MMORPG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadia Divine

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for an MMORPG to play and I want some suggestions or games that you liked. I refuse play one that costs something a month on top of 60 USD. Although I have no problem paying 60 USD if that's all I have to pay. I'm already playing Guild Wars 2 and Rift. I've played Star Wars in the past and I refuse to go back to World of Warcraft.

NateSean

Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Minecraft. It's simple, fun, and you only need to pay for it once. You can literally lose an entire day playing single player. It's one of those things I have to limit myself on or else I'll wind up in the news because I starved to death. (It'd be months before I'd be in any real danger, but still.)

Raivnor

Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried the Secret World yet? It's a more modern setting, so it stands out. It has no monthly fee and it has quests that involve actual thinking and puzzle solving.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
Minecraft. It's simple, fun, and you only need to pay for it once. You can literally lose an entire day playing single player. It's one of those things I have to limit myself on or else I'll wind up in the news because I starved to death. (It'd be months before I'd be in any real danger, but still.)

I don't thin Minecraft can be considered an MMORPG...

Also, how much "fun" it is depends on the person. If you love chopping at trees, rocks, and dirt, then you will enjoy it. For me it has no story, characters or anything to pull me in. XD

elinor

Registered
Reaction score
Well... Diablo3 is free-to-play. But I feel icky recommending anything by Blizzard. Have you seen any of the youtube videos for Wildstar? I'm pretty excited about it, and plan on picking it up when it comes out. If you like science fiction, humor, and Firefly, you'll probably like Wildstar.

Arcadia Divine

Registered
Reaction score
Well... Diablo3 is free-to-play. But I feel icky recommending anything by Blizzard. Have you seen any of the youtube videos for Wildstar? I'm pretty excited about it, and plan on picking it up when it comes out. If you like science fiction, humor, and Firefly, you'll probably like Wildstar.

I played Diablo 3 and yeah. It's pretty and that's about it for me.

Edit: If I beat a 60 dollar game in 6 or 7 hours and wondered what now, it tells me something about the company.

Last edited:

Arcadia Divine

Registered
Reaction score
I signed up for the wildstar beta. That game looks fantastic! Hopefully I get chosen before its release.

NateSean

Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I don't thin Minecraft can be considered an MMORPG...

If you play it online the "RP" aspect is mostly decided by whoever owns/creates the server you play on.

For me it has no story, characters or anything to pull me in. XD

There's a dragon somewhere. But the main fun of it is in seeing how creative you can get with buildings and various structures.

BMajor

Probably judging you.
Registered
Reaction score
I thought Defiance was fun. AND it's not sub based. I sort of over played it though.. was in the beta and watched the show with it, which was kind of cool. I hardly play it anymore because LIFE but it was cool with friends :) the arkfall events can be both overwhelming and annoying, but there is so much stuff to do, holy moly.

Arcadia Divine

Registered
Reaction score
I thought Defiance was fun. AND it's not sub based. I sort of over played it though.. was in the beta and watched the show with it, which was kind of cool. I hardly play it anymore because LIFE but it was cool with friends :) the arkfall events can be both overwhelming and annoying, but there is so much stuff to do, holy moly.

Defiance is made by the same people as rift right? I hear about it but I never actually checked it out.

BMajor

Probably judging you.
Registered
Reaction score
Arcadia: Yep! Played RIFT for quite a while before it went F2P. Still miss it :) You can see some influence in Defiance but they've done well to create an entirely different atmosphere

I think they still do Friday Livestream Extravaganzas every Friday, where they stream some RIFT and Defiance - check out some Defiance play :)

ETA: http://www.twitch.tv/trionworlds
Aw man, I think they're on a little break from doing that for the time being :/

Lady Chipmunk

Nut in Search of Rodents
Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried the Secret World yet? It's a more modern setting, so it stands out. It has no monthly fee and it has quests that involve actual thinking and puzzle solving.

I'm going to second this recommendation. I'm not a MMO player at heart, but this one is a lot of fun. There are plenty of solo and group-based options, and the quests are fun and, if you like the horror or urban fantasy genres, pretty slyly trope-tastic as well.

Primus

Del Lago
Registered
Reaction score
Well, you like LOTR (or you have an odd way of viewing LeBron's championship loss), so why not LOTRO? I've heard it's one of the better F2P games. Then again, a lot people don't seem to enjoy F2P MMO's on account of them excluding so many features that require payment(s) to unlock. SWTOR is a prime example. Are you one of those people?

[On a side note, because I know we're all thinking this: Space Jam remake with LeBron. Lets start that petition people. Lets start something that matters.]

