Bragging Rights: Let us congratulate you! (Please excuse the brag.)

Diem_Allen

"Jane, get me off this crazy thing!
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, first off I am so very new here but I have to say thank you already to everyone that works an participates at the cooler. It was and is the perfect medium to keep my butt in gear. I put on my pants o' courage and queried a publisher. They want to see my manuscript! I know it's not a go yet but it's a definite step closer, and...
as my knowledge goes, I made the last paragraph my writing bio (as small as it is) and mentioned as a single line that I had a previous book published and they asked to review a copy of that as well.
I've been speechless all morning, but my oh my isn't it a wonderful silence? Thanks AW!

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
YAAY, JEN!

I want to brag, too!

Here's a photo from WHSmith in Heathrow. It's 23rd in Glasgow, so that might be across all airports? I don't know.
374996_523875014344141_175704288_n.jpg

yendor1152

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
My latest interview, with Jerry Lacy (who played the nefarious "Reverend Trask" on ABC's landmark gothic soap opera, Dark Shadows), will be seeing print in Scary Monsters magazine #90, on sale in October!

Trebor1415

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I just had my fifth article published in GunUp Magazine and I'm working on two more for the next issue. So far I've had one article per issue since the first issue in March.

I've been writing as the Michigan Firearms Examiner for three years but have been banging my head on the door writing for firearms magazines ever since I sold my first article to Concealed Carry Magazine back in 2005.

Now that I've got a streak of recent published magazine work I'm hoping I can leverage this to more assignments this year and next with other pubs.

Btw, this all started because I offered to let them reprint an article I wrote for Examiner.com on "The Guns of James Bond" for free for the first "promo" issue of GunUp. I saw they had a "Guns of James Bond" headline on the mock-up of the promo issue and guessed, correctly, that they hadn't actually written the piece yet.

The editor said they were writing everything in house as "they had no budget for the promo issue" and couldn't pay me. I offered to let her use it for free, she did, and was so pleased she promptly gave me the first assigned article for the magazine after that.

So, while I generally believe "don't give it away" sometimes it is the thing to do.

Melina

Getting better all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atozwordsmith.com

Melina

Getting better all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atozwordsmith.com
I just had my fifth article published in GunUp Magazine and I'm working on two more for the next issue. So far I've had one article per issue since the first issue in March.

I've been writing as the Michigan Firearms Examiner for three years but have been banging my head on the door writing for firearms magazines ever since I sold my first article to Concealed Carry Magazine back in 2005.

Now that I've got a streak of recent published magazine work I'm hoping I can leverage this to more assignments this year and next with other pubs.

Btw, this all started because I offered to let them reprint an article I wrote for Examiner.com on "The Guns of James Bond" for free for the first "promo" issue of GunUp. I saw they had a "Guns of James Bond" headline on the mock-up of the promo issue and guessed, correctly, that they hadn't actually written the piece yet.

The editor said they were writing everything in house as "they had no budget for the promo issue" and couldn't pay me. I offered to let her use it for free, she did, and was so pleased she promptly gave me the first assigned article for the magazine after that.

So, while I generally believe "don't give it away" sometimes it is the thing to do.

Smart move on your part--congratulations, and here's to breaking into more pubs!

yendor1152

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Wow--that must've been fun! Looking forward to it!

It was a lot of fun! I've actually been very busy lately with freelance stuff. Right now, I'm working on an article about Annette Funicello for Paper Doll Trader. That'll be ready for next Monday. I'm also in the process of doing a big article on Stephen King's Pet Sematary (the movie) for Fangoria magazine. That involves interviewing Dale Midkiff (who played the lead) and Brad Greenquist (Pascow, the ghost). I covered PS for Fangoria in 1989 and even went to the set!

Koschei

eternally screaming
Registered
Reaction score
I won my first poetry competition back in April. I know that was months ago but, in a few weeks, my poem is being released as a song and I'm really excited. I haven't even heard the finished product yet so I really can't wait.

Trebor1415

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

Just an update:

I've now had 11 articles published in GunUp. They recently offered me a contract for one article a month for a flat rate that is the highest rate they pay, based on word count, even if my articles are shorter. I've been providing them with a variety of stuff.

I just got word today that an editor at a different gun magazine accepted my first article for them and it will run in the April issue.

I've got two other assignments for two other gun magazines accepted that I have to finish. I have photos done for both and need to write the drafts.

Things are moving for me. I'm not anywhere near "making a living wage" yet, but I'm working towards that as the goal.