Middling It

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
I imagine things slow down around the holidays? Or at least that's what I tell myself as I refresh my inbox every 45 seconds.

They do seem to, at lots of markets. And you never know which slush reader has your story, and what personal issues might be slowing them down. That can affect the return time too.

kalevin

Dark and twisty, like licorice.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kalevingston.com
Good luck! I'm sitting at 21 days with Shimmer. If you don't mind my asking, how long did it take them to inform you of the bump to the board?

I think it was 19 days, so hopefully you'll hear something soon too. Wishing everyone lots of news to be thankful for this week! ;)

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
Got my Penum bump to join the many others of you here. I will say, win lose or draw, the editor has been super nice with the whole process.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know about LORE and how they do/don't respond to queries? My story passed the 90 mark and I sent a query to the "queries" email, but I'm not even certain that was the right place. >_< (And I know that their response time for Rs has been longer than 90 days lately, but I don't wait past the "It's okay to query" point for reasons I've stated before.)

Also, still waiting on a response from Analog which is mildly frustrating because I'd like to sub that story to Clockwork Phoenix if it's rejected by Analog.

Everything else is in various stages of crickets. :p

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
I was closing in on 150 days when I queried (both addresses) - never got a response, but a few weeks later got a rejection and an apology saying they hope to go faster, should I choose to submit to them again.

For Ana- when I queried them they said my file wan't in the system, even though I had a number for it.

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
For Ana- when I queried them they said my file wan't in the system, even though I had a number for it.

Okay, that's worrying. I'm at 114 days there myself, and it's still marked as "received" on their sub tracker. Since there's been no responses on Duotrope lately other than the couple of recent acceptances, I'd just assumed that things are moving slowly over there right now due to the editorial changes and what not.

But if you had a number and they said they didn't have it--hmm. Maybe I should query.

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, that's worrying. I'm at 114 days there myself, and it's still marked as "received" on their sub tracker. Since there's been no responses on Duotrope lately other than the couple of recent acceptances, I'd just assumed that things are moving slowly over there right now due to the editorial changes and what not.

But if you had a number and they said they didn't have it--hmm. Maybe I should query.

Yup, they later said it was in the system but unopenable. Even with these fancy schmancy computer systems, the 0s and 1s get mixed up and things go kablooie.

J.W. Alden

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Yup, they later said it was in the system but unopenable. Even with these fancy schmancy computer systems, the 0s and 1s get mixed up and things go kablooie.

Yikes. Well, query it is then. Thanks for the info.

This is actually going to be the first time I've ever had to query a market. Oh boy! :p

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I was closing in on 150 days when I queried (both addresses) - never got a response, but a few weeks later got a rejection and an apology saying they hope to go faster, should I choose to submit to them again.

Doubly disturbing because I've already queried and gotten no response. How long did you have to wait? (I'm at 120 days on the sub, close to 30 days on the query.) I don't want to be obnoxious, but lack of response usually results in me sending another email. Eventually. :p

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
What are the rules about wait times for when you query because of length? I queried shimmer and wasn't sure if I should be in for a full three weeks or not? Also, is it considered a sub when they only have the first page? Can I still send it elsewhere?

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Hope I'm not headed for another rejectionalanch:
WotF 115-days
AE 59-days, last response on Duo Oct 30th
ST - 50-days, last response on Duo Nov 5th
Plasma Freq 24-days, last response on Duo Oct 20th
plus 22-day at Crossed Gnres
18-day at BCS
and 14-day at Shimmr and ASIM (plus a couple others that probably won't see responses for awhile)
Gah.

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have any knowledge on Gulf Co@st? I have a sub with them that has changed from under review to decision pending. Anyone else know if this is good or usual?

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
What are the rules about wait times for when you query because of length? I queried shimmer and wasn't sure if I should be in for a full three weeks or not? Also, is it considered a sub when they only have the first page? Can I still send it elsewhere?

I wouldn't consider a length query a submission. But if they say you can send the whole thing, that is a submission, so you'd need to wait until your responses from elsewhere come in.

Chances are high their response will be no. It's rare for markets to publish something over their length limit.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Some places will ask that you query for length, if you think your story would be a really good fit, but it's too long/short. Of course if they like your story, they're going to ask you to revise it so it does fit their lengths; which means more work, which means your story has to be better than the average slush for them to consider that option.

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Good luck to KD and anyone else waiting on a second/final-round decision at various markets.

I've got a story in second round at DSF, myself.

kd1984

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.oneperfectword.blogspot.com
Thanks, Michael. I'm really, really hopeful for this little story.

On another note, has anyone heard anything from Clockwork Phoenix lately? I'm out at 20 days with them, which is a bit longer than their standard responses. At least according to DT. Granted, DT also says they haven't had any responses since November 19th. Mike Allen mentioned that he would not be sending any acceptances until after the reading period, which is Dec. 14th. Trying not to let that little glimmer of hope sneak in, but I can't help it. Anyone heard anything?

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Michael. I'm really, really hopeful for this little story.

On another note, has anyone heard anything from Clockwork Phoenix lately? I'm out at 20 days with them, which is a bit longer than their standard responses. At least according to DT. Granted, DT also says they haven't had any responses since November 19th. Mike Allen mentioned that he would not be sending any acceptances until after the reading period, which is Dec. 14th. Trying not to let that little glimmer of hope sneak in, but I can't help it. Anyone heard anything?

Nope, but I imagine he's just taken a week or so off of reading.

J.W. Alden

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Doubly disturbing because I've already queried and gotten no response. How long did you have to wait? (I'm at 120 days on the sub, close to 30 days on the query.) I don't want to be obnoxious, but lack of response usually results in me sending another email. Eventually. :p

Psst, Aggy.

Thought I'd let you know that I got a response on my query to Analog today (sent it on Saturday). They said that the delay was indeed due to the staff changes, and that my story is still under consideration. They also said to give it another two to three months before querying again.

Thought you might like to know, since I remembered you saying you hadn't received a response on yours.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com

On his livejournal, he said he has a bunch of November submissions to go through, so it may just be there's a backlog.

(And from the sounds of it, he's still lacking science fiction pieces to his taste, so if anyone hasn't submitted and has one...)