What Games Do You Play? (Changed from "Computers ...")

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
I'm replaying Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals, which is my favourite remake of anything ever. It stays true to Lufia II's mix of battles and puzzles in dungeons while really fleshing out the world and characters. It adds a lot to distinguish the setting from the rather generic medieval setting of the original game and gives a lot more personality to the party members and NPCs (and, most importantly, there's more Dekar, who's even more amazing and stupid).

But as much as I love the game, I wish nothing but ill upon every single person responsible for the Gades boss fights. (Even if those people wrote every one of Dekar's lines.)

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
DOOM, and pretty much nothing else. I slaughter a few thousand helpless hellspawn every day. There are still excellent new levels being made, and now there are several good random map generators. My fave is ObHack, which at its best can rival handbuilt maps.

That is funny. It is the only video game I play, Final Doom, PS2 version once in a blue moon. I do play Pokemon TCG with my son almost every day.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I've been replaying Knights of the Old Republic!

It was all going well until I found, to my horror, that quick load was F5.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
That is funny. It is the only video game I play, Final Doom, PS2 version once in a blue moon. I do play Pokemon TCG with my son almost every day.

Final DOOM was actually two sets of fan-made maps (not sure of the arrangement with TeamTNT, but Plutonia was commissioned, and was made very quickly). TeamTNT went on to make several more major projects, not only WADs but also the BOOM engine that is the foundation for most of the advanced DOOM engines today, including the ZDoom family. (I was a member of the very extensive BOOM beta testing group, and found about 75% of the reported bugs.) I use a BOOM descendant called Fusion, which added jumping and a lot of enhancements to the nasty tweaks that can be done with the monsters. :evil

Userc16

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ssdpress.com
Speaking of Doom, I remember I used to play Doom 1 but multi-player. My god was that game fun. Not sure how many hours I wasted playing it, but it's a fond part of my later childhood.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
So, I beat Kotor 1 and now I am playing Kotor 2 and...

Okay, this is USING a fan-patch that fixes thousands of bugs and adds in literally 20 hours of cut content.

...Knights of the Republic 2 blows Knights of the Republic 1 out of the WATER. It's so much better than the first game, it is practically UNREAL. I'm completely stunned by the sheer amount of...fascinatingly good writing is going on in this game. The characters are interesting and compelling, the combat has been re-balanced to make ranged weapons actually fun to use, and the Exile's backstory is so much more interesting than Revan's.

And this is coming from someone who thinks that the Revan twist was one of the best I'd ever played. But...the Exile manages to be more complex, and reveals this complexity through naturalistic dialog. There's something awesomely cool about learning about my character's backstroy via DIALOG choices.

Once again, it is an example of how all the best Bioware and Bethesda Games are from Obsidian.

...even if they're buggy as shit.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
KotOR II (along with Fallout: New Vegas) shows me how Obsidian really isn't good at grey-and-grey morality. It's especially glaring with KotOR II, where they just threw in a ton of retcons to make Revan into a complete Speshul Snowflake. And even with their obsession with grey-and-grey, you'd have to be awfully unfamiliar with any sort of fiction to not realize that Kreia is blatantly a villain.

I wouldn't exactly call the gameplay "re-balanced" either, since all they did was make every type of weapon absurdly overpowered. Not to mention how making other party members into Jedi is horribly implemented and that none of them really benefit from becoming Jedi.

Having played Fallout 3 recently, which has a far more interesting plot than New Vegas's "nobody except the Courier can do anything, and it's grey-and-grey except for how the NCR is clearly the most 'white' and the Legion is blatantly pure-'black'" and much better and more varied world design, my opinion on Obsidian is that all they're good at is taking other developers' engines and tweaking the gameplay. And even then, it's still filled with poor balance and design decisions.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I haven't actually gotten to the point where I can turn any of my party members into Jedi.

So far, I've just been having a lot of fun playing my ranged ex-Jedi build.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Eh, it's not really fair to judge New Vegas against Fallout 3. 3 is very, very much a Bethesda game, with Bethesda doing all they do best (which is a big, cohesive world unearthed through constant player discovery. IMO, of course, but six years in and I'm still seeing things I haven't before). New Vegas is more in keeping with the original titles - complete with a healthy layer of cheesy goodness over the grit. Which makes sense, since Obsidian brought in a lot of the Interplay crew that worked on earlier titles. :shrug:

Anyway, I've been playing both pretty relentlessly lately. Just can't stay away from either wasteland too long.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure how much of the content is restored, and how much was in the original Kotor2, but...

Man, Kreia is just catastrophically incorrect about everything. Social Darwinism is a flawed philosophy, and I'm glad you can tell her to get stuffed.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I actually really like that Kreia believes in studying both sides of the force and condemns anyone that thinks only one side is purely right. Even with her faults, she comes off as a much better teacher than most Jedi do.

Bluefish

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently playing a fair amount of Skyrim. And when I say "playing," I mean "playing for 40 minutes then encountering yet another glitch and rage-quitting." The. I usually come crawling back within a day, because I want to find just one more Word of Power.

What I'm really anticipating is when Season 2 of The Walking Dead is released on disc next week.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Recently I've been getting back into gaming. So, along with trying to *finally* finish 2 games (Dawn Of War 2, and Neverwinter Nights 2) that I never had time for, I've also started in on StarCraft 2 and Dragon Age: Origins.

Those ought to keep me busy for a few months at least.

WaywardSquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
I've got a backlog of games I bought on sale and haven't even played, or maybe played once or twice but then got sidetracked with something else. Right now I'm plugging away at the DLC for the first Borderlands, and I haven't decided what to tackle next.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
I got sucked back into WoW. I was on the last level of Tomb Raider Anniversary too; I wonder if I'll get back to it in time to remember what I was doing >>

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Since I'm building my first PC this weekend, I am quite looking forward to starting with The Witcher 1 and Dragon Age Origins.

Then KOTOR is on my list, everyone praises 2, should I play 1 as well or just 2?

And I bought CS, I've never played an FPS game before, so that will be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.