What Games Do You Play? (Changed from "Computers ...")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strychnine

Registered
Reaction score
At the moment I'm really into "Dominion" which is a card game.

Usually I play computer games, specifically things like Half Life or Portal (i.e. Valve everything!) but also more...fun/cute games like World of Goo and PvZ. I play WoW also, but have had to cancel my account while I write my dissertation >.< it is for the best...

As for console, I have a PS2 and 3, I like Japanese games, right now: BlazBlu and Eternal Sonata. Also...Kingdom Hearts!

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Ohhhhh yes ...

I have played computer games, too, I now recall. I played "The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and "A Mind Forever Voyaging" (which I loved). They were -- get this -- text-only games, without a single graphic. And they were fun.

Gravity's Rainbow

Registered
Reaction score
Board games of almost any kind.
My current favorites are Dominion, Race for the Galaxy, Zooloretto and Last Night on Earth

For video games I generally stick to RPG's (think classic Final Fantasy) and Minecraft

L_N

Registered
Reaction score
I'm so into Mass Effect 2 right now, but I can't bring myself to finish it. I feel like the adventure will be over if I complete the game...

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Popping in here because I just now realized this section existed.

I have played: Shivers (waaaay, way old by now--some of those puzzles I had to make my dad solve for me, with his engineering brain)

Terminal Velocity (you can totally blow up the trees as well as enemy planes!)

Journeyman (impossible without a strategy guide--work to fun ratio too high)

Megarace (bloody awesome--I miss it)

The Seventh Guest (cool, but also too high on the work to fun ratio--that bishop puzzle is sadistic)

D&D (only a couple times, it was okay, too many frickin' dice)

Mortal Kombat / Tekken / Conker's Bad Fur Day (all from my senior year of high school, which I (mis)spent almost ENTIRELY in the student lounge)

I have watched (i.e. with friends, or via YouTube), but not played:

Silent Hill 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and Origins

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Windwaker

Limbo

Deadly Premonition

...and God help me, I've just discovered Final Fantasy 7.

(I say 'watched' because controllers annoy me, outside of the PC arena, and I play games more for the story than for the gameplay.)

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
I played Madden with my nine year old son. He beat me 46-3. I think he let me kick a field goal out of pity.

I played Call Of Duty with my eighteen year old son. I merc'd everybody in sight. GREAT stress reliever because I kept seeing my boss's face.

I used to be a WOW fiend. I had a serious problem. I am still in recovery.

authorgirl1485

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Lol. My friends are really into D&D. I could never really get into it myself, which is strange because of my overactive imagination. I really like the Final Fantasy series. I also like Shadow Hearts, (not Kingdom Hearts) Xenosaga, Legend of Dragoon, and Legend of Heroes.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Oh--and of course, Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt. (How could I forget those?)

And if we're counting board games: Dark Tower. I loved that game so much.

Underthelivingmoon

Closets are for clothes
Registered
Reaction score
I used to play 'Vampire: The Masquerade' but the group I was in was a little too into it. I'm pretty sure that the Master wanted to drain me- lol.

In regards to board games, my favorites are Scrabble, Trivial Pursuit, and chess. For video games I'm old school- Mario Bros. 1 and 3, Dark Cloud, Arkanoid, Jeopardy, and Kingdom Hearts. Oh, and of course, Mortal Kombat.

Feral_Sophisticate

Warming maid's buttocks since 1989.
Registered
Reaction score
Meadowvale, Ontario, Canada, Earth, The Sol System
Website
fetlife.com
Okay, so PC games aside, what else do you play? Do any of you run D&D campaigns? Are you DM's in your spare time?

I really enjoy tabletop wargames.

Rather than reply individually, I'll lump ya all together, and add my two cents at the end. :)

I used to GM a lot (GURPS is my favorite system, but I've also done a fair amount of D&D and Rolemaster) but that was mostly when I couldn't write. Now that I'm writing again, I don't GM, because that uses the same part of my brain.

