Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Mystery/Thriller/Suspense
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 07:28 AM   #226
lizmonster
possibly lost; not sure yet

lizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for President
2156 today. Didn't quite get to the explosions, but they're coming up. Did start the Big Reveal, though (or at least part of it).

My goal is to get through this scene, and one denouement scene, by the end of the month. And then...the filling in begins, but at least I don't have some t-shirt-driven deadline for that part.

Go team - great work today! TheIT, I know you can do it.

In revisions: Made of Stars (until I come up with a new title) - military SF, 144,884
WIP: Blinding Faith (tentative) - SF/space opera, 4,085/120,000
lizmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #227
Saoirse
practical experience, FTW

Saoirse is a shiny, shiny jewelSaoirse is a shiny, shiny jewel
Awesome words, lizmonster!!!!

1,354 yesterday.

WIP
Grave Touched - science fantasy, book 2 - in rewrite
Soulfire - dark fantasy - writing now (but shh, don't tell Grave Touched!)

In Flames - flash anthology, available now! https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/349458
Fey Touched, a science fantasy, now available from http://www.turtleduckpress.com
Saoirse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:24 PM   #228
Ken Hoss
Coming Soon

Ken Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputation
Nice wordage, Liz and Saoirse!

Hit over 1500 yesterday at the day job, and today is a little busier, but still managed 583. Not spectacular, but I'll take it.

ETA: I just noticed that I'm over 2500 post!

Available on Amazon - Kindle and Paperback

Ken Hoss - Author

Last edited by Ken Hoss; 11-29-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Ken Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:32 PM   #229
asroc
Alex

asroc has earned our admirationasroc has earned our admirationasroc has earned our admirationasroc has earned our admiration
Well, I finished NaNo. Apparently that gave me such a boost that I added over 5k to my WIP since then. I might actually finish the WIP's first draft soon, too.
asroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:37 PM   #230
IAMWRITER
QWERTY!!!

IAMWRITER has a spectacular auraIAMWRITER has a spectacular aura
Silly question but do you guys here do this sort of thing every month? (MTS Newbie Question alert!)

Cause if so, I'm in for next month!
Old 11-29-2012, 11:42 PM   #231
lizmonster

lizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for Presidentlizmonster should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMWRITER View Post
Silly question but do you guys here do this sort of thing every month? (MTS Newbie Question alert!)

Haven't been here that long myself, but - yeah, since I joined at least.

Be warned, though: Sometimes we get silly.

In revisions: Made of Stars (until I come up with a new title) - military SF, 144,884
Old 11-30-2012, 12:15 AM   #232
Ken Hoss
Coming Soon

Ken Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputationKen Hoss has a golden reputation
Quote:

Yes, every month we start a new thread, thanks to our glorious Mod, HJ. It always has a unique name, such as this months thread, and we cheer and prod each other along. Now, you don't have to get 500 words to post here, as you can no doubt see from some of the postings. This is more for camaradirie and encouragement. But the most important thing to remember is to JUST HAVE FUN.

Oh yes, almost forgot, there will be chocolate.

P.S. HJ, I vote for next months thread to be Decadent December.

Ken Hoss - Author
Old 11-30-2012, 12:38 AM   #233
Ken Hoss
Coming Soon

Pounded out another 433 words this afternoon, on top of the 583 this morning, to finish with 1016! That now officially takes the WIP to over 20K!! (20,006)

Ken Hoss - Author
Old 11-30-2012, 12:54 AM   #234
Zelenka
Going home!

Zelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputation
Ooh, according to Scrivener, I did 5,140 today!

Still not going to win Nano though. I seem to do year on year off with that. So I should manage it next year if I keep to pattern.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:06 AM   #235
IAMWRITER
QWERTY!!!

IAMWRITER has a spectacular auraIAMWRITER has a spectacular aura
Cool, I'll defo do it next month!

