What Games Do You Play? (Changed from "Computers ...")

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Played Sega for years (go Sonic!), then moved to random PC games. Got into Ultima Online for a bit, but got bored as hell when an invasion got out of hand (it gets boring when it goes on for months on end) and quit. A year later I got into World of Warcraft, got a PS2 a couple years ago and play DoC, The Simpsons Hit and Run and a couple others on there. WoW's my main love though, I like the flexibility. If you want to quest with people you can. If you want to quest alone you can.

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
OK - then maybe turn this on it's head. If you play mostly computer games, then why? Why is that medium better, or more appealing than the real life version?

Is it something about the anonymity of the computer, perhaps? I think I would feel a bit odd sitting in a room with other folks rolling dice, but put me in front of a computer and it's more distant, more acceptable somehow.

I played dicey games with lots of people for a long time, but the fun of a computer game is the immersive world it provides.

I just set up a multiplayer game in Operation Arrowhead/ARMA2/Combined Arms last night, and due to the atmospheric settings I used I was very surprised to see a rainbow over my springtime central asian valley. I didn't explicitly put the rainbow there, but the game world engine recognized that there should be one there and it put it in. Then of course all hell broke loose and somebody blew up the ZSU-23 AA truck and oily smoke rose while secondary explosions echoed over the valley. One of the lads started screaming for a medic and I hurried off to stop the enemy from doing more damage.

If you play games with large open worlds such as exist in the ARMA series, your'e in for an experience that is very different from any other type of game. And if you use the editors and mission builders and terrain creators, you can build your own versions of these worlds.

http://www.arma2.com/arma-2-oa_en.html

Freelancer

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.crystalshadeangeni.com
I've just finished Homeworld and started Homeworld: Cataclysm (And after that Homeworld 2 comes. :) ). These are old games, but they're hard (Sometimes very hard, while I'm not a rookie player at all.). HW has a very good storyline, excellent music and voice acting, very good atmosphere and many memorable missions and moments (Even one the most heartbreaking moments in gaming history is also in HW1.). So this 11 years old game has everything what the present games with their shiny graphics can't offer at all. Unlike in C&C3 and other low-IQ childish RTS games, in HW you must use your mind if you want to prevail.

TheMindKiller

Only I Will Remain
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabberwocky.ws
Right now I'm exclusively playing Starcraft 2 (even though it's broken on my system)

I'm also a big Xbox 360 fan. Everything from Halo to Alan Wake to, more recently, Red Dead Redemption. I actually beat Red Dead Redemption to 100% in 5 days. (I was deployed at the time)

For my PS3, I have inFamous, God of War 3, Demon's Souls (amazing game for the lack of attention it got) and Uncharted 2. Haven't beaten any of them.

Ratiekae

Loves blue jeans and irony.
Registered
Reaction score
Geek Alert: Code Veronica

Video, mostly. I'll play almost anything on a console, but I try to stay away from FPS and war games, the Metroid: Primes being the only exception. :guns:

I love me some Zelda and Mario too, and will, on occasion, dig out the old Sega Genesis and play old school Sonic, Spiderman and the X-Men, Madden and MLB 1994, and other childhood memory games.

My favorite Genesis game hands down is Shining Force II. That was the game of my childhood. I think it's the reason I like the names Sarah and Peter so much, why I'm not the biggest fan of the name Luke, and why I hate chess. Well, other than the fact that I'm terrible at it, but that chess battle was traumatic! Almost as bad as the Kraken battle. I knew all the nuances, the secret characters and items, and above all I knew not to promote Sarah or Kazin until I got to the secret village of the elves and get them their vigor ball and secret book. I want my Master Monk and Sorcerer, dang it! :mob

I have no idea if anyone here knows what I'm talking about, but I seriously love that game, and I could talk about it forever. I still find myself walking around humming the over world theme, and wishing I had the music so I could learn the epic flute trills and runs.

My other supreme video game addiction: Tales of Symphonia. I could not tell you how many times I've played through that game. The time that goes into one play-through is 20 hours, minimum. It can get as high as 80 hours with side-quests and character specialization.

I love my Gamecube, and will murder anyone who looks at it wrong. :e2fight: Unless they're here to give me a Wii to replace it. Then I could forgive them.

I regret none of this.

KodyBoye

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kodyboye.com
I've been playing Aliens vs. Predator 3. Beat the Alien campaign recently, though I can't play the Alien without getting a headache (and I DO NOT get motion sickness from games, which is even more surprising.) I also recently purchased Bloody Good Time and like the quirkiness of it.

Ksenyc

Registered
Reaction score
I've been playing Aliens vs. Predator 3. Beat the Alien campaign recently, though I can't play the Alien without getting a headache (and I DO NOT get motion sickness from games, which is even more surprising.) I also recently purchased Bloody Good Time and like the quirkiness of it.

I played Aliens vs. Predator (the first one) a few months ago for nostalgia... game still holds up against its successors I think. I especially like the marine campaign. Very moody, very atmospheric. Kinda like how Silent Hill is still a horrifying game.

Other than revisiting games of my past, I'm a frequent L4D1/2 player and I can't stop playing those crappy little indie games you can only download on forums.

Eudoxia

The Undead Bookworm
Registered
Reaction score
I've been obsessed with D&D these past few days. I'm a major RPG fan as well as FPS. Killing Floor and L4D2 are probably the other games that I play the most.

darkangel77

Head in the clouds
Registered
Reaction score
I played and plan to play everything that's made by Blizzard Entertainment and Bioware. Right now I'm playing World of Warcraft, of course, and doing my third replay of Dragon Age Origins after about an 8 month break.

Then again, the more I play games, the less I write, so...maybe I should cut down on my game playing for awhile xD

Hooper

Registered
Reaction score
I must admit that Im 37 and play D&D on Sunday evenings in the conference room of my office. That way we dont wake my 2 year old twins when things are getting a little out of hand.

You would be surprised at how many really good book ideas can come from a well prepared D&D session

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
I must second the fact that the <em>Homeworld</em> games are awesome and probably pretty cheap to find. They have a wonderful story and, as already said, a sense of strategy that's more... eh, realistic?... than most RTSs.

Currently, I'm playing <em>Oblivion</em> and love open-ended role-playing games, especially ones that actually give you a chance to role-play instead of following a pre-ordained script.

AndreF

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I play combat flight sims. There is nothing like being in the air with hundreds of problems going on at the same time. You want to talk about strategy a combat flight sim has it. You got think and move fast.

However I do like the Homeworld series and Act of War, Starcraft, and Civilizatoins series too. My current RPG is Fallout 3

Darke

New Kid. Careful, I bite.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
I'm stuck on Fable 3, Black Ops Zombies, and Sims 3.

A girl needs something to wind down from a day of writing.

Harry Douthwaite

Travel Videographer Extraordinaire!
Registered
In Time Out for My Sins
Reaction score
Currently, I play Grand Theft Auto 3 and Vice City - mainly for the pleasure of driving vehicles, but also for the boyish passion for guns and MONEY.
On the other hand, my main forte is transportation games - a really old one named "Transport Tycoon Deluxe" has got a new lease on life with a free spin-off named "OpenTTD", which is extremely addictive if you like trains speeding across the landscape making £££'s.
I'm also playing a game on facebook called "Lucky Train". Like TTD, this game is on a somewhat smaller scale, focusing on a small local area rather than a large map.

Other times I also enjoy playing Age of Empires II and the Roller Coaster Tycoon series, and rarely I play Call of Duty/Medal of Honor games.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
RPGs of all kind (although I dislike turn-based the most).
FPS and RTS when I feel like.
Not much else really..

Last edited:

Ludicrum

Registered
Reaction score
I love games. My username is the Latin word for game. Here's the stuff I play:

Console Games (Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Nintendo Wii, OnLive Microconsole)
PC (Steam, OnLive)
Handheld (Nintendo DS Lite)
Yu-Gi-Oh TCG (Light-Attribute Warrior/Fairy Deck)

I WOULD play Dungeons and Dragons or some other tabletop game (I'm curious to try one of the World of Darkness games) but I don't have any friends who are into that sort of thing like I am.

AngelRoseDarke

Kind-hearted stranger
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.angelrosedarke.110mb.com
I am mainly a World of Warcraft player. I can be found on the Skywall server as Strykerius or Gothika if anyone in on Skywall and wants to group up for something.

Other games I enjoy:

the Tomb Raider games (I love Laura Croft)
the Resident Evil series
the Silent Hill games
Legends of the Dragoon
Doom (I know, old school LOL)
Black Ops (PS3)
the God of War games
D&D (used to play but not so much anymore)
Vampire the Masquerade (again, not so much anymore)

L_N

Registered
Reaction score
I recently played Settlers of Catan, but I'd REALLY like to get back into playing D&D, and maybe Vampire the Masquerade.

Though, I never want to play WoW ever again. That game owns my soul.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
World of Darkness MMO is supposed to premiere in a year's time or so. It will be released by CCP that makes Eve Online. They own the IP of World of Darkness, and they're busy developing that.

My MMO of choice is Eve Online, and they're incorporating the WoD-tech into Eve at the moment.

-Epic-

Nevermore
Registered
Reaction score
I have a Wii, GameCube, and PS2. My brother recently moved out and took my old DS Lite and his XBox 360 with him, but otherwise I play loads of games on all those systems.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I'm a first-gen girl gaming geek. I started with D&D (well, technically AD&D) almost thirty years ago. I have played and/or run campaigns in Runequest, Champions, Bushido, Toon, Chivalry and Sorcery, Hackmaster, Rolemaster, Amber, Doctor Who (the old version), Paranoia, Teenagers from Outer Space, GURPs, Ars Magica and god knows what else.

Standard rpgs, however, are the least of it. Mostly the group I game with has played homebrewed roleplaying games. We have invented and tweaked lots of systems, preferring them to prefab adventures. It's hard to describe our roleplaying games, because they go in so many weird, metaphorical directions. We use a lot of them to explore in an interactive way the various philosophical matters we are dealing with ... which I guess makes them sound less fun than they actually are. We did recently have a campaign with a classic party of assorted fantasy archetypes roaming a landscape, plundering dungeons and fighting dragons, but the underlying reality was way more bizarre than that.

We also have played lots of tabletop games and card games over the years, including a seriously modded and homebrewed version of "Talisman" (which in its original form is kind of icky and one-dimensional -- it's based on Warhammer), Phil and Kaja Foglio's "The Works", "Munchkin" (all variations) and lots of others.

PS: I should probably point out that I'm not a writer, but an artist.

Last edited:

jacquelynsmith

Warrior Princess
Registered
Reaction score
Website
waywardscribeblog.blogspot.com
I like to kick it old-school with PC RPG's (mostly DOS-based):

Sierra games (Quest for Glory, King's Quest, etc.)
Westwood games (Lands of Lore, Legends of Kyrandia)
Civilization (I only have Call to Power)
Myst series

I'd have to say my favorite board game is Cranium.

Status
Not open for further replies.