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I got the Secret World because the quest design sounds really interesting.

I have to say, I've always had a fan of those "every single conspiracy theory is true" alternate universes, like the X-Files.

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
LOTRO is fun, and beautiful, and it's reasonable easy to play. And of course it is F2P unless you want to go VIP. But I haven't and I have enjoyed it quite a bit. It is a pain in the ass trying to get Turbine Points to buy anything, but all in all it's a fun game.

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
I'll second (or third) LOTRO. The graphics and story are really excellent. You do get enough (IMO) time to play free so that you can really decide if you like it before paying -- and you don't ever really HAVE to pay, but if you like it, you're likely to at some point...

dantefrizzoli

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I really like Rift for the F2P games. I had purchased the game in its Beta state, played it for 3 months, and then quit. I did not go back to it until it went to F2P, and it is the same as it was before it was free. I like it, and I will most likely always stay with it.

Guild Wars 2 is also all right if you want something easy and story driven.

cruellae

The evil twin; plotting
Registered
Reaction score

The Secret World is one of my favorite MMOs ever, and trust me, I have played quite a few. It was so different in such an elegant way, and as a writer you'll definitely appreciate the writing in the game, both the dialogue and lore.

I played this a lot when it came out, but haven't been back in a while. Is there new stuff to do? I've been thinking about going back.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
I'm going to second this recommendation. I'm not a MMO player at heart, but this one is a lot of fun. There are plenty of solo and group-based options, and the quests are fun and, if you like the horror or urban fantasy genres, pretty slyly trope-tastic as well.

Is it still good later on?

I would really love trying this one out since the premise sounds fantastic.

I'm still playing WOW and just recently started getting into GW2.

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
I started playing LotRO in oβ, until about 2 years ago. It is a great game, and for fans of LotR, it's just about perfect. I don't like how Turbine has handled the F2P model, especially under WB leadership.

It just rings of money-grubbing to me, and they've dumbed the game down exceptionally (I got a minstrel to level cap before we had that newfangled War-Speech :D). When I step in these days, I hardly even recognize it.

But for someone who's new to the game, I expect that it's pretty awesome. Graphics are a bit old maybe, but other than that . . .

Personally, I'm playing Turbine's other game right now, DDO. It's harder to get the Turbine Points, but it's a more solid game IMO. (If any of you play, I'm on Cannith).

dantefrizzoli

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I started playing LotRO in oβ, until about 2 years ago. It is a great game, and for fans of LotR, it's just about perfect. I don't like how Turbine has handled the F2P model, especially under WB leadership.

It just rings of money-grubbing to me, and they've dumbed the game down exceptionally (I got a minstrel to level cap before we had that newfangled War-Speech :D). When I step in these days, I hardly even recognize it.

But for someone who's new to the game, I expect that it's pretty awesome. Graphics are a bit old maybe, but other than that . . .

Personally, I'm playing Turbine's other game right now, DDO. It's harder to get the Turbine Points, but it's a more solid game IMO. (If any of you play, I'm on Cannith).

LotR Online was an all right game when it first came out, but as you said the graphics are far behind the times. The good thing about the game is they made it easier to navigate and use the UI. For a new player it would be an easier introduction then games such as Rift or Star Wars Online.

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Agreed. LOTRO is a great game for people starting out on MMOs. But I must say, when I got to Moria I didn't find it as challenging as I thought it should be. In fact, my lvl 54 hobbit mini just walked through it at one point straight to Lothlorien. I am not saying that the game is not fun, or too easy. I just found that it is not as challenging at some points. Then again, if you take a lvl 30 into Evendim, or a 35 into forochel, you're in for a heap of a challenge. It just depends I guess on how you play.

dantefrizzoli

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Yea, and if you want something that went from difficult to overcome obstacles to easy to play, and you do not mind wasting 15 bucks a month, you can do World of Warcraft. However, Rift is still one of my favorite games for the storyline.

Juzzy

Pancakes.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't like how Turbine has handled the F2P model, especially under WB leadership.

It just rings of money-grubbing to me

Sounds like EA/BioWares running of Star Wars: The Old Republic. I'd still recommend it, though, if you don't mind paying $15 a month (The F2P is boned though, in my opinion.)

Also Final Fantasy XIV: Realm Reborn (if you like JRPGs). Can get a little bit grindy when you get close to the level cap, though. But it looks god damn amazing, in my opinion and is pretty fun if you're playing it with friends. You can also fish, like, actually go fishing. For Fish. And you can mine, and chop down trees. That blew my mind when I first played it.

Status
Not open for further replies.