Status
Not open for further replies.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I just realized we don't have an Pokemon X/Y thread here. Anyone playing?

I've just finished the grass gym and I'm having a great time, though I'll admit the new Ace Attorney game has been stealing my affections.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I started, but put it aside temporarily while I tore through another game. I should finish that one tonight, then back to Pokemon. I only got as far as the really big city. It's still in a blackout.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
It takes ageeesss to un-blackout that place. I'm a few hours ahead of you and I'm only just reaching that part of the story.

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Everything I've heard is that this is a ridiculously long game if you let it be. It's so easy to level your team. I usually only bother to get one of the early bug types evolved. Four hours in, and I have all three.

Also, omg so many fire types. Fire, fire everywhere! I took Fennikin knowing that I was also going to take Charmander when the option arose (Charizard all the way), and then the first bird ends up being fire/flying and there's the fire lion cub. I'm just like "Can I just be a gym leader?"

Dysnomia

Drowning in the depthless sea
Registered
Reaction score
I was just thinking a few days ago of starting a thread about Pokemon XY since there wasn't one.... So thank you for starting it!

Yeap, the game feels pretty long. Also, with how they upped the levels of the gyms (have not played Black 2 & White 2 so don't know if this was done then too) makes it feel longer to me too lol.

I just completed the story and suddenly... Feels like I have nothing to do now (even though there's still a bunch of stuff to be done).

And yes, sooo many fire types. All in all, awesome game! Loved the visuals. :D

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Oh yes, there's definitely a fire surplus. I have a Fennekin too, had to pick Squirtle because of that but I'm slightly disappointed because now I'll have to buy the Y exclusive evo rock.

I also got the special edition Torchic you get just for going online and it looks awesome, I feel bad not using it.

Dysnomia

Registered
Reaction score
Same here! I had a Fennekin and so decided to pick Squirtle (also because it was my starter in Yellow). I love the Torchic family to bits so I had to include it on my team (making half my team fire-types ....).

Btw, what's that 'Y exclusive evo rock' you speak of? o_____O

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I've been fighting with every internet connection possible to get online with my 3DS. So far, no luck. No luck with the streetpass either. All I've gotten are two Super Mario Land 3D things.

What are your teams so far? I've got Fennekin's evolved form, Flabebe, Kadabra, Charmeleon, the new bug type's 3rd form, and that cute grass goat. I'm feeling like Fennekin's leading towards Fire/Psychic, in which case Kadabra will probably get dumped for something else. The bug probably doesn't have much longer either. Flabebe's just for trying out the fairy type.

Dysnomia

Registered
Reaction score
I use my university's wifi and was absolutely amazed with how you could connect with people around the world(!!) from your 3DS. It was pretty cool. (First time going online for Pokemon hahaha)

I have a Delphox (final evolution of Fennekin) and yes it's fire/psychic type! Blaziken, Pikachu, Blastoise and am still contemplating between Talonflame (Fletchinder's final evo) and Yveltal. I have one more slot for another pokemon, and I still don't know which Pokemon that will be :\ (throughout the journey that slot was filled up by Lucario but I finally decided to drop him)

Did you guys EV train your pokemon?

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Sweet, I'll hold onto Kadabra for now until I find something to replace it with. IIRC, the next gym sounded like a fighting type one, so it'll be handy through that. (I've been trying my best to avoid spoilers. I didn't even know what any new pokemon were before I started aside from the starters and the two cover legendaries.)

Dysnomia

Registered
Reaction score
Haha, yeah I've been trying to avoid spoilers too. But I've seen a couple from the funny Pokemon Pages on Facebook. And after defeating about a third of the gyms, I finally gave in to looking at serebii.net to see if my predictions of the gym types were true. (You can easily find them out just by looking at the Town Map...!)

How's the game going for you, so far?

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I use my university's wifi and was absolutely amazed with how you could connect with people around the world(!!) from your 3DS. It was pretty cool. (First time going online for Pokemon hahaha)

I have a Delphox (final evolution of Fennekin) and yes it's fire/psychic type! Blaziken, Pikachu, Blastoise and am still contemplating between Talonflame (Fletchinder's final evo) and Yveltal. I have one more slot for another pokemon, and I still don't know which Pokemon that will be :\ (throughout the journey that slot was filled up by Lucario but I finally decided to drop him)

Did you guys EV train your pokemon?

Oooh, nice. Party. I've got Delphox, Lucario, Aerodactyl (for Fly, Strength), Blastoise (Surf), Scyther (Cut/False Swipe), and a Pikachu who's nearly at the level I want to evolve him at.

I'm EV training through the minigames casually. I have no patience for the formal process (I farmed audinos back in the last gen, that's about it) but the Training minigames are pretty good.

Dysnomia

Registered
Reaction score
Oooh, nice. Party. I've got Delphox, Lucario, Aerodactyl (for Fly, Strength), Blastoise (Surf), Scyther (Cut/False Swipe), and a Pikachu who's nearly at the level I want to evolve him at.

I'm EV training through the minigames casually. I have no patience for the formal process (I farmed audinos back in the last gen, that's about it) but the Training minigames are pretty good.

Nice party too! And it's more balanced than mine is.

Ahh all right. I'm also EV training through Super Training... Never EV trained before.

