Middling It

LolaVelo

Registered
Reaction score
I'm at 83 days at Fantasy Scroll. Have seen lots of younger ones culled, and a couple of the same age and older, but after finding out another venue lost my submission recently at over 100 days, I realize I'm now assuming everything is lost rather than perhaps on the brink of being accepted... This has gotta be some sort of syndrome, right?

So... apparently I don't have a syndrome after all... I queried, and the story was, indeed, lost. That's two in a row for me! This editor however, was incredibly gracious and offered to put my story at the top of the reading queue if I resubmitted. So I resubmitted. :)

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
So... apparently I don't have a syndrome after all... I queried, and the story was, indeed, lost. That's two in a row for me! This editor however, was incredibly gracious and offered to put my story at the top of the reading queue if I resubmitted. So I resubmitted. :)

Good on you, LolaVelo. Sorry to hear about them losing your work, but it's good to know this editor was helpful and fair, too. I appreciate markets like that!

Also, just shows it's good to query after an appropriate time. Unfortunately, I think learning to query at a sensible time is a professional skill most writers are going to need.

Batspan

My Religion is kindness -Dalai Lama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Thanks all. There were a few Ap3x responses on Grinder today - first time I've looked since the last time I was here. So things are moving there.

Pulling for everyone with the new bumps/2nd-rounders.

Ty Schalter

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so no official bump, no second-round notice, not officially Middling It. BUT, I've got a piece at 35 days with Fireside, and just saw several younger ones fly off the board at The Grinder.

I'd dearly love for this to Mean Something, but I also know I'm being irrationally hopeful here. Deep breaths, fingers crossed, etc.

Peace
Ty

Gnome

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all. There were a few Ap3x responses on Grinder today - first time I've looked since the last time I was here. So things are moving there.

Pulling for everyone with the new bumps/2nd-rounders.

There are more now and it's scaring me! A 158 day form rejection! I'm at 130 and was starting to actually have some hope.

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
Got a hold request at Unlikely Journal (of Entomology).

HAD a hold request at FFO, but that turned into a N right quick, le sigh.

LolaVelo

Registered
Reaction score
I got a very nice note from a lit. anthology saying my story was going to the next round, but that the ed. wasn't entirely sure how it fit the theme, even though she loved it... so she asked if I could tell her how I thought it fit in. I wrote her back, told her my thoughts about the theme etc., and now I'm just crossing my fingers...

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
I'm at 139 with them :/

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Pl@sma Fr3quency says that I've been forwarded to a second reader. Does that count?

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
A few hours later I got another note saying that I was passed onto a 3rd reader. So, to wait...

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Middling at Apex and ASIM. (Very different stories.)

Congrats and good luck everyone else waiting on final round stories.

Brandon M Johnson

hard at work
Registered
Reaction score
Middling at Apex and ASIM. (Very different stories.)

Congrats and good luck everyone else waiting on final round stories.

I'll bet those are some very different stories.

First writing news for me in a while: one of my stories is being held for further review. I'm finally back in the game! This is one of my personal favorite stories and one that I've singled out to keep submitting, so getting something of a positive response on this one is a confidence boost for my ability to rate my own work.

Good luck to everyone else!

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
I'm at 34 days at Ap3x, a little beyond the longest wait on DT and TG. Any idea if this is a middling it or not? Fi, did you get a passed-up note? Also, I'm overdue at like a gabajillion markets and have lost the will to even report them for fear of jinxing. 42 submissions out at the moment though.

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
PD- they had a staff overhaul, so I'm attributing my longer wait to that.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
I'm at 34 days at Ap3x, a little beyond the longest wait on DT and TG. Any idea if this is a middling it or not? Fi, did you get a passed-up note?

Yes, I got a note I'd been passed up to the new Editor-in-Chief, after about 8 days. I think it just depends which first reader you get. But I think they take queries if you've heard nothing after 60 days.

Based on the longer rejection times on the Grinder, which I assume are for passed up stories, I've now settled in for the long haul.

Also, I'm overdue at like a gabajillion markets and have lost the will to even report them for fear of jinxing. 42 submissions out at the moment though.

42 subs??!! Seriously, I'm impressed!

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I know it's been a while since the last post but I hope everyone is having good luck?

One story has been held for 36 days by Pl@sma Fr3quency and I just got an email from Sh1mmer saying that the first reader enjoyed a story of mine and it has been forwarded to the editorial board. So, very exciting :)

Last edited: