AC: Unity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Did anyone get it? I've been reading that it's having pretty bad frame rate issues on next gen consoles.

Perhaps they rushed it out too fast?

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard nothing about it except that it has framerate issues.

Let's just say that it's a pretty bad port to PC, and it's best played on PC and it still runs like crap (15fps cut scenes FTW, right? 25fps average no matter what, right?)

Same ol', same ol' Assassin's Creed. You either want more of the same stuff you had before but with co-op (if you're lucky as servers have been going down), or you don't want to play the same stuff any more.

I enjoyed Assassin's Creed 1, and Black Flag. I think I'll wait a few more years to jump in again.

Also, Ubisoft is really pushing microtransactions and the companion app. Enough that it crippled the core gameplay so you either have to work to get the typical moves and tools, or you pay (and you can pay for better items, many of them are too expensive in-game so if you want them, you'll have to pay).

Last edited:

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
So, if I wanted to pick up an AC game and have never played one before, which one would I get?

Osulagh

Registered
Reaction score
So, if I wanted to pick up an AC game and have never played one before, which one would I get?

Where it started: The first. It's an excellent game in its own right, but then you get into the repetition of the others. It's also the cheapest (on sale, like $3-5). Most of the time, the other games are the same thing with tweaks here and there. The ones I would aim for in order: 1, 4 (Black Flag, actually a fun game), 2 + Brotherhood, 3. Revelations and the others are more for fans who need more.

If you're wanting to play on your incoming PC, wait for a Steam Sale (I don't remember if I saw them there last time. There's problems with Ubisoft and Steam, so...). The next Steam Sale should be in the last week of November, and a holiday sale at the last week of the year.

MrCasperTom

Registered
Reaction score
Where it started: The first. It's an excellent game in its own right, but then you get into the repetition of the others. It's also the cheapest (on sale, like $3-5). Most of the time, the other games are the same thing with tweaks here and there. The ones I would aim for in order: 1, 4 (Black Flag, actually a fun game), 2 + Brotherhood, 3. Revelations and the others are more for fans who need more.

Wait. You would recommend number 1 over others because the others are repetitive? While the story of 1 is decent and should be played because its the first it was by far the most boring and repetitive in my opinion. Go here, talk to a person, do a number of task, go back to person, kill target. Rinse and repeat. That was the entire game with very little variation (or even actual sneaky assassination things).

Personally I say play 1 as it is the first game then play 2. If the change of format (and it is a pretty big change IMO) doesn't do it for you then just pick whichever one you prefer.

Osulagh

Registered
Reaction score
Wait. You would recommend number 1 over others because the others are repetitive? While the story of 1 is decent and should be played because its the first it was by far the most boring and repetitive in my opinion. Go here, talk to a person, do a number of task, go back to person, kill target. Rinse and repeat. That was the entire game with very little variation (or even actual sneaky assassination things).

Personally I say play 1 as it is the first game then play 2.

I recommended playing the first because it's the first, like you did. The others repeat the basic formula. And all Assasin's Creed game are repetitive; what killed Black Flag from being one of my favorite games last year was you went from the awesome ship combat and hunting to the same boring, repetitive missions like all Assasin's Creed games.

Last edited:

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Funny how they declared they wouldn't do an AC in feudal Japan because it was an overused setting, and then launched a game that's more of the same.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
AC2 is much, much better than AC1, and you don't really need to have played the first to understand what's going on.

Don't get me wrong - I loved AC1, and despite the limited mechanics (which they nailed in AC2), there are some unforgettable moments in it.

Morri

Registered
Reaction score
I played AC2 first because I wanted to know why my brother was walking around the house saying 'Leonardo da Vinci' in a terrible Italian accent. Then I went back and played the first and I could barely get through it, even though I love Altair's character. AC2 improved on everything from the first. Like onesecondglance said, you don't need AC1 to understand it.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've only got about 5 hours into Unity, but I haven't noticed any problems with frame rate or anything like that. I have noticed a few more NPCs walking about in trees, but nothing worse than the previous AC games. But, then, the only games I have on my PS4 are AC: Unity and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor, so I'm not sure if having that extra space on the hard drive makes any difference at all.

If you're starting the franchise totally new, I'd say to pick the time/place in history that most interests you. The framing story is nicely recapped at the start of every game, so that's not a big issue. History is AC's playground--play where you'll enjoy first, and then, if you like the game play and the story, look at the other games. Some you'll like better than others, likely. It's all good.

Myself, I'm enjoying Unity thus far, though I'm not used to the stealth button stuff (I don't play a lot of games), so I need to practice that. A lot. Especially before I start going for co-op.

I've also decided that I'm not dealing with the app stuff or any of that bull. I don't own a smart phone and I'm not buying one for game-tie-ins. Ubisoft can bite that as far as I'm concerned. Anything that doesn't come with what I've already paid for, I'll just deal without. And if the game centers too much on that stuff, then they've lost a long-time pre-order customer who's not shy about explaining why the game started to suck Gibraltar through a bar straw, y'know? They already lost my money with Rogue, after all.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Thx for the replies, apparently I either start with the first even though it's not that good but because it's the first or I jump right in at the 2nd.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I love the first one, FWIW. I've replayed it about a dozen times, more than any of the other games. But, then, I'm weird. It was my first-ever video game and all the repetition people complain about was a great boon to me and I'm sentimental. It also has a very good redemption story, maybe the best storytelling in any of the games (though I do adore Ezio), which is why I replay it so often.

For those who find it repetitive, at any point you can turn off the mini-map and make finding things markedly harder to add a little more challenge to the game.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Thx for the replies, apparently I either start with the first even though it's not that good but because it's the first or I jump right in at the 2nd.

When I first got into the series, I started with AC2 (right when it came out). I played AC1 later and it was good, but I think AC2 is better and I didn't feel like I was lost or anything for having played it first.

I think AC1, AC2, and AC: Brotherhood are my favorites. the rest are "okay" but the formula has become rather tired for me. They're still good, though.

Kayley

Someday.
Registered
Reaction score
AC2 is much, much better than AC1, and you don't really need to have played the first to understand what's going on.

Don't get me wrong - I loved AC1, and despite the limited mechanics (which they nailed in AC2), there are some unforgettable moments in it.

I started with the second one and am glad I did; I loved it. It actually inspired the setting in one of my books because I thought it was so beautiful. Starting with the second would definitely be my recommendation as well, though I'm sure you'd also be fine with the first.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
My favourite parts of AC1 were the ones in Abstergo. Really surprised and delighted me.

Those are the moments that all future instalments have lacked, for me.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree that they dropped the ball on the present-day story in the other games, except for Brotherhood. It was nice playing Desmond as a real character. They tried for the same thing in AC3, but I didn't feel it. Now--I've only seen one present day bit in AC:U, and my only thought was "At least Rebecca looks human this time." And it is nice to get the little Shaun comments in the database in this one. :D

Morri

Registered
Reaction score
Well, from what I've heard about AC Unity, I think I'm going to hold off on getting it. I don't even have a PS4 yet, so buying both isn't very appealing. I wish it had a better release.

Cwright

Mmm... Mexican Food
Registered
Reaction score
Unity is pretty good. It is very dense. There are so many more buildings and people in the world than in previous titles. Framerate hasn't been an issue on the Xone for me after the first day or so. Occasionally a corpse will flop around on the ground, but not too often. And honestly, it is pretty hilarious when it happens so it doesn't bug me much.

What does bug me is that they've taken a step back with the weapons. You can no longer just pick a weapon off of an enemy you've killed. So there isn't a ton of variety in this game.

If you are a fan of AC, you'll like it. It does well with co-op and creating a dense world. I haven't spent a dime of real money in this game either to get the top tier items. You can get most of those from playing the co-op missions (which has matchmaking). You can rent it from Redbox now too.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I've had no problems getting top tier weapons and armor either. I've just done tons of the crowd missions and have been rewarded with a lot of good armor, and lots of money when they run out of good stuff. Solving the murder mysteries yields the better weapons (better weapons for higher difficulty missions). Co-op will fill in the rest of it.

I don't even own a smart phone or tablet, so there's no playing the Nomad stuff here, but I don't think I've missed much by not doing it.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Season Pass canceled

For those of you who haven't heard (I didn't until today), Ubisoft has stopped selling season passes to UC:U and given the first packet to everyone who owns the game.

This is an apology from the CEO of Ubisoft Montreal for the problems with the game:

“I want to sincerely apologize on behalf of Ubisoft and the entire Assassin’s Creed team,” writes Ubisoft Montreal CEO Yannis Mallat in a new blog post. “These problems took away from your enjoyment of the game, and kept many of you from experiencing the game at its fullest potential.”

As a further recompense, Ubisoft is offering a number of titles for free to anyone who purchased the season pass prior to this post. The titles are:

• The Crew
  • Far Cry 4
  • Watch Dogs
  • Assassin’s Creed Black Flag
  • Rayman Legends
  • Just Dance 2015
Here's a link to the [FONT=&quot]FAQs[/FONT] for more information.
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score

A bit late to the party, but I suggest you start straight off with AC:2. AC2 is one of my favourite games of all time, the atmosphere and feel is superb, soundtrack is incredible (perfect for writing too!) and it gets you straight in the action. :)

You can start off with AC1 as well, great game too, but AC2 takes the cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.