What Games Do You Play? (Changed from "Computers ...")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
Okay, so PC games aside, what else do you play? Do any of you run D&D campaigns? Are you DM's in your spare time?

I'm mostly a PC gamer, but I have friends tempting me to join their D&D shenanigans. *watches writing time slipping away*

nahalwi

Registered
Reaction score
APE0600SM.jpg

"Run, my pretty little chunks of XP! Run!" -Belkar Bitterleaf

For anyone who has not checked out Order of the Stick yet, it is AWESOME!

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0001.html

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Such an evil link. The first time I went to OOTS I think I read like.... 250 episodes before I got fired.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Er....chess? :D

(God, I feel so boring now.)

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
OK - then maybe turn this on it's head. If you play mostly computer games, then why? Why is that medium better, or more appealing than the real life version?

Is it something about the anonymity of the computer, perhaps? I think I would feel a bit odd sitting in a room with other folks rolling dice, but put me in front of a computer and it's more distant, more acceptable somehow.

Last edited:

nahalwi

Registered
Reaction score
I think for me I enjoy all sorts of mediums. Computer games, console games, board games, card games...It really depends on my mood.

I think the thing with computers is you have the ability to play all sorts of games without taking up closet space. Like the Wii has developed, if you are having a party and want to break out the old 'board games' you can do it on the big screen t.v. without having the mess of it taking up space, or putting it away.

Also, with a lot of board games you have to have other people around to play it. Which, if you are working all day, get stuff taken care of, eat dinner, get kids to bed, a lot of people have nights to themselves but can't necessarily go anywhere, which opens up a reason to play computer games (or console) both multi-player and/or solo.

Personally, I don't really care that much about being anonymous with my gameplay. When I get on multi-player, I chat about whatever and get other people to chat about whatever, and a lot of times it's even led to long lasting friendships. I guess in a way the option is there though, if I don't feel like chatting, I just don't.

Phoebe H

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ph-unbalanced.livejournal.com
I really enjoy tabletop wargames. When I was about 10, I got my first SPI game (War of the Ring) which got me hooked on the "hundreds of tiny cardboard chit" games. I still like them, but it can be hard to find people to play with. My favorites are both Avalon Hill games: Dune ( the best 6 player game I've played) and Titan. (SPI's Swords & Sorcery is right up there, too.)

I used to GM a lot (GURPS is my favorite system, but I've also done a fair amount of D&D and Rolemaster) but that was mostly when I couldn't write. Now that I'm writing again, I don't GM, because that uses the same part of my brain.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
As stated before, the advantage of computer games is you don't have to gather anyone together. You can get on and play when and where you want to. And, for the anti-social, there's the added bonus of not having to deal with anyone if you so choose.

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
Have played or am playing ...
  • Warhammer 40K (not much right now).
  • Shadowrun (the Xbox version stunk).
  • Rifts (was CCO of a company that worked on the initial stages of building a Rifts MMORPG; spoke to Kevin Siembieda several times ... cool!)
  • D&D (built three great campaigns that last two years on a little island in the azores)
  • Battlefleet Gothic.
Have tried GURPS, Formula De, and others. Warhammer Fantasy as well.

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
My faves, old and new;

Grand Theft auto series
Command & Conquer series (prefer the older stuff)
Max Payne
SWAT
Flight Simulator series
Hitman Series
Silent Hill
Splinter Cell: Double Agent (didn't love the other but the last level of DA is joyous)
Rainbow Six: Vegas

And looking over that list, aside from FS which is another world entirely, I'd say the one thing linking my faves together are good story. That's the biggest draw for me and if it's flat, it doesn't work. That's why I didn't love F.E.A.R. and Doom 3. Both were gorgeous and very absorbing but relentless with the shooting. You need a break to truly appreciate the frenzied action.

VMMV

D'oh! forgot Resident Evil et al. Loved those in the Playstation days.

Last edited:

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Have played or am playing ...
  • Warhammer 40K (not much right now).
  • Shadowrun (the Xbox version stunk).
  • Rifts (was CCO of a company that worked on the initial stages of building a Rifts MMORPG; spoke to Kevin Siembieda several times ... cool!)
  • D&D (built three great campaigns that last two years on a little island in the azores)
  • Battlefleet Gothic.
Have tried GURPS, Formula De, and others. Warhammer Fantasy as well.
Have you tried Dark Heresy?