Lately I have been playing a lot of Pathfinder and D&D

I played Aliens vs. Predator (the first one) a few months ago for nostalgia... game still holds up against its successors I think. I especially like the marine campaign. Very moody, very atmospheric. Kinda like how Silent Hill is still a horrifying game.

I've been obsessed with D&D these past few days.

D&D (used to play but not so much anymore)
Vampire the Masquerade (again, not so much anymore)

I'd REALLY like to get back into playing D&D, and maybe Vampire the Masquerade.

I'm a first-gen girl gaming geek. I started with D&D (well, technically AD&D) almost thirty years ago. I have played and/or run campaigns in Runequest, Champions, Bushido, Toon, Chivalry and Sorcery, Hackmaster, Rolemaster, Amber, Doctor Who (the old version), Paranoia, Teenagers from Outer Space, GURPs, Ars Magica and god knows what else.

I used to play 'Vampire: The Masquerade' but the group I was in was a little too into it. I'm pretty sure that the Master wanted to drain me- lol.

Computer games:
Unreal Tournament (the original, GOTY edition)
SWAT3 and SWAT4 (a FPS that penalizes you for killing? Makes you think far more carefully about what you shoot at)
Alien vs Predator 2 (I got vertigo the first time I played as the alien - but loved it)
Fallout 1 and 2
Baldur's Gate 1 and 2

Tabletop games:
various wargames by SPI, Avalon Hill and Victory Games (like, for example, the "Fleet" series by Victory Games, the "Squad Leader" series by Avalon Hill and "A Mighty Fortress" by SPI - to name just a few)
newer wargames by Decision Games, L2 Design Group, Clash of Arms and Multiman Publishing)
various versions of D&D, starting with BECMI (Basic/Expert/Companion/Master/Immortals), and ending with 2nd Edition AD&D. Have never been a fan of 3.x D&D
Pathfinder - yeah, I don't like 3.0/3.5e D&D, but I like Pathfinder. Go figure.
All Flesh Must Be Eaten - zombies? I'm so there
Vampire: The Masquerade - I played it when it first came out, loved it, then got out of it when my kids were born. They're older now, and I'm back in the game
Warhammer Fantasy (the original one)
Twilight: 2000 (2nd edition)

Her Dark Star

Registered
Reaction score
I'm so into Mass Effect 2 right now, but I can't bring myself to finish it. I feel like the adventure will be over if I complete the game...

I can so understand that, hadn't played the games before but recently played ME, and just finished ME2 yesterday. I was also reluctant to launch the final mission as I didn't want it to end but it's so worth it. Plus for you're reassurance if you survive the final mission you can keep playing to finish up anything you missed or import your character to start a new game and go through it all over again but with bonuses....

Rented them both but just ordered them as I think I'll replay the pair a couple of times and set me up for when the third comes out :)

For those who aren't familiar, SF rpg/shooter. Definitely has it's flaws but both excellent games with some great storytelling.

Scotthard

Registered
Reaction score
I have played,
GTA vice city and Liberty City
True Crime
Max Payne Series
Max+Payne.PNG

Desirai

Registered
Reaction score
I'm mostly a PC gamer. I play FFXI, FFXIV, The Sims 3, Spore, Black and White 2, Simcity, and tons of facebook/online games.

On console, I play the fable series. I carry my NDS with me everywhere and I my favorites are the pokemon games, shin megami tensei, harvest moon, dragon quest/dragon warrior, and various other games.

DionS.

Shaken, not stirred
Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty hardcore when it comes to gaming, a side effect from a lifetime of ADHD. I love FPSs, RTSs, and RPGs on 360, PS3, and Wii. I've got six computers in my house but the only thing I mess with there is the occasional WoW romp with my wife. We both have lvl 85 ice mages so we love terrorizing the world

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Not a real avid gamer. I'm a huuuuuuuuge Portal fan though. My favourite game of all time, and I'm saving up for Portal 2. I also like Fallout 3 and Prince of Persia: SOT.

