Rejectomancy

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
22-day senior editor form R from Shimmer. I *think* the only complaint is that it's not what they normally publish, which is sad because I've read their stuff and thought I'd nailed it. Oh well. Off to the next market.

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Geez - they just keep coming...
1-day from Wayman Publishing for their Fractured Fairy Tales Antho.
I kept putting off subbing to them expecting to hear from another market (that accepts sim subs) but the other market has kept pushing back to the point I was safe subbing here at the same time. Unfortunately the R said they had just accepted a similar variation on the same fairy tale. It left me with the impression 'if I'd only subbed earlier...' Rats.

Last edited:

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
22-day senior editor form R from Shimmer. I *think* the only complaint is that it's not what they normally publish, which is sad because I've read their stuff and thought I'd nailed it. Oh well. Off to the next market.

Sorry. I hate that when you think you've really nailed a market and they don't.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry. I hate that when you think you've really nailed a market and they don't.
Thanks Eliza. :) At least it was passed up (assuming senior editors don't wrangle with the slush). And very sad to hear about your sub. It's one thing to have a story not quite there, and another to lose out because someone else beat you to the punch. My condolences!

Darkwing

Popping in because I miss this thread! x.x Who knew teaching would prove to be such an obstruction to my writing? Ugh.

Despite no new subs or any writing time for months, I still have some crickets out there. And boy, they are angry crickets! 122 days with Fantastic Frontiers, and an 87-day sub with Analog. I understand Analog is has been going through some changes in leadership, so I'm willing to be patient there. A little concerned about the FF one, but also willing to leave it a bit longer before I query. Maybe.

I also found out today that a story I got accepted to a children's mag months ago is now live on their website. But I haven't gotten paid yet, which concerns me slightly. Maybe something went wrong with the PayPal or something. I sent them a query through their Contact Us form on the website (no editor's email address?!), and hopefully this isn't going to become a Thing. Because I was really excited about the pub credit, and I was also really excited about the $50 I thought I was getting. :p At this stage, though, I really think it must have been an honest mistake. So not worrying too much until I hear back (or don't).

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
22-day senior editor form R from Shimmer. I *think* the only complaint is that it's not what they normally publish, which is sad because I've read their stuff and thought I'd nailed it. Oh well.

Oh noes! ECat sent me the same R--I sent them a darkly whimsical circus tale.
Good luck with your next market! I'm almost out of markets for this piece. :eek:

renard79

Teacher in Space
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Marzioli -congrats on making it to the Senior editor, better luck on the next magazine!

Eliza - I'm sorry, that really stinks. :(

renard79

Teacher in Space
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
R from This Great Society for a poem for their December issue; some constructive feedback.

19 day personal from Clockwork Phoenix, gave me some pointers to consider.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, what OD said. And thanks everyone for the condolences, and the same to you. :D

I think I got a higher tier 2-day form R from 3&5, which comes with an added, "It's nothing specific -- just a matter of fit." That is to say, at least the first story I sent to them didn't have that bit.

Also 22-day R from Strange Horizons. At least there's no wait!

And my rule of three came in the form of a 13-day rejection from Clockwork Phoenix.

Last edited:

kd1984

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.oneperfectword.blogspot.com
Does anyone know if Electric Velocipede's form R includes a bit that reads "hope you'll keep us in mind for the future"? The rest certainly feels like a form, but it did come from John Kilma. Although, their form could be signed as such.

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm...thought I'd nailed it for Clockwork Phoenix but guess not!
Well, off it goes to Shock Totem...

ETA- Guess I have to look for another market; Shock Totem Guidelines page says it's open, but Submittable submission page says closed. :(

Last edited:

kd1984

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.oneperfectword.blogspot.com
Hmm...thought I'd nailed it for Clockwork Phoenix but guess not!
Well, off it goes to Shock Totem...

ETA- Guess I have to look for another market; Shock Totem Guidelines page says it's open, but Submittable submission page says closed. :(

Strange...I subbed to them last week, and it was open then. Maybe a glitch?

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about the R's everyone, esp those waiting a while. Congrats for the higher tier ones though.

Only crickets for me right now.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Might be closed because they're behind. They have 93 subs on Duotrope and probably three times as much behind the scenes.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
6-day form R from Clockwork Phoenix yesterday. I think I'll get a friend to read the story over before I send it out again (though God knows when I'll have time to edit with NaNo going on).

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Commiserations all.

Pretty quiet in general given how many subs I have out. However...

Apex - Form R after a bump.

Wterhouse Review - Nice personal with a "they nearly took it"-like comment. That would be my 4 billionth nearly-took-it this year. Grrr.

Carte Blanche and Sycamore Review - Higher tier R's.

Agent - Liked the novel, can't sell it as small agency.

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
BooHiss to all those rejections, especially bumpforms, so sad. I'm sure there are homes out there somewhere!

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Had a 40-day form from Shock Totem a few days ago on a weird little flash piece that I don't know what to do with.

(though God knows when I'll have time to edit with NaNo going on).

Amen on that front. I've resigned myself to just pumping out first draft after first draft this month, at least until I hit that 50k.