Middling It

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Just got an e-mail short-listing me at DSF. This is the third story in a row to get 2nd-rounded there, and the other two were ultimately rejected. Third time's the charm, right? (*fingers crossed*)

One can only hope! Good luck! :)

kd1984

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.oneperfectword.blogspot.com
My story slipped from received to under review over at ST last night. Out at 51 days and doing some SERIOUS rejectomancy because there have been Rs for stories at fewer days than that. But I should know better than to do this because it has never been fruitful in the past. BUT I'M A GLUTTON FOR PUNISHMENT.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck kd, and good luck Brynn - especially third time round. It's great you're getting through so regularly - you'd think you'll crack it one day.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
And just as I head off to play Santa, I find my latest sub to ASIM has been bumped to second round. A nice way to finish off Christmas Eve. :D

W.L. Marks

Registered
Reaction score
So my story at OSC's Intergalactic is sitting at 157 days. I queried a couple of months ago, so I know it's with the editor, but I'm just about to pop from sheer hopefulness. POP I tell you. I'd love to send them an e-mail explaining how much I truly love them and how I would be willing to change everything that they might possibly not like about the story and how I would even send them brownies or my firstborn if that would help them decide...ugghh...but I'm trying so hard for professionalism instead of desperate and crazy. It's just that I love this piece and I so want it to see the light of published day, and it's humongously long for a short story so I don't know where else to send it. *takes deep breath*

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So my story at OSC's Intergalactic is sitting at 157 days. I queried a couple of months ago, so I know it's with the editor, but I'm just about to pop from sheer hopefulness. POP I tell you. I'd love to send them an e-mail explaining how much I truly love them and how I would be willing to change everything that they might possibly not like about the story and how I would even send them brownies or my firstborn if that would help them decide...ugghh...but I'm trying so hard for professionalism instead of desperate and crazy. It's just that I love this piece and I so want it to see the light of published day, and it's humongously long for a short story so I don't know where else to send it. *takes deep breath*

Hang in there! Edmund Schubert recently let a bunch of us who're sitting in their consideration pile know that he should be making final decisions in the first two weeks of January, and to query if we don't hear back by January 15th.

Good luck!

W.L. Marks

Registered
Reaction score
Ooooo...Thanks, Alex! That's great news. And do you have a story there too? If so, best of luck!

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Good luck, fellow middlers! I've got a couple that I'm hopeful for, notably a second-rounder at Stupefying Stories that's getting up there in days. It would please me to no end to make a last minute sale to close out the year (although starting the next one with a sale would be quite nice as well ;) ).

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Starting the new year waiting on these places.

McSweeney's Quarterly -- 206 days
Opium Magazine -- 202 days
Zoetrope: All-Story -- 184 days
Granta -- 136 days
Black Warrior Review -- 107 days
A Public Space -- 74 days
The Cincinnati Review -- 66 days
Indiana Review -- 66 days
Tin House -- 46 days
Boston Review -- 42 days
Blackbird -- 35 days
Ninth Letter -- 15 days
AGNI -- 14 days
Green Mountains Review -- 14 days
The Idaho Review -- 14 days
The Kenyon Review -- 13 days
Sycamore Review -- 12 days

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Searching through a website this morning for response times as the submission deadline has passed -- NOW I see that all subs must be anonymous. Went back and checked. Yup, I have a header on mine. There's 2 months of waiting down the drain - and on a market I was quite hopeful for. Rats.

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
Submitted to First Stop Fiction. Wiated thirty days before querying like a good little boy, only to find out it's been in their spam folder for the past 30 days :Shrug:

My hopes were getting high, but now hopefully I'll get an answer in the next week or so.

Taylor V

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ironypolicy.wordpress.com
Submitted to First Stop Fiction. Wiated thirty days before querying like a good little boy, only to find out it's been in their spam folder for the past 30 days :Shrug:

My hopes were getting high, but now hopefully I'll get an answer in the next week or so.

Geez, that's rough. I'd think that places would be better about checking to make sure that didn't happen.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
I've had a story out for 8-weeks at FFO. I queried them today. I hope I hear back from them soon. I think it's a pretty strong story, and if they don't want it I'd like to be able to send it elsewhere.

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
Geez, that's rough. I'd think that places would be better about checking to make sure that didn't happen.

I thought the same thing, but he was very nice about it. Oh well, already sent the piece out somewhere else :)

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
Second straight Apex sub sent up to Mrs. Thomas for further consideration. Fiercely hoping this one has a better fate than the last.

Good luck!

kd1984

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.oneperfectword.blogspot.com
I also have a second in a row bump to the full editorial board at Shimmer. Was probably the most kind, full of praise email I've ever receieved. Flash is a hard sell with Ms. Tobler, but I'm keeping the faith.

Eliza C

Registered
Reaction score
Luck to you too, KD!

quovadis

Registered
Reaction score
Think I'm about to go mad! Have had a story at Electric Velocipede since December 22 - it's "under review," and rejections generally go out in 1-2 days. Then again, it's in *a* queue (perhaps the "recommended" queue, another poster suggested), and it's only dropped 20-odd spaces in ten days, and has been at the same place (50-something) for several of said days! Watching this second queue inch its way down...

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Not really related to publishing but I'm middling it in just about everything else when it comes to writing. In the middle of editing one story, in the middle of writing another story, and in the middle of those is one completed first draft. And I totally blame you guys because reading this subforum has inspired me to get back into the submission game. :D