SamBeasley

Bawdy Little Monkey
Registered
Reaction score
Anybody ever play the Everway RPG? I used to play that for a while. Loved it. Tried a little D&D but there was too much math involved for me.

Tried a bunch of the collectible card games for a while, but ended up (like most, I would assume) on Magic: The Gathering.

I'm a little behind video-game-wise, but Dead Rising 2 and Batman: Arkham Asylum I obsessed over for a while. :) Pretty much now video games are the extent of my gaming.

Last edited:

Velcro

Scribbling Scribe
Registered
Reaction score
Talk about blast from the past. I used to play D&D like it was going out of style but alas not anymore. I was huge into Dragonlance, Shadowrun, Star Wars, Vampire: The Masquerade that is until I discovered girls...

I miss my roleplaying days. :cry:

Feral_Sophisticate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
fetlife.com
Lately, I've been playing a freeware space/action game called "Transcendence"... Very reminiscent of "Escape Velocity" (for the Mac-heads out there that remember it), but better in a lot of ways. It's customizable, and offers a lot of replay potential.

Death is permanent in the game (unless you buy insurance), and you can't just ALT+F4 out of the game if you get frustrated (as that will save the game before you exit).

I died tonight, but the insurance I bought (at no small cost) saved my bacon. I'm totally hooked... :D

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Recently, game night with the guys (I wish they'd let their girlfriends/wives in on it, too, but there seems to be an unspoken guys-only rule) has included:

- the D&D Ashardalon board game (last time, we pulled the dragon on the first round),
- Magic: the Gathering (both Commander and standard-legal decks),
- the Bang! card game (in Italian for extra amusement),
- and a variety of board games I can't even remember the names of.

Where video games are concerned, we've continued to play League of Legends, and my feelings about its community continue to be mixed at best.

I'm hoping to get another game of Space Hulk in before too long.

Last edited:

BPRFilmz

Novice Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I play on both computer and console. I also play board games and card games.

I like different types of genres, RTS (Total Annihilation, Starcraft), FPS (Halo, Left 4 Dead, Star Wars Battlefront), RPG (Final Fantasy, Legend of Legaia, Legaia 2, Kingdom Hearts). I like some games from other genres too, but genres previously mentioned are what I mainly like.

Recently I have been trying to switch as much as I can to computer gaming, and downloads, no discs. It helps that I recently bought a new computer that can handle gaming. I still do console gaming though, Xbox 360, PS3. Some games aren't for computers, like Final Fantasy and Halo.

I haven't played as many board games recently, but some other guys and I like to get together and play them now and then. We like games like D&D, Ascension, and others, can't remember the names.

Card games, basically just Magic: the Gathering.

Last edited:

Feral_Sophisticate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
fetlife.com
Recently, game night with the guys (I wish they'd let their girlfriends/wives in on it, too, but there seems to be an unspoken guys-only rule)

That's unfortunate, and rather sad - unless that game night is the only night that the group can get together, which would at least make a little more sense...

Personally, I'd love it if my girlfriend could game with me. We limit our list of participants to people who that we get along with.

She can't game because she's got twin 3 year old boys. Free time is a rare commodity for her, and we make the most of it by spending time together whenever we can.

Andain

Registered
Reaction score
Website
laurahardgrave.blogspot.com
I'm a gamer. Started out years ago with the FF series. Now I mostly play computer games, but every now and then I find a PS3 game I enjoy. Love RPGs the most, and the occasional action/strategy game.

I have a weak spot for MMORPGs. First played Ragnarok Online eons ago, oh, and Diablo II online. Then moved to WoW. Now I'm playing RIFT, LotRO, and eagerly anticipating SWTOR.

Oh, and ME2. Finally got around to it. <3

cara

Registered
Reaction score
I tend to play rpgs, action/adventure, FPS and tactical alot, but also horror, point and click and such. At the moment I'm re-playing pokemon heartgold, but hopefully getting persona 3 on the psp for xmas!

Status
Not open for further replies.