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
I'm mainly a console/PC gamer. Used to play a couple of TCGs in school (Magic and Pokemon...what? ) and I've participated in a D&D game or two (via chat room...kind of neat actually).

I play mostly RPGs and action/adventure/insert subgenre here. I tend not to stray very far from what I know I like so I haven't played much outside those genres, aside from the odd racing or fighting game.

I have a PS3, so if anyone wants to add me let me know and I'll give you my PSN ID. :) I do have access to a Wii, I just don't have any games for it since I don't really use it at all. It's mainly my mom's heh. I do have a DS though and I will be getting a PSP when Final Fantasy Dissidia comes out.

Memnon624

A Boy and his Orc . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scottoden.com
Have you tried Dark Heresy?

Dark Heresy is awesome, though I'm not overly enthusiastic about the Warhammer FRP-type rules. We've house-ruled a d20 version of it.

I also play a goodly bit of old school D&D, a little D&D 4th Edition, the Conan RPG (Atlantean edition), some Call of Cthulhu and Arkham Horror, and I'm looking to run a campaign set in ancient Greece (either during the Persian Wars or the Peloponnesian War) using d20.

Oh yeah, I also play Xbox 360.

Best,

Scott

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Yeah, when I played Dark Heresy, I had to house-rule it thoroughly. Was fun, though. Combat was fast enough that we could focus on story. I thrive in Dystopic settings. Roleplaying a religious fanatic feels disturbingly comfortable to me...

Last edited:

dnic

Resident Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
four-lettered-words.blogspot.com
I dabble mostly in MMORPGs:
WoW (I know. I'm sooo sphecial!)
RO (Waaay back when).

And um...sort of miscellaneous?
GB (Old school).

I haven't done tabletops...on the table. I have done GURPS over the net before...and you cannot pay me enough to run a campaign.

Order of the Stick is awesome...I need to catch up.

Relik7

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Final Fantasy 7+CC DoC, 8 & 10. Shadow Hearts. Legend of Dragoon. So many other RPG's I can't even think of them all (= not very memorable).

God help me I'll always love Spyro.

Tables were all GM inventions loosely based on a Sci.Fi. system.

and...uh yeah chess too, and scrabble but....

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
The original X-Box - Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas; Thief: Deadly Shadows (the Cradle segment); Predator: Concrete Jungle; Fable; XIII (guilty pleasure).
Xbox360 - Crackdown; GTA IV; Saints Row; The Darkness; Gun (best western in a while).
PC - Far Cry; Half Life 2; Knights Of The Old Republic; Aliens Versus Predator (the old one); Rise Of Nations.

If there is any one release that I would have to point to as being influential in overall style, quality, replayability and enjoyment, it would have to be GTA III on the PC. The mods alone were genius - some bedroom coder did up a Batmobile within the first few months of the game being released. It was the only car I drove for days.

other games - Cluedo, chess, mahjong, poker, Monopoly and Risk.

Just nobody mention Hellboy: Asylum Seeker, then we can all get along.

cryaegm

Snakecakes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
enigmainklings.blogspot.com
I play on the GC, PSP, PS2, DS, along with having GBA and GBC games.

Right now, for the PS2 I'm playing Okami. Then I'll be going back to FFXII. I really want to playing FFXIII, though, but I don't have a PS3 or a Xbox 360. :(

I'm not much of a gaming person like board games. :p I'm more into the video games.

Mara

Clever User Title
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, another old thread. :)

I play a lot of video games, but like tabletop RPGs more. (I spent a LOT of time working on TRPG stuff and run games two nights a week. I've got a few very minor acknowledgements in some published RPGs, too.)

Not much for board games, but I'll play Arkham Horror every now and again.

Fame<Infamy

Registered
Reaction score
Lately I have been playing a lot of Pathfinder and D&D and I still play the occasional video game. Though most of the time I just mess around. Last serious things I played were Mirror's Edge and MGS4.

Status
Not open for further replies.