Or should that be in 2 days - where has the year gone?
Old 11-30-2012, 04:10 AM   #236
Saoirse

Saoirse is a shiny, shiny jewelSaoirse is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hoss View Post
Nice wordage, Liz and Saoirse!

Hit over 1500 yesterday at the day job, and today is a little busier, but still managed 583. Not spectacular, but I'll take it.

ETA: I just noticed that I'm over 2500 post!

Thanks! Awesome wordage of yours too!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asroc View Post
Well, I finished NaNo. Apparently that gave me such a boost that I added over 5k to my WIP since then. I might actually finish the WIP's first draft soon, too.
Whoohoooo! That is awesome!

Quote:

Yep. I've been participating since October, and it's so much fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizmonster View Post
Haven't been here that long myself, but - yeah, since I joined at least.

Be warned, though: Sometimes we get silly.
Oh yeah.

Quote:
Yes, every month we start a new thread, thanks to our glorious Mod, HJ. It always has a unique name, such as this months thread, and we cheer and prod each other along. Now, you don't have to get 500 words to post here, as you can no doubt see from some of the postings. This is more for camaradirie and encouragement. But the most important thing to remember is to JUST HAVE FUN.

Oh yes, almost forgot, there will be chocolate.

P.S. HJ, I vote for next months thread to be Decadent December.
I second that!

Quote:
Pounded out another 433 words this afternoon, on top of the 583 this morning, to finish with 1016! That now officially takes the WIP to over 20K!! (20,006)
Awesome!!! Wonderful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelenka View Post
Ooh, according to Scrivener, I did 5,140 today!

Still not going to win Nano though. I seem to do year on year off with that. So I should manage it next year if I keep to pattern.

S'ok. Progress is progress. I haven't even hit 25k this month. But it's 25k more than I had before.

Quote:
Cool, I'll defo do it next month!

Or should that be in 2 days - where has the year gone?
Good question. I can still remember New Year's and starting this year. And now it's almost over!

Nothing for me today. I took a wrong turn or something. I need to navel gaze ponder things. But I will be proofreading for a friend.

WIP
Grave Touched - science fantasy, book 2 - in rewrite
Soulfire - dark fantasy - writing now (but shh, don't tell Grave Touched!)

In Flames - flash anthology, available now! https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/349458
Fey Touched, a science fantasy, now available from http://www.turtleduckpress.com
Saoirse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:22 AM   #237
lizmonster

2035 today. I may end the chapter right here; it's kind of cliff-hanger-y, although I didn't plan it that way. I think I like it like this.

My goal for tomorrow is to break 65K. I am very close, so it should be doable. And then I have to decide what to commit to for Decadent December...

Old 11-30-2012, 07:57 AM   #238
TheIT
Opening the door...

TheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm at about 40K on NaNo and still writing tonight. Nice birthday today despite the rain. Lunch with my best friend and writing - what else could one ask for?

NaNoWriMo 2013: Abyss, Part 1 - Anyone want to go for a swim?

Available now:

Everyone wishes they could get an extra hour in the day. But what if you could?

Doorways to Extra Time
TheIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:48 AM   #239
Shara
Fix it in the Rewrite

Shara is a glorious beacon of lightShara is a glorious beacon of light
Dragged myself out of bed at 5:30am and managed 840 words, but it was a struggle and I think they are mostly rubbish words.

Have to venture out into the cold and frosty London morning now to the EDJ.

MY BOOKS:

Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:12 PM   #240
onesecondglance
pretending to be awake

onesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
First words last night since... well, my last post here (two weeks or something? *groan*).

Anyway, it's not all bad. 1,428 words, and some of them may even stay the final cut.

Great work to everyone else - I am in awe of your wordage. And welcome IAMWRITER - get going now, don't wait for next month!

I write music. | I gave in and joined twitter. | And I have a blog too.
onesecondglance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:43 PM   #241
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Happy birthday TheIT!

Congrats to everyone who's got words. Last day of NaNo for those participating!
heyjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:35 PM   #242
onesecondglance
pretending to be awake

onesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Another 250 odd. Total for the month is 6260, some way short of my 10k target. At least I wasn't doing Nano...

I write music. | I gave in and joined twitter. | And I have a blog too.
onesecondglance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:35 PM   #243
muse
standing on head, typing one-handed...

muse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIT View Post
I'm at about 40K on NaNo and still writing tonight. Nice birthday today despite the rain. Lunch with my best friend and writing - what else could one ask for?

Happy Birthday, TheIT.

Great word count everyone. I shall usher November out with a miserly 479 words. Tomorrow, however, is a new month and a new word count.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:42 AM   #244
Ken Hoss
Coming Soon

Happy B-Day, TheIT. You're 21, right?

Even though HJ has put up the December to Dismember post, I will resist posting wordage there until tomorrow. Not a great showing, but got 550 words today, and combined with the past two days, that's an average of 3K words per day. Don't know if I will get any more in tonight or not, and if I don't, I still ended November on a high note by passing the 20K mark on the WIP.

See you all in December!

Ken Hoss - Author
Old 12-01-2012, 06:58 AM   #245
lizmonster

Happy belated birthday, TheIT! You are a spring chicken.

Well, I finished the month with another 1467 words and a lot of doubts. I still think there is a story here, but structurally it's quite a mess right now. My husband tells me I said the same thing last year, so I suppose I'll be optimistic - but boy, right now it feels like a little bitty echo of something that might, someday, in the right light, turn out to be an actual novel.

And oh, it has been FUN writing something new!

Old 12-01-2012, 10:34 AM   #246
TheIT
Opening the door...

TheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Just hit the 50K on NaNoWriMo after bashing out about 14K words in three days. Time to collapse for a while now...

And thanks for the birthday wishes! That's right, Ken, I'm 21 for the 24th time this year.

Now to decide what to do in December...

NaNoWriMo 2013: Abyss, Part 1 - Anyone want to go for a swim?

Available now:

Everyone wishes they could get an extra hour in the day. But what if you could?

Doorways to Extra Time
TheIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #247
Zelenka
Going home!

Zelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputationZelenka has a double-platinum reputation
Well done everyone doing NaNo this year! (I'm not counting my feeble effort, since I only had about two days writing).

Onwards into the new month and loads of words!
Old 12-03-2012, 06:15 PM   #248
knightrunnermat

knightrunnermat is well-respected
I am late getting this up, but during NaNo, I finished about 3/4 of a novel. However, I ended up not adding anything to it the last 8 days or so of November thanks to some very welcome distractions. I was really happy with how much writing I got done, but I was even more happy with the lessons that I learned during November. I am putting the NaNo project on the shelf for the time being and focusing on a few other aspects of my life that I think are even more important, such as family and faith. These things have had such a profound impact upon my life the last few weeks that my writing has taken a totally different direction. I'm going to finish this story at some point, but I have to focus on these other things first.

I'm glad that everyone got so much done during the month of November. Let's keep writing in December and throughout all of '13!

http://matthewgyoung.wordpress.com/
knightrunnermat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:33 PM   #249
wonderactivist
move along, nothing to see here

wonderactivist has a golden reputationwonderactivist has a golden reputationwonderactivist has a golden reputationwonderactivist has a golden reputationwonderactivist has a golden reputationwonderactivist has a golden reputation
Awesome job TheIt and everyone else who finished NaNo. I stopped mine at about 35K. Too busy with the book launch. Still, I'm happy I got some writing done over that busy month.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:14 AM   #250
lizmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderactivist View Post
Too busy with the book launch.
You do realize that this, in and of itself, is awesome.

And Matt - life always feeds our writing, even when we're not actually putting words down. New directions are always exciting - and you know, 3/4 of a novel is nothing to sneeze at!