Far Cry 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I was going to write a long post about how great it is, but a misclick ruined it.

SO, BUY IT NOW GODDAMN IT.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, trying again:

The gameplay is addictive.

The graphics are gorgeous.

The plot is simple but surprisingly effective and well done.

And the main character is likable and relatable in a way that computer game main characters haven't been since...ever.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Want to play it... too busy with Dark Souls: Prepare to Die edition.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
I waited several days extra before buying it. Apparently, and this is nearly unheard of, Far Cry was released several days earlier over here than over there.

So, I've been waiting for the fourth, when it was already availible!

I've played it now for a few hours. It is seriously fun.

And this mission (Minor spoiler alert!) is probably the most fun mission I've played in a long time. The music, the story to that point, the sheer adrenaline. Fun fun FUN!

ETA
It hasn't crashed on me once, but there was one point when there was a game breaking bug. All my guns suddenly disappeared! I couldn't select anything. I didn't even have my knife for when the bulldogs were chewing on my legs. And with the stupid, stupid, stupid save system that Ubisoft always have in their games I had to go back to a much, much earlier save point and go from there. I think I lost two hours worth of progression.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite thing, though, is that the main character keeps getting grossed out about skinning animals...because that just seems like what would actually happen.

I mean using a knife...stabbing an animal...cutting...

EUUGHHHH.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
The ARM rifle is a WTF-pwn-thing though. It's my favourite gun ever. When you put a bullet through the motor of an oncoming vehicle and see it burst into flame, you feel... like you're winning. ^^

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I think that the spy might not be a spy...

Because if there is one thing I have learned in Far Cry 3: EVERYONE IS INSANE.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Just wait till you get to the German ex-SEAL-offspring from Kansas on the other island. But I wouldn't want to spoil it. :eek:

ETA-
Far Cry as an IP is insane.

Crytek, the original developers, felt that they had done all they could with the IP and started to make Crysis instead. They didn't want to become a sequel factory, and wanted something new to do because, Far Cry would be comfortable.

So, Ubisoft took it over and made Far Cry 2 which had very little in common with Far Cry 1. And now there's this, which has so little in common with the other two parts. It's like it's not the same IP - except for some shared characteristics like being an FPS, having gorgeous graphics, and having lots and lots of explosions.

But, they might have called this game anything. The only thing it has in common with Number Two in the series is the graphics and the name. I suppose. I'm told.

Last edited:

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
No, they all have a similar gameplay characteristic: The binoculars that tag enemy targets, the wide open worlds, the profusion of vehicular choices, the focus on immersion.

It's just Far Cry 3 is the first game to fire on all cylinders. For once, the stealth actually works, for example. For once, you have friendly AI. For once, the STORYLINE and CHARACTERS are entertaining.

TheKoB

Smooth Operator
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm in what way is Farcry 3 different from all those other sandbox games out there? The hunting thing doesn't strike me as overwhelmingly elaborate and other than that I don't see much novelty.

My impression is you could definitely play this when you're in the mood for a sandbox shooter, but what is it that makes this game so special to you?

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Because it manages to encompass "Paradise Lost" by Milton, Alice in Wonderland, and the Queen in Snow White that asks the mirror "mirror, mirror, on the wall, who is the insanest person of them all". And the answer is in doubt as to whether it's the protagonist or the antagonists.

TheKoB

Smooth Operator
Registered
Reaction score
Alright alright I get that the design is a bit eccentric, but let's break it down to the gameplay. What is it, that makes you vomit with joy when you fire up this game?

Don't get me wrong, I played it a bit at my friend's house and it seems cool but nothing spectacularly new in my opinion.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
As a shooter, I think the gameplay trashes crap like COD or the brown-shooters out there that are supposed to be the pinnacle of the genre. The mechanics are highly polished, and the choice between gameplay styles is smooth and working very well - from stealth assassination to outright mayhem. The AI is pretty good. The only thing I complain a bit about is a finicky collission system where a tiny edge can stop your forward movement, and the car mechanics make you drive worse than a fifteen year old at his first driving lesson. Also the save system sucks, but that's a general complaint against all Ubisoft titles, and not just this game.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
ACtually, I found the driving to be fairly painless and easy, compared to...say...Crysis. Also, the vehicles didn't explode when you coughed at them.

I won! Chose the sanity ending. Rather liked it.

Very good game, very well written.

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
This was one of the spoils of my ridiculous spending spree during the Steam holiday sale. I honestly never planned on even trying this game during all of the prerelease hype build-up, because I thought Far Cry 2 was pretty meh. Then it came out and all the positive reviews and "game of the year" buzz started pouring in, so I grabbed it.

Not sure when I'll get around to actually playing it though. I bought something like 30 games during the steam sale. Meanwhile, I still have games from last year's sale that I haven't even started yet. Not to mention all of the Humble/Indie Royale Bundles I've been scooping up all year.

I have a problem. I'm a digital hoarder. :cry:

sharpyetblunt

Registered
Reaction score
The amount of time ive drove a jeep off a cliff because its more fun to drive in a straight line towards objectives...

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
As a shooter, I think the gameplay trashes crap like COD or the brown-shooters out there that are supposed to be the pinnacle of the genre. The mechanics are highly polished, and the choice between gameplay styles is smooth and working very well - from stealth assassination to outright mayhem. The AI is pretty good. The only thing I complain a bit about is a finicky collission system where a tiny edge can stop your forward movement, and the car mechanics make you drive worse than a fifteen year old at his first driving lesson. Also the save system sucks, but that's a general complaint against all Ubisoft titles, and not just this game.

I started playing this because Far Cry 4 is coming out and I wanted to get some Far Cry 3 play in before 4 captured my attention.

What I like is the structure of the islands and how that relates to your experience moving around and shooting things. I've skipped most of the story line and will probably use a save game from elsewhere to get to the southern Island if I get that far before Far Cry 4 comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.