Rejectomancy

SaucyPaladin

Silver Over Brass
Registered
Reaction score
I'm at 80 days at Terraform. I have queried at around 65 days (since their stated response time was something like two weeks) and haven't heard back. I queried again a couple of days ago. Again, silence. If I don't hear back 90 days in, I'll be withdrawing.

Serious question. How does one withdraw a story from a market that doesn't respond? As in, how can one be certain that an unresponsive market has received one's withdrawal (short of registered snail mail)?

Ty Schalter

Registered
Reaction score
Fastest rejection I've ever received from Asimov's. Wonder if I inadvertently did something wrong. Bummer.

I think they've recently committed to killing slush as it comes in the door. Grinder stats for the last 12 months show a 2-3 month wait for everything, but looking at the most recent pieces they've been turning around most Rs in just a day or two.

Can't say it isn't appreciated!

Peace
Ty

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Serious question. How does one withdraw a story from a market that doesn't respond? As in, how can one be certain that an unresponsive market has received one's withdrawal (short of registered snail mail)?

Withdrawing a story is a courtesy, not a legal requirement. You send an email stating that as of X date the story is being withdrawn. Then you save the copy in your "sent" folder.

If for some reason they don't see the email and contact you to offer a contract, you simply tell them the story has been withdrawn and forward the previous email. Not withdrawing a story doesn't mean you have to accept a contract offer if one should eventually materialize, it just means you don't look as professional as you do if you send that notification.

At least, this is my take. I had to do something similar with GUD a couple of years back.

Gnome

Registered
Reaction score
38 day form from flash fiction online. Apparently my story made it to the last round. Frustrating.

SaucyPaladin

Silver Over Brass
Registered
Reaction score
...and it's moot. 63 day personalized rejection from T3rraf0rm.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
8-day form R from Fantastic Stories of the Imagination. They're damn fast. Which is nice.

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com
I think they've recently committed to killing slush as it comes in the door. Grinder stats for the last 12 months show a 2-3 month wait for everything, but looking at the most recent pieces they've been turning around most Rs in just a day or two.

Can't say it isn't appreciated!

Peace
Ty

Nope, it's not just you. I got one last week within 24 hours.

Thanks! That's good to know. I am always for faster response times anyway. :)

pdichellis

Murder! You want fries with that?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
murderandfries.wordpress.com
108-day dejection from Spinetingler. Editor's note said he liked the writing, but the story wasn't right for the market.

I made lots of year-end subs and am starting to get responses. So far, a couple of acceptances and a couple of rejections. (Lamplight post above.) Seems okay, but I really wanted the spot at Spinetingler because the editor had encouraged me in past Rs. Gotta figure out how to crack the code there.

Best wishes,
Peter

ACFantasy

Registered
Reaction score
Rejection from Urban Fantasy Magazine, with a couple paragraphs of very helpful comments from the slush readers.

Really liking the detailed feedback I get from them. They've pretty much become the first place I send... well, all my urban fantasy stuff that wasn't specifically written for another market.

Gnome

Registered
Reaction score
Got a revise and resubmit from pl@sma frequency. They like my concept but seem to want a completely different story so I don't know if I will bother.

William Green

Registered
Reaction score
I can think of nothing more frustrating than rejection via no response. At first you think, "Wow, they've had this a long time, they must really be considering it" and slowly it sinks in that, "No, either they just didn't send a response." Time to move on to someone else.

JJ Litke

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
William Green, double-check their current standings on Submission Grinder if you haven't already. Some markets take a super-long time. But if you are past their average, query them about status. Most of their sites have a time frame for that (that is, if it's past so much time, contact them).

William Green

Registered
Reaction score
William Green, double-check their current standings on Submission Grinder if you haven't already. Some markets take a super-long time. But if you are past their average, query them about status. Most of their sites have a time frame for that (that is, if it's past so much time, contact them).

Good advice, however in this case, the confirmation email I received upon submitting said if I don't hear back in two months it means something has gone wrong and I should resubmit.

Lately, I've been wondering if there is something wrong with my email and I'm not getting all my messages, as there have been a couple places I never heard back from even after sending polite follow-up messages (on the plus side, I sold two stories in January, so at least THOSE emails got through.)

JJ Litke

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Huh. There were several people who never got a response from DSF in recent weeks if that was one of the markets you had trouble with (in that case I'm assuming it was a problem on their end). And I'll bet you already checked your spam folder.

On the other hand, congrats on those sales, that's always nice!

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
5 day R from @cidic f1ction.

Has anyone heard from F1ction V@le recently?

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
First rejection for the year - 48 hours from Asimov's. Glad I had read about the new slush blitz here before I got that one!

JJ Litke

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Heh, I got a two-day R from Asimov's yesterday. And today I got a nice personal R from BCS. I'm going to do a bit of revision before sending that one back out.

Capability

Registered
Reaction score
Two Weeks (give or take) at Cl@rkesworld. Sent it out again. I really thought this was The One..!

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
All my rejections this year have come from publications closing due to ill health.

Hm. Maybe I'm jinxing the places.