Closed.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you could use any piece of technology from a science fiction movie or video game. What would it be and why would you use it?

Man, I've thought about this in the past and the answer has always been the same: a Star Trek transporter. The ability to beam from one place and to another within seconds would be so useful.

Of course, if we had them there would probably be issues with people's atoms getting scrambled and you'd no doubt have to go to a transporting station to utilize the service and it would be expensive as hell and you'd have to make reservations and limit what you bring with you and there would be long lines and lots of waiting --

Wait a minute, I just described present-day air travel (minus the atom-scrambling part). Never mind.

AndreF

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If you could use any piece of technology from a science fiction movie or video game. What would it be and why would you use it?

Man, I've thought about this in the past and the answer has always been the same: a Star Trek transporter. The ability to beam from one place and to another within seconds would be so useful.

Of course, if we had them there would probably be issues with people's atoms getting scrambled and you'd no doubt have to go to a transporting station to utilize the service and it would be expensive as hell and you'd have to make reservations and limit what you bring with you and there would be long lines and lots of waiting --

Wait a minute, I just described present-day air travel (minus the atom-scrambling part). Never mind.

For some reason the book "Thing Air" comes to mind ... military experimenting with the technology and people getting melded with walls.

You're absolutely right though. It does sound like modern day air travel ... if things were to go that way.

Thank you for taking the time to answer that question. If you answered it on your blog would you mind if linked to it?

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
Reminds me of The Fly.... i.e. a fly getting into the transporter and the fly and the humans atoms getting mixed up along the way.

I only read the story, I never saw the film.

That's one piece of technology I probably wouldn't trust if it existed. I wouldn't trust that the human that stepped out of the transporter really was me... as in what if I died when my atoms were scrambled, and then a totally new person was formed when they were put together again... a new person with my memories in their head (because they're the result of how the neurons in the brain are assembled). But no-one would know, because they'd look and behave just like me. But I'd be dead and gone, no longer conscious. The replica of me would have a new consciousness. People would be killing themselves in this way and creating new people in their place, and no-one would know.