Space Marine and Dragonwrangler Bar & Grill

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Aha - two birds, one stone. I had considered the English Civil War, but that conflict has more to do with the extent to which the King was able to exercise personal authority in the governance of the state. Parliament was not happy about that, and so....

No, I was thinking of a theologically-motivated conflict in the sense of "you are no longer fit to rule because your interpretation of this holy book - which forms the basis of our legal and governmental systems - is not in accordance with ours. When it comes to the state religion, you're doing it wrong, and therefore you must go."

My suspicion - although, again, I confess my ignorance - is that the clearest examples of this are to be found somewhere in Islamic parts of the world, either with the usurption or founding of caliphates, or in more sectarian divides such as that between Shia and Sunni interpretations of Islam.

Does that clarify things?

BM

I am aware of no circumstances in which a theological disagreement led to a revolution or rebellion against a sitting government. But then, I find it impossible to define an argument as theological - academic versus economic, power-based, etc - when it comes to government. :Shrug: Sorry.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
No, I was thinking of a theologically-motivated conflict in the sense of "you are no longer fit to rule because your interpretation of this holy book - which forms the basis of our legal and governmental systems - is not in accordance with ours. When it comes to the state religion, you're doing it wrong, and therefore you must go."

Ah yes, I see.

Er, what about the Catholic schism, does that fit? Hmm, no. What about the German Peasants War of 1524?

Andelana

Secret Stick-Figure Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
He loves that, btw :)

Heh. That's really the only bird noise I can make. :) I had a parakeet called Kara for almost 9 years and she and I used to twitter back and forth like that. She was lovely; just a green and yellow one, but had a sweet disposition. She liked to sit on my head and preen my bangs/fringe and her very, very favourite food was scrambled eggs! She also loved to sit on the curtain rods and dance all around to Poison and Bon Jovi and Alice Cooper. :)

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
Heh. That's really the only bird noise I can make. :) I had a parakeet called Kara for almost 9 years and she and I used to twitter back and forth like that. She was lovely; just a green and yellow one, but had a sweet disposition. She liked to sit on my head and preen my bangs/fringe and her very, very favourite food was scrambled eggs! She also loved to sit on the curtain rods and dance all around to Poison and Bon Jovi and Alice Cooper. :)

You fed a bird eggs...?!

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
About the theocracy... mmm...

I was remembering Persepolis and the comment on Iran having overthrown the Shah falling into fundamentalism as a backlash of the perceived westernization and secularization of the Shah's rule as a matter not entirely theological but more as a form of nationalism and cultural heritage and the creation and abuse of an elite after the demise of an old one.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Ruining my illusions.

No. I think this is called 'education'. :D

Er, have you never had the opportunity to see a Foghorn Leghorn cartoon Liosse? They feature a character called Henery Hawk a lot of the time, he's a chicken hawk.

In this country, we have sparrowhawks. Must have got their names from somewhere.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Nice. Blueberry loves yogurt. He used to get lots of junky treats but I substituted healthy things.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Our local community college is offering photography classes. Although I'm interested, I don't know if I feel like spending the $80. Plus, I always end up being the youngest person attending these things, which makes me feel awkward.

Heh.

Ion, Blueberry has an appointment on Monday with an avian board certified vet.
Oh good, Fen. Glad you found a certified vet. :)

What kind of bird is he again?

Ruining my illusions.

Not only crows, but magpies and jays will raid nests.

I should work on my chapter some more, but I'm tired. Maybe I'll try after dinner. If not, I have tomorrow off.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Blueberry is a budgie.

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
Listening to the BSG soundtracks has filled my mind with two things:

1) I really want to write some kind of complex, high-concept science fiction novel.
2) Why is the UK's version of the show's main title theme so much worse than America's version?

Andelana

Secret Stick-Figure Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
You fed a bird eggs...?!

:evil

Many birds will eat the eggs of smaller species or pinch them for food for their chicks. We see it around here every Spring, the crows pinch pigeon eggs for their own chicks. Lots of protein and vitamins in eggs.

This. Plus, OMG, dinosaur descendants! Kara was my itty-bitty dinosaur. :)

Nice. Blueberry loves yogurt. He used to get lots of junky treats but I substituted healthy things.

Cool... I never thought of giving her yoghurt. Then again, we never had it in the house when I was young. :) (Dunno why...)

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
On Monday, a wise woman told me to take a writing break.

Now, I'm hurrying through my work to get to plotting :Shrug:

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Listening to the BSG soundtracks has filled my mind with two things:

1) I really want to write some kind of complex, high-concept science fiction novel.
2) Why is the UK's version of the show's main title theme so much worse than America's version?

Every time the topic of new theme songs in foreign releases pops up, I feel compelled showing the Mexican Spider-Man theme song from the 60's cartoon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIoTtl0FDAY

It's both awful and awesome.

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
Morning all. Kittens spent their first week out, allowed to roam the house at night.

No messes, or at least none I've found, so I call this a success.

Funny thing happened yesterday - I was at work, serving a customer, when a group of paramedics walked by. Nothing unusual about that, but the student they had on placement with them was a second year I know.

But I don't know her all that well, so I was sort of stuck in that limbo where you just stare at someone's face trying to place it. It was a bit awkward

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We need kitteh video.

And I'm careful not to give too much yogurt but I'm also now remembering I have some wheat contaminated yogurt I can give to the chickens.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Tomorrow is chocolate fiesta day people. Looks like it might be too cold to go down the pub for chocolate. Luckily, I already got a supply in so I can eat and drink here.

Status
Not open for further replies.