Not open for further replies.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
Elite: Dangerous

Please say it is so. Elite and Frontier were the games that ate my youth.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120515-Guy-Who-Made-Elite-Wants-to-Make-Elite-Dangerous
Taking inspiration from the rash of videogaming crowdfunding begun by Tim Schafer, and the recent opening of a native Kickstarter website in the UK, prominent UK developer David Braben began a campaign last night to raise money to produce a true sequel to one of the most beloved and inspirational videogames ever created. The project is called Elite: Dangerous and the drive's goal is a modest 1.25 million pounds, and in less than 24 hours Elite: Dangerous has already raised £193,850 from more than 4,000 backers.
Has there been a decent space sim in the last... um... decade or two?

Last edited:

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
The FTL effects are cool, but unrealistic!

...but man does space look fucking astounding.

Also, they go 0.125th C...is that fast enough to get relativity involved? I'll have to check with my dad.

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Wow, that is beautiful. I haven't played a space sim in a long time, and certainly not one as lovely and complex as that. I hope it does well, but it looks like it already has a loyal fan base. Damn, now I want to play, lol... :p

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
$150 is a bit too much to pay for a beta; you'd have to be a very dedicated fan to plonk down that much money upfront, even if you then get expansions for free later on.

Still, I too want to play that game now. It's been so long. I think I have Elite installed on my old Amiga in the wardrobe. If I copy my save file, it would be so awesome if I could import it.

Alas, I very, VERY, much doubt they'd allow that. :)

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Looks cool, but I started to get woozy just watching the YouTube demo.

I HATE first-person games! They look so interesting, and make me so motion-sick.

Has anyone found a solution to this? (I know it doesn't affect all that many people, but it affects ME, so... it must be important!)

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
It is seriously tempting to get into the late beta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8_SmGRGeFQ

:( Sorry it's like that for you. I would have thought this game wouldn't be classified as 'first person', but more like a racing game or a flight sim.

Yeah, I can't play racing games or flight sims, either - anything where the world on the screen tilts and moves with the controls. Seems to confuse my equilibrium. Blech.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in it right now, and it is fantastic. :D

Oculus Rift integration was thought out perfectly. You can simply look at a panel, then manipulate controls on that panel. I don't have one, but I've seen a few YouTubers using them. It's brilliant.

I actually bought a joystick. Haven't had one in fifteen years haha! :D

Mind you, all you really do is run missions from place to place, hunt bounties, maybe do some exploration (if you can find the right scanner to buy), but that's Elite for you. It really is the old game transformed with modern tech. :)

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Can't wait to get it. I did pre-order DA Inquisition. :eek:

Yes, yes, I know - never preorder... I wish I did as I say instead of as I do sometimes...

But it means my games budget (and game time) for a month after DA:3 launch is going to be spent elsewhere. Sigh. I do want Elite Dangerous though.

Also, I think I need a good stick for it. I've heard reports that mouse + keyboard control is really bad for the game.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
Keyboard/mouse isn't the worst, but a stick is far superior, no doubt about it. It's a twitch game, and the keyboard lacks precision.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
Anyone playing?

I was reading one of the newsletters from Frontier on release day before I went home and found a bit telling me that, as a backer, I could have been playing since the end of November! >.<
Anyway, haven't explored a very great deal, been confused by a few missions (Supposedly I'm to find some black boxes in an empty star system. Whaa?), but it's burning the hours away without me noticing, so there's that. :tongue

Last edited:

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
Did they fix the issue with the Detailed Surface Scanner not showing up for any ship other than the Sidewinder? That was really the only thing I was lacking before heading off into deep space, never to be seen again. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.