Minecraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

fadeaccompli

here and there again
Registered
Reaction score
I play Minecraft off and on. I'm currently working on building a nice carved-from-the-hillside amphitheater in my favorite multiplayer game, since someone else already has the ziggurat part down. If only those creepers would stop blowing things to hell...

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
I played a ton of it, then got a little bored and went away from it. I hear there have been a few cool updates since, though, so I may have to return some time soon. :D

I love the creativity of it. :)

HeroicLeigh

Wizard weaving wordly wonders.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.heroic-leigh.com
I am fairly heavily into Minecraft. I have a singleplayer that... well, it was going well until I caused a giant lava spill over an outpost. I haven't logged into that one in over a week due to the distress it caused me.

My husband and I have a server we run on our LAN where we play together.

I am in search of a larger server to play around on. I'd love to build a town someday. :)

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
So this Minecraft thing (on singleplayer), do I have to make a server out of my own computer in order to use it?

Last edited:

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
No, it has a single player mode (that's what I use). Just create a world and get buildin'. :)

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
How long do torches last?

Could I drop into a river, make a hole in the side of it pretty far down, then tunnel in and then up to create a hidey-hole? Or would the water follow me back up to the height of the rest of the river?

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't played for a couple of patches, but torches were infinite when I stopped. They were talking about having them run out, and using lanterns for infinite light instead, though.

You can do some interesting things with the water. Hidey-holes are very much doable, as are underwater houses etc. :)

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
My Minecraft client keeps crashing...
Keeps saying Java Platform SE Binary stops responding.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Bah :(

Check the forums, but brace yourself, as it's troll city.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
think I fixed it. Downloaded latest Java, restarted and disabled my random wallpaper changer. Sometimes it does funky things, no crashes so far.
I'm currently hollowing out a mountain. Then I'm going to build a home (or at least a stone structure with a furnace inside) inside the mountain :p
Gotta be careful though, there are caverns below, and I've been hearing groaning behind some of the walls...

Steph

Worst.
Registered
Reaction score
I loooove Minecraft, but I'm not a very involved player. I don't really mine/build/whatever. I just run around punching sheep and making pixel art...

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I have a wall 4 high from the base, which is already the cleared top of a mountain, and it's filled with torches. But somehow spiders keep showing up in it...

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Progress report:
Got two bases, the first is a kind of sprawling cavern with a staircase up to a plateau I cleared off and expanded then built up a wall around. The animals seem to like it, for some reason there's a huge herd of them in there.
There are a few tunnels that I dug branching away down below, they're a bit dangerous, one's got a lake penned up in it that I had to cordon off when I accidentally broke through. Two others lead to deep dark places that I fear and sealed off for the time being.
I built another small base a ways over from the first. Accidentally destroyed a waterfall doing it. I sunk a mineshaft in that one.

Future Plans: The plan is to dig down pretty far and eventually connect the shaft with my other base.

Edit: I found diamond! I think I'll leave it be for now.

Last edited:

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
So, if I have two beds in different locations, will I just respawn next to the closest one, or how does that work?

HeroicLeigh

Wizard weaving wordly wonders.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.heroic-leigh.com
Torches are still infinite.

As of one of the latest patches, spiders can climb walls. Make a ledge at the top of your walls and they won't be able to (protip: put cacti at the top of your walls :D).

AFAIK, with beds, you will respawn at the one you used last.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
You mean make a wall like this?
___
___| <<<<Ledge blocks
|
|
|
| <<<<Wall
|
|

Edit: Does the ocean make any noise if it's on the other side of a wall? Me and some others are considering making a kind of underground city. Would take a lot fo space and I'm concerned over the potential disaster of hitting through to the ocean. Obviously we'd build far away from it if we could, but there's no telling what the map will be like...and even then the cavern may be larger than expected, or just require expansion at time.

Last edited:

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
One moment...trees and plants don't actually require sunlight? Any light source will do as long as they have dirt and space?

Last edited:

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend any good clans? I'm browsing, though I doubt I'll join anything for awhile, still learning the ropes on single-player survival.
Few guilds that have interested me so far are:
Diamond Rangers This one probably interests me the most, it's proposed playstyle resonates with something in me.
Redstone Development Foundation (RDF) It definitely looks interesting, but I have yet ot even use redstone, let alone develop complex machines.
The American Empire It seems pretty organized and varied.
The Circle of Magi Pretty well established.
The New Empire Meh.
The Eastern Alliance The entry barrier on this one looks a wee it high...

As long as we're on clans, can anyone explain how PvP works in Minecraft, or direct me to a place that does?

HobbitTon

Registered
Reaction score
I love Minecraft! I have the creepers though. It took out half of my base.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I love Minecraft! I have the creepers though. It took out half of my base.

I think you need a bigger base :p
I'm currently in the process of expanding and connecting my three bases together. The underground cave system is terribly complex though, like a rat's warren, I'm afraid to go down there.

Dommo

On Mac's double secret probation.
Registered
Reaction score
The only frustrating thing for me in this game is that sometimes, even in my extremely well lit fortress, spiders and other monsters still occasionally spawn.

Dommo

On Mac's double secret probation.
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's a bug. It doesn't happen in all of my saves, but it has happened about half dozen times.

It's one of those OMGWTFBBQ!! Kind of situations where you shit a brick because a skeleton just started shooting at you.

Status
Not open for further replies.