No other Pokemon trainers here? :(

Dysnomia

Registered
Reaction score
I don't even know what EV training is, so...no, I did not. I think.

EV (Effort Value) training is kind of like manipulating your pokemon's stats. Certain pokemon you fight against gives various EVs. 4 EV points (I think) gives you one stat point.

So for example, for your Fennekin, since its a fire/psychic type, you will most likely want its Sp. Attack stat to be really high. So you'll fight against pokemon that will give you EV points that only boost your Sp. Attack stat. This way, instead of having your stat points all at random (when you don't EV train), your Sp. Attack stat is the highest and it will deal higher damages as well. This EV training also depends on what nature your pokemon has. Certain natures decreases one stat (e.g Def) and increases another (e.g HP) and so you'll have to take into account of that.

For Pokemon X/Y, we have the Super Training to help as well, so this kinda makes EV training easier.

Well, this is the simplified version of what EV training is anyway :\ (and I might be wrong in some parts... Not too sure myself either) It basically makes your pokemon stronger in one aspect--the aspect its best suited for--and helps mainly if you're going for competitive stuff like battling other players. If not, you're fine without it. If you'd like more details, a Google search would help. EV training is a various tedious thing @_@ and makes Pokemon seem a whole lot more complicated.

I'm sure there are others. Maybe they're just too busy playing pokemon to come to the thread? :tongue

Awwww :( It's great to meet you two!! Fellow AWers who play Pokemon!!

Last edited:

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
PETA member traumatized by Pokemon

"After a brief argument, I was able to wrestle my daughter’s Nintendo away from her and broke it in half. I flushed that horrible Pokemon game down the toilet with my cat’s droppings. I’ve banned her from any video games and anything Pokemon-related and told her that she’s never going to see the boy who bought the game for her ever again. And I’ll be home schooling her from now on."

Dysnomia

Registered
Reaction score

So.... Like the few commenters on that site, I hope that piece of "news" is a joke....

As for the broken 3DS... Whoever (assuming that piece of news is fake and that picture isn't photoshopped by anyone) broke that just wasted 200 bucks. The 3DS could have been used to play other games :\.... Or donated to other kids.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
As for the broken 3DS... Whoever (assuming that piece of news is fake and that picture isn't photoshopped by anyone) broke that just wasted 200 bucks. The 3DS could have been used to play other games :\.... Or donated to other kids.

And risk turning other kids into serial killers, or worse, animal abusers? :p

Dysnomia

Registered
Reaction score
And risk turning other kids into serial killers, or worse, animal abusers? :p

The 3DS could be used to play other games like Disney Princesses or something.... :\

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a Pokemon Trainer! Over here! Me! -leaps and jumps and sticks hand way in the air-

Ahem. What does everybody think of the Mega Evos? Some of them are kinda wasted of random Pokemon, eh?

Dysnomia

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a Pokemon Trainer! Over here! Me! -leaps and jumps and sticks hand way in the air-

Ahem. What does everybody think of the Mega Evos? Some of them are kinda wasted of random Pokemon, eh?

Hello there!!! What's your team like? And how far are you in the game?

Hmm I don't know. I'm not really bothered by them so I haven't thought much about them :\ The Mega Evos seem pretty overpowered to me so far. Which is good, I guess. Anything stronger would be better to me lololol. If a Pokemon has it--bonus! OTOH, I haven't gotten round to catching much Pokemon so... I just have my team's Mega Evos to stick with. Do you know if there are gonna be more Mega Evos in the next few games?

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
My team is still in early stages.. I got my Finnekin, Charmeleon and Combuskin leveling up, with Char to be my main in the team.. for the other three, I want to get a Mawile, Lucario and still debating on the sixth slot.. I only just got through..ohh... what's it called.. I can't remember. The little town with the Snorlax blocking the road.. Camphir? I've been tardy with the game because after I got through there, and did stuff in the mansion, I went to go battle the Snorlax and forgot to save and of course, soft resetted to retry and lost an hours worth of playing and catching and so I put the game down gently before throwing it to the wall.

I suspect I will be calling in sick/going home tomorrow halfway through work so I may either take the extra time to catch up or revise.. whichever my brain explodes less doing.

Dysnomia

Registered
Reaction score
My team is still in early stages.. I got my Finnekin, Charmeleon and Combuskin leveling up, with Char to be my main in the team.. for the other three, I want to get a Mawile, Lucario and still debating on the sixth slot.. I only just got through..ohh... what's it called.. I can't remember. The little town with the Snorlax blocking the road.. Camphir? I've been tardy with the game because after I got through there, and did stuff in the mansion, I went to go battle the Snorlax and forgot to save and of course, soft resetted to retry and lost an hours worth of playing and catching and so I put the game down gently before throwing it to the wall.

I suspect I will be calling in sick/going home tomorrow halfway through work so I may either take the extra time to catch up or revise.. whichever my brain explodes less doing.

Ahh all right! Looks like so far, everyone's starter is Fennekin! Perhaps your last Pokemon should be a flying type! That will come in handy later. (Unless you're going to teach Charizard Fly)

Oh yes, Snorlax. I almost forgot to save. Thankfully I did in the end. Sorry that you had to lose those hours, though :\

Play Pokemon tomorrow! :D :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.