Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
I loved, loved, LOVED The Witcher 2, and now it's soon time for the next installment. Here's the trailer for the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr-DKyAVU34

One reason that I like it is that it does not romanticise life in the middle ages. At all. Life is cheap, and the lust to extend someone's death is widespread.

There are no hero kings or knights here. No princess to rescue. In fact, the princess might slip poison into your goblet and watch you squirm in agony as you die. Not even the 'hero' is particularly nice.

So... what do you think? Is this something you're going to buy?

Eta:
One of the devs talking about the game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDpdajTX4tE

Last edited:

Anna_Hedley

Fuelled by tea and crumpets.
Registered
Reaction score
If I can sell my organs on the black market and somehow survive long enough to both buy and enjoy the Xbox One and the game, I will definitely buy it.

I'm really intrigued by the new combat system, where you can research the nasties in order to make it easier to kill them. The graphics look amazing as well.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Well, actually, every game in the Witcher series has made researching the nasties a part of combat.

Now, me, I love me some Witcher. The Witcher 2 remains one of the most GORGEOUS games ever - even on low graphic settings. In fact, I distinctly remembering that I was playing Witcher 2, then someone booted up RAGE (which I'm fairly sure no one even remembers anymore), and RAGE was supposed to be the most gorgeous game ever made...and...it just looked like crap next to The Witcher 2.

Also, it manages to have sex scenes that seem like actual sex between two people.

Now, all we need is a game where you can play a sexually liberated women sleeping with various handsome men and I'll be set!

Anna_Hedley

Fuelled by tea and crumpets.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, actually, every game in the Witcher series has made researching the nasties a part of combat.

Sort of like CSI: Fantasyland Nasties :D I should have said a more advanced system of research than The Witcher 2.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website

CD Project Red is a rare company. It's the only company that I feel totally assured about pre-ordering from. And I will pre-order this game.

Through action, not spin, they've proven that they're good guys.

I just hope it won't crash with DA:3 :D It would be hard to motivate getting both at the same time.

Primus

Del Lago
Registered
Reaction score
I just hope it won't crash with DA:3 :D It would be hard to motivate getting both at the same time.

And it shan't. DAIII comes out November 18th I believe, while W3 is being dropped Feb/24th in 2015. I'm placing my money on Witcher being the better of the two, though I could very well end up wrong. That game just looks amazing. From what I've seen and read, CD has clearly put a lot of effort and love into that game. Can't wait.

Jenkki

Registered
Reaction score
To me the most interesting thing about the Witcher (not that it isn't a great game series) is its connection to a genuine fantasy author, Andrzej Sapkowski. I've read some of his work (in translation of course, he is Polish, as is the game company) and it's refreshing, visceral and loaded with wild Slavic mythology that completely reinvents fantasy because it's not the same old Celtic/Norse/Medieval whatever stuff we've seen before.

From everything I've heard, CD Projekt Red are one of the good guys in the industry.

Primus

Del Lago
Registered
Reaction score
From everything I've heard, CD Projekt Red are one of the good guys in the industry.

That they are. They truly care about their games and their fans. Gotta love um for that.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
I also look forward to 3. I own 2, but didn't get terribly far in it. The constant looting got tedious, especially if you didn't want to miss any herbs. You'd walk 15 feet, pulse your amulet, walk 15 feet, pulse your amulet. Tedious.

That said, I did watch a full Let's Play, and the story and gameplay are solid. Very few quibbles there.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Your research and graphics comments in the last paragraph apply to the Shadow of Mordor, too, which I think is a brilliant game, especially if you like being in control of the speed at which you play. I've read crits where folk say SofM is frustrating but I think that's down to impatience, where a player chooses the foolhardy dash for constant action over the exercising of thought and preparation before battle. The former will cause death far more times than it results in victory.

If I can sell my organs on the black market and somehow survive long enough to both buy and enjoy the Xbox One and the game, I will definitely buy it.

I'm really intrigued by the new combat system, where you can research the nasties in order to make it easier to kill them. The graphics look amazing as well.

Cwright

Mmm... Mexican Food
Registered
Reaction score
I am super stoked about this game. It is MASSIVE. On horseback, it takes about 40-45 minutes to reach one of the end of the map to the other. I heard this in an interview with the devs. The depth of these games are super cool, so I will definitely be getting this one.

maggi90w1

CAVE!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think my computer can handle it, so I'll have to watch youtube-let's-plays, but I'm still looking forward to it. I'm reading the books right now and I loooved the first game (my favorite game ever!). The Witcher 2 is amazing as well, although I'm still only half-way through.

TomMcClaren

Registered
Reaction score
Hands-down, Witcher 3 and the Division are my two most-anticipated games for the next-gen consoles. I loved the Witcher (Even though I suck on PC controls), absolutely loved the Witcher 2, and I can't wait for the third. Someone said it's the last one in the series, but I don't know about that.

I will agree that Witcher 2 was the best-looking game I've played, and I'll also agree that the sex scenes were genuine and not just thrown in for fan service. Geralt is one of the best anti-heroes in gaming, and the story lines always keep me immersed.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
What I like about the Witcher series is that it doesn't pretend that the middle ages were a good time to be alive. Western fantasy often glorify the middle ages as some kind of bucolic, pastoral world of benign Downtown Abbey life. It was nothing like that.

It was a dirty time, a hard time full of disease and hardship and painful struggle. Life was cheap and the strong did what they willed, and the weak suffered what they must, to paraphrase the Melian Dialogues. I think the whole ethos can be summed up in this trailer which I linked above, but which I can link again. The petty little middling evil in it just sums up everything about these games.

Killing Monsters Trailer

Last edited:

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
I'm currently playing Dragon Age: Origins and The Witcher 1. I'm really enjoying the Witcher 1. Can't wait to play 2 and then hopefully 3 will be out :)

engmajor2005

Registered
Reaction score
I've pre-ordered it twice: once from GOG, and once from GameStop. From GOG to support them, from GameStop for the collector's edition.

I did a complete overhaul of my PC just to run this game at high to max settings.

I would debase myself in the most vile ways, in the dirtiest alleys of Eastern Europe, to get this game early.

Salaris

Fantasy Writer and Game Designer
Registered
Reaction score
I'm definitely looking forward to this. The Witcher games are some of the best RPGs I've played in recent years, and this one in particular looks beautiful. The source material is some good stuff, too, although it had a much stronger "faerie tale" vibe than the games did (at least to me).

Status
Not open for further replies.