Man Finds $30,000 "Magic" Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
https://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugg...-deck--finds-rare--30-000-card-180316368.html

Okay, so it's not a video game, but it's still a cool video and I didn't know where else to put it. Basically this guy is a collector who had an unopened pack of Magic: the Gathering cards from the Alpha series, and someone convinced him to open it on camera. He did, and discovered that he's been sitting on the single most valuable collector card in the entire set.

A non-mint Black Lotus card sold for nearly 30K last year, and his is pristine. So score one for all the "don't open my collectibles!" nerds out there.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Love his comments at the end where he's trying so hard to keep his language clean because he's on live feed but really wants to say, "Holy Sh!t" :roll:

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
The worst part for him is that it was a live opening for the purpose of GIVING the cards, including the rare card to a random commenter. I don't know how to get around that one to sell it himself.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Man, I wish my cards hadn't been destroyed in one of my many moves.

I had a full Alpha set that I was planning to hold on to in near mint condition. Black Lotus, all the Mox Gems, etc. In the 90s, I moved to a new apartment almost every 6 months, and water got into the case. A few years ago when my son got into Magic, I went looking for my old cards and found they had gotten wet and were just a big pile of mold.

I guess that's why they go for so much, huh?

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
He was giving away one uncommon card from the deck to a commenter (pretty sure just one) and the rares he kept himself. And not to be a party pooper but there's quite a few listed on ebay for various prices. The whole 30K card thing is a tough game. Maybe one person sold it a few months ago for that, but it's been a tough game to see it again. The same card from the same Alpha series/set is listed for 26K. Mint, graded and signed by the original illustrator. Sure you can sell it for 26K but if you want that price, you need to sit on it for a long time before the million dollar buyer comes along. (I sell a lot of collectibles on the side. It's a rough playground). That said, I definitely get that rush when you find something when its so elusive and he must be feeling fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.