherent respect of Latin, but hearing all of these grammatical phrases and the like just deepened my admiration.

Kudos to everyone for knowing so much--reps around :)

And to clarify, this crime syndicate (The Ericans) sadly have given up their quadratic tactics of terrorism. Instead, they're planning a bit of a usurpation by, well, creating problems and then coming to the rescue ;) Hence that phrase.

Considering how there seems to be no true Latin equivalent, I can probably work this into the prose in English--as an outside observation or part of some manifesto.

They're a very vain bunch, and for plot simplification reasons, I wanted them to have a signature. They paint an Ouroboros with "Profectus Pretium" beneath it. It's also meant as a verbal signature in communications, like a way to end phone calls other than "bye," so, if I'm interpreting everyone's statements correctly, that should make Latin grammatical sense haha.

I hope that's more clear :)

Thanks!

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I'd need to ponder the implications of the English for a bit to come up with a good try at the Latin. If anything good bubbles up, I'll be back.
I agree with you about semantic ranges and the word problema I think might be medieval rather than classical Latin and yes, it does refer more to philosophical or logical problems for debate.

A better word might be impedimentum although, going back to semantic range, impedimentum can refer in the plural to baggage, or the supply train of a legion on the march.