Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys! We'll get 'em next time! Go Team Old People Writing For Teenagers! I feel like we should transform into something when we tap our laptops together or something.

SeeM0

Registered
Reaction score
Hello wonderful OPWFT group. (I assumed you're all wonderful because writers are wonderful. How can we not be? ;) ) I'm a newbie old person writing for teens. Anyhoo, I just wanted to say hi. I should be writing, but I'm doing everything I can not to. LOL It's one of those moments.

I hope to stick around to get to know all of you. And please, forgive my lack of YA knowledge. I'm just getting my feet in the YA pool. So far, only one toe is in. Shows you how much I know, eh. :)

Periwinkle

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all! I joined AW a while back, but haven't been active at all. Thought I'd change that this year! I write YA urban fantasy. Would be great to make some YA writing friends :)

Hello and welcome Freyja! :)

Hello wonderful OPWFT group. (I assumed you're all wonderful because writers are wonderful. How can we not be? ;) ) I'm a newbie old person writing for teens. Anyhoo, I just wanted to say hi. I should be writing, but I'm doing everything I can not to. LOL It's one of those moments.

I hope to stick around to get to know all of you. And please, forgive my lack of YA knowledge. I'm just getting my feet in the YA pool. So far, only one toe is in. Shows you how much I know, eh. :)

A big welcome to you, too, SeeMo! And don't worry, before you know it you'll be soaking wet in YA. Forgive me if you're already doing this, but I'd recommend reading a TON of YA lit to familiarize yourself with the market. And if you have a question, feel free to ask. Everyone is so helpful around here.

So sorry, Kansas. Just a minor setback, methinks. Keep at it. :Hug2:

And another vote for York :D

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Ah no, SIK, they had it for awhile, and asked for a full. So you know the writing is pretty solid. That is something to hang your hat on. It will find its home.

I am getting the submitting itch. I wanted to give another pass through my MG novel, but not until I finish this first draft I am working. I spent some time reading MG novels, and now I am thinking I don't have as much revision as I think.

So jealous of friends going to SCBWI conference in NY this weekend. I could have gone, but am opting to do LA in August instead. It seems so far away!

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, Kansas. But some feedback is great!

Welcome, SeeM0!

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to sort out my phone. Does anyone know how to find the model number easily?

Freyja

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, Stuck In Kansas. But receiving feedback, and especially that your premise is enticing, sounds like something very good though. Hopefully that means they remember you now when you send your other MS.

SeeMO - welcome! I'm new as well :)

Lhipenwhe

Moving with my soul, step by step
Registered
Reaction score
Can't really add much more to what the others have said to you about being considered by Random House, Kansas. I'm green with envy; I haven't even submitted anything and I'm nervous as hell. >.<

In my own writing news, I just battered my way past the halfway slump of my WIP. Going back to it with a vengeance before I start work.

SeeM0

Registered
Reaction score
Freyja, wampuscat, Jsschley & periwinkle thank you for the welcome. :) I've been following and reading quite a bit of YA in the last few months and it's been really helpful. I'm a huge romance fan so I've been drawn to any YA that's heavy on the romance.

JK Rowley: OMG! Divided Moon has just been added to the top of my TBR pile. I can't wait to get started on it.

Does anyone else have this problem? I'm on the last few chapters of my WIP and I can't seem to finish it. I have everything outline and I can see the scenes. I know how it's going to end. I just can't write it. UGH.....I've been sitting on my current chapter for the last three days. I have to admit, it's pretty frustrating.....

SeeM0

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and Periwinkle, I'm on team York. LOL I'm a first love kind of gal and York & Sam were just perfect together.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome SeeMo! (and I believe it was Kansas asking about the two Dicks--haha that just sounds so wrong! Anywhoo, I was a York fan too! And I'm totally laughing to myself because there are many on this board who have NO idea what we are talking about LOL.)

As for the finishing a novel thang, sometimes, I get stuck but not with what to write but how I want to write it. I always love writing the climax of my stories, but I get caught up in using the perfects words/sentences to convey it and will write and rewrite the same thing twenty different ways. Very frustrating.

Lisa, what kind of phone do you have? I would think that info would be available somewhere in settings. That's where it is on my iPhone.

RRK

I named the dog Indiana
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Thursday, all!

I actually have the opposite problem--I tend to plow through my last 10K words in a couple of days, then spend another couple of days congratulating myself. When I look at it again, those last 10K are invariably the worst part of the book and have to be completely redone.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I usually love my endings, haha. I usually speed through the climax, though, because I get all intense and emotional.

:welcome: SeeM0

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Happy Thursday, all!

I actually have the opposite problem--I tend to plow through my last 10K words in a couple of days, then spend another couple of days congratulating myself. When I look at it again, those last 10K are invariably the worst part of the book and have to be completely redone.

hahaha... that's kind of funny. It's so interesting how different we all are as writers and where we struggle in the process.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Sage, what was the special name we had for each other when we were querying together back a few years ago? I've been racking my brain for the term we came up with and I cannot remember for the life of me. grrrr....

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Samsung Galaxy Ace.

I must confess, as I get nearer and nearer to the end of Paragon Academy, I'm getting more and more excited.

nightowling

Maybe it was Utah.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi SeeM0!

Does it feel like Friday to anyone else? This week is moving slowly...

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Get to go to the veteranarian and discuss the options left for my dog. She had pneumonia, then liver problems, now she's piddling on herself in her sleep. :(

lots of fun.

Stuck In Kansas

Registered
Reaction score
And a midwestern welcome to SeeMO and Freyja!

Parump, good luck with your dog. How old is she? Hoping for the best.

Fired off another query to RH today. Different type book, sorta' a darkly comical suspense epic. Fingers crossed but I ain't gonna' get too het up yet. There seems to be not so many options for this type of book in the e-pubbing world. (Erotica here I come! Yeah, except, no. Could you imagine the unholy terrors I'd unleash in that genre? I shudder to think about it).

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, Kansas! And I still say go for it on the erotica. I think a male written erotica from the male pov would be HAWT. :D You can always have your wife read it. If she attacks, you're good to go ;). lol

Status
Not open for further replies.