Hounding After Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
There are little square "juice" cartons here in the UK about four inches high with a foil seal across the top, and are almost tasteless enough to be considered flavored water if it wasn't for the high sugar content. All they are good for is sticking in the freezer and eating when it gets really hot.

AbielleRose

Crazy Cat Lady
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
stainedglassinthenight.wordpress.com
There are little square "juice" cartons here in the UK about four inches high with a foil seal across the top, and are almost tasteless enough to be considered flavored water if it wasn't for the high sugar content. All they are good for is sticking in the freezer and eating when it gets really hot.

Sounds like our Freezy Pops, but those are intended to be frozen first and come in foot long tubes. I loved them as a kid and would never eat the icy bits, just suck on the juice as it slowly melted.

If only they made a bag that contained only banana and root beer flavors... mmm...

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like our Freezy Pops, but those are intended to be frozen first and come in foot long tubes.

Um... I wouldn't swear to it, but I *think* they sell those here as well. I have seen Zoe go stalk-eyed at the frozen section of supermarkets all too often to know to keep moving - if you stop to look at something, she gets it into her head that she is allowed...

AbielleRose

Crazy Cat Lady
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
LOL. Sounds like shopping with a kid. :D When I was little I was crazy for Tick-Tacks. No idea why as they're rather pointless little things. Every time in the market mom would stand between me and the candy wall at the check-out because I would try to slip some packs in.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have seen Zoe go stalk-eyed at the frozen section of supermarkets all too often to know to keep moving - if you stop to look at something, she gets it into her head that she is allowed...

That's just conditioning, you know. Sounds like someone has stopped and caved in often enough that she recognizes the pattern. (Not saying it's you, mind you, but someone.)

Moira tends to fixate on things, too, as I think all kids do, but she knows that most of the time I'm probably going to say no. As she also knows that I'll say yes, too, from time to time, which makes it worth her while to ask.

:D

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Every time in the market mom would stand between me and the candy wall at the check-out because I would try to slip some packs in.

This... has problems. I've tried standing in her way for various things - on one occasion to block her view from two guys kicking seven shades out of each other in the high street - but her natural curiosity makes her want to see whatever it is I am trying to keep from her. No-win situation there...

That's just conditioning, you know.

Small children and animals... *sigh*

Moira tends to fixate on things, too, as I think all kids do, but she knows that most of the time I'm probably going to say no. As she also knows that I'll say yes, too, from time to time, which makes it worth her while to ask.

I would be more understanding of her impulses to have certain things if they at least made sense - she got it into her head that I really, really needed to buy a pair of freakin' oven mitts. Wouldn't drop the notion at all.

When I say I would make a lousy parent, I am not exaggerating...

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
It's too bad there isn't a Parent Product for each commercial product in those sections. The Parent Product is based on negative reinforcement through a bad experience. Buy a certain ice cream brand, it tastes like crap and gives you a stomach ache. Buy a certain candy and it tastes terrible and puts you in the bathroom. You could switch that product with something a child wants badly and is giving you a hard time for.

So, you'd be at the store and the child wants Mr. Big's Ice Cream Goofballs because they've been advertising like crazy and all their friends have them and it's the greatest thing on Earth. Fine. Go ahead and buy a box but in this case, it's the Parental Control Product.

The kid goes home happy, tears open the box and BOOM! Bad aftertaste, negative effects, etc. And the parent gloats and says, "I told you so!" and the kid sullenly agrees. The next time at the store the behavior is changed and fewer arguments happen.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
There are worse things I say to Zoe - y'know those cartoon ride-on vehicle things based on kids' tv shows? Place a coin in, and it moves up and down for a couple of minutes? I told her the flashing light on top of the Fireman Sam ones means they are broken...

AbielleRose

Crazy Cat Lady
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
This... has problems. I've tried standing in her way for various things - on one occasion to block her view from two guys kicking seven shades out of each other in the high street - but her natural curiosity makes her want to see whatever it is I am trying to keep from her. No-win situation there...

Small children and animals... *sigh*

I would be more understanding of her impulses to have certain things if they at least made sense - she got it into her head that I really, really needed to buy a pair of freakin' oven mitts. Wouldn't drop the notion at all.

When I say I would make a lousy parent, I am not exaggerating...

The people who worry about being a good parent are often the ones who ARE good parents. It shows they care enough to worry about it.

Oven mitts are fun! :D

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
She's already learned sarcasm from me. If I can get that into a kid's head in so little (relative) time, then imagine the damage I could do if I was around a kid all the time... And she knows enough swear words to put some adults to shame (though she knows better than to use them... mostly).

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Ah. I get the brunt of the sarcasm.

Mostly because she gets away with it. On her father... not so much. I dread hearing what she has gotten up to after spending the day with me, as I am sure I am the worst influence EVER.

AbielleRose

Crazy Cat Lady
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
She's already learned sarcasm from me. If I can get that into a kid's head in so little (relative) time, then imagine the damage I could do if I was around a kid all the time... And she knows enough swear words to put some adults to shame (though she knows better than to use them... mostly).

Sorry to say... but British kids swearing are fecking adorable. :D

"You're a bloody wankah'!"

*giggles to self*

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I have mentioned the f-bomb tantrum before... After thrashing around the floor repeating the word for a while, Graeme told her to stop. She immediately began using "fox, fox, fox, fox" as a substitute. She's sharp as a pin, which is most of her problem...

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
You have an entire bathtub behind that bar, Greg?

I've got an entire BOLO Mk XXXIII behind this bar. A bathtub's no big deal.

His name is BOB. Yes, Bob, the BOLO. He like to crush things, and shoot his Hellbore cannon.

It's good to be nice to BOB.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
I like sarcasm and strawberry crush.

that is all.

oh...and hi and stuff.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score