How would I properly cite this source?

Ohoopee

Registered
Reaction score
I am writing a historical, non-fiction book. Two of the individuals of importance in my book both graduated from the same medical school in the early 1800's. The school happens to still exist today. I knew they attended but didn't know when they graduated. So I sent an email to the library at the Medical School and they replied to my email and listed each man's graduation date.

So since this was communication between myself and the school, how should I probably cite my source for the information on the individuals graduation dates?

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I would Google for a style guide about whatever style you're using (APA, MLA, etc) and "personal communication". I'm a historical sociologist and that's how I handle emails, as "personal communication".

Ohoopee

Registered
Reaction score
I did that , most websites say that personal communication is not recoverable data so should not be included in a references page. From what i have read, it should be included in text on the actually manuscript. But this is recoverable data, all someone has to do is email the library like I did so I am not really sure.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
What citation style are you using?

Ohoopee

Registered
Reaction score
Chicago, although I will be publishing with a University press so they may want to change the format.

Ohoopee

Registered
Reaction score
I did that as well. They said that they have that information entered into a computer and can just do a search...the search is not accessible to the public. The woman who I am dealing with thinks that they might have a book in the library with the information in it. Se is supposed to be getting back to me but nothing yet.

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
If you're using Chicago, the place to go for citation type questions would be the Chicago Manual of Style itself--they tell you how to cite EVERYTHING. It's certainly a book you should have around while working on academic writing (you can also subscribe to the online edition).

Their website though does have a run-down of citations for most frequently used sources: http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/tools_citationguide.html . This includes emails, about which they say:

E-mail or text message
E-mail and text messages may be cited in running text (“In a text message to the author on March 1, 2010, John Doe revealed . . .”) instead of in a note, and they are rarely listed in a bibliography. The following example shows the more formal version of a note.

1. John Doe, e-mail message to author, February 28